Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>What's Your Favorite Preschool Curriculum?
MsJoy 11:15 AM 11-30-2010
Looking for ideas for great preschool curriculums. I'm going to be opening a nature-based preschool but the curriculum doesn't have to be strictly nature-based (though that would be a great bonus!)

Ideas and thoughts?

Thanks
Crystal 11:50 AM 11-30-2010
No boxed/canned curriculums, ESPECIALLY if you're nature-based.

I highly recommend these books, they are very in tune with the Reggio Emilia approach to teaching/learning:

http://www.amazon.com/Emergent-Curri...1148701&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Toget...1148739&sr=1-1

Read them cover to cover (easy to do, they are THAT interesting) and you'll discover how to implement your own curriculum without having to go by someone else's ideals for teaching.
MsJoy 08:25 AM 12-02-2010
These look GREAT thanks so much!
MommyMuffin 11:59 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by MsJoy:
Looking for ideas for great preschool curriculums. I'm going to be opening a nature-based preschool but the curriculum doesn't have to be strictly nature-based (though that would be a great bonus!)

Ideas and thoughts?

Thanks
This may sound stupid but I was wondering what does a nature based preschool look like? Just curious..it sounds neat.
Crystal 12:07 PM 12-03-2010
Lots of outdoor play....in natural environments, not plastic environments. some elements of a nature based program: Animals, sand and water, respect for nature, making mud pies, caring for the environment, gardening, recycling, lots of loose parts instead of purchased plastic toys.

Basically anything related to nature can be and is a part of the program. Children learn through hands-on, real-life and play-based experiences rather than through pre-planned, pre-packaged curriculums. You won't see worksheets, dittos, coloring pages, etc., in a nature-based program. Nature is inside in addition to outside: plants, animals, flowing water, smells of nature/pine, cinnamon, mint, etc. Children learn to care for the animals, the plants. They learn were their food comes from and what plants are for. etc.
MommyMuffin 12:09 PM 12-03-2010
I asked my husband to buy those books for me for christmas! I sure hope he does. Thanks for the info.
Tags:curriculum, preschool, preschool curriculum
Reply Up