Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Abnormal: Stuttering, Symptom or Just Something That's Happening?
MOM OF 4 07:07 PM 10-06-2014
So the last 3 days or so, I noticed my son who has NEVER stuttered before, started stuttering. He is 7. He complained of a headache all weekend, but today seems perfectly fine and acting normally, other than the stuttering.

IDK, it's just the last few days, but it makes me wonder: is this just something that's happening because it was going to happen or is something more serious possible? I'll be calling his dr tomorrow to see what they say, just wanted to see if anyone else had any similar things going on.
Michael 09:09 PM 10-06-2014
A few more threads on stuttering https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=stuttering
MOM OF 4 09:36 PM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:
A few more threads on stuttering https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=stuttering
Thanks! I am going to check them out. I am not sure if I should be concerned, or if it's nothing serious.
finsup 09:19 AM 10-07-2014
I had a 3 year old here who would do that once and a while. For him it would happen if he was nervous about something. The dr wasn't concerned and said he would most likely outgrow it
Indoorvoice 10:35 AM 10-07-2014
7 seems a little old to begin stuttering suddenly, but I doubt it is due to something serious. Any changes recently or something he may be feeling anxious about? I remember my brother started stuttering when he started school and we figured out that it was because he felt like he had to quick get out his thoughts or no one would listen. We started to tell him to slow down and that we were listening and the stutter disappeared. I don't think stuttering is really linked to any medical conditions.
Cradle2crayons 12:15 PM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
7 seems a little old to begin stuttering suddenly, but I doubt it is due to something serious. Any changes recently or something he may be feeling anxious about? I remember my brother started stuttering when he started school and we figured out that it was because he felt like he had to quick get out his thoughts or no one would listen. We started to tell him to slow down and that we were listening and the stutter disappeared. I don't think stuttering is really linked to any medical conditions.
I agree that 7 is a tad late for it to begin also.

If you can't put your finger on anything new or different or anything that's happened recently, it may warrant calling his ped.
SignMeUp 12:49 PM 10-07-2014
Here's a little handout our school system gave me a few years ago, and a one-page summary.
I also have a booklet with more information. It's old, but I have used the techniques with several of my child care children over the years. It was given to me by one of my parents who was a special ed teacher, whose own child had a stutter sometimes. Let me know if you want it, and I'll see if I can get it to you.

(I didn't mean to attach the page ending in 007 - can't figure out how to delete it.)
Attached: Speech Dysfluency Info0018.jpg (135.1 KB) Speech Dysfluency Info0017.jpg (155.3 KB) Speech Dysfluency Info0019.jpg (47.9 KB) 
Michael 02:49 PM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
(I didn't mean to attach the page ending in 007 - can't figure out how to delete it.)
I removed it for you.

How To: Click on Edit comment. You need to then click on the Go Advanced button and then scroll down to the Manage Attachments button. You can then click REMOVE button next to the image name.
SignMeUp 03:06 PM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:
I removed it for you.

How To: Click on Edit comment. You need to then click on the Go Advanced button and then scroll down to the Manage Attachments button. You can then click REMOVE button next to the image name.
Thanks, Michael
Tags:forum question - picture removal, stuttering
Reply Up