Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diarrhea Due to Antibiotics...
happykidschildcare 08:37 AM 05-24-2010
So finally after a month of complete crankiness dcm takes dcb to the dr and dcb has double ear infections. So dcm drops him today and says he has Diarrhea from the anitibiotics, does anyone have policy or rule about dealing with this? my policy reads;
Parents please do not bring your child to daycare if any of the following exist:
* Fever 100* or higher ( within past 24 hr)
* Vomiting ( any vomiting in the past 24 hrs)
* Diarrhea ( 2 or more loose bowel movements with in the past 24 hrs.)

But is it wrong to send him home if its due to the meds? He only been here an hour and Ive already changed him 3X...
alyssyn 08:47 AM 05-24-2010
As long as I knew it was from the antibotics and had no other symptoms as vomiting, and fever I personally wouldn't send him home. Sometimes meds like that can mess up their little stomachs. I've had an experience like that and it cleared up when his body got used to the med. So, I think it will eventually pass. Bad thing is it makes it harder on you having to change him so often.
Hopefully this to shall pass!
momma2girls 09:20 AM 05-24-2010
I send home if have more than one diarrhea episode.
emosks 10:09 AM 05-24-2010
If we know it's due to meds then no...we'd keep them.. Heck...we have one little guy that poops 4-5 a day normally!!
PositvityRuLes 10:18 AM 05-24-2010
"Heck...we have one little guy that poops 4-5 a day normally!!"
TGT09 11:06 AM 05-24-2010
I had the exact same thing week before last. Dcb had an ear infection and got brick red diarrhea from it. I would not send home for this knowing I was pre-warned from a parent that the doc said this could happen. However, if nothing was said and you didn't know he was on antibiotics...totally different.
pigletsmommy 11:25 AM 05-24-2010
Normally I do not send home if its due to antiobiotics.

However, last month I had a dcg who had explosive diarrhea. She was sitting in a corner playing with another child when all of a sudden there was an awful smell. I look over to see it all over my carpeting and the other child. I did call the parents and send her home.

They said it was from the antibiotics but 2 days later I had an "upset stomach". Maybe coincidence...maybe not.
Crystal 12:24 PM 05-24-2010
It depends. If it is containable, meaning it doesn't come out of the diaper at all, I'd keep him. But if it is not, it is not possible for you to continue dealing with that mess and provide adequate care for everyone else and I'd send home. 3X is alot, even if it from meds. He needs extra attention to make sure that he doesn't get dehydrated and to change him. Too much extra attention needed means he needs to be at home with parents who can provide one on one supervision.
jen 01:18 PM 05-24-2010
I'm with Crystal on this one!
TGT09 02:30 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
It depends. If it is containable, meaning it doesn't come out of the diaper at all, I'd keep him. But if it is not, it is not possible for you to continue dealing with that mess and provide adequate care for everyone else and I'd send home. 3X is alot, even if it from meds. He needs extra attention to make sure that he doesn't get dehydrated and to change him. Too much extra attention needed means he needs to be at home with parents who can provide one on one supervision.
I'm not retracting what I said earlier but I do agree that if it's leaving the diaper then it becomes a sanitary issue as well. Depending on age of child, you may want to have mom contact dr. to see what they should do for dehydration now on top of it. 9 month old dcb that I had with the ear infection, we were giving him a bottle of water at least once a day.
emosks 05:13 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by PositvityRuLes:
"Heck...we have one little guy that poops 4-5 a day normally!!"
And that is the low end of his poops. LOL.
Unregistered 06:48 AM 05-25-2010
I have same policy no child aloud in care with fever of 101 or more, vomiting, diaherra, anything contagious such as pink eye, hand foot and mouth, etc. BUT I will watch a child if the fever is due to an ear infection with doctors note and if the diaherra is due to antibotics and actually some children also have a slight fever and diaherra from teething my little girl did in that case I require a note from the doctor and a letter written by the parent stating this is what the fever and diaherra is from.
Tags:antibiotics, diarrhea
Reply Up