Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Seems A Little Outrageous
badams 10:56 AM 01-15-2012
"Openings MON-F. Days and evenings. Part-time and full-time.
7:00 am. to 11:00pm. Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided.
Getting your child ready for Kindergarden. Teaching them
how to interact and sharing with others. Also there will
be arts and crafts and story time. I have 28 yrs exp. Big fenced yard.
150.00 wk for 3, 125.00 week for 2, and 85.00 week for 1.(toddlers 2 and up)
infants 100.00 week. 614-886-6016 ( I am a non-smoker)Have ref."

Pulled this from a craigslist ad. Seems a little out there that someone would be open basically all day and charged so little for care.

What are your thoughts on this? I mean, it's anyone's right to choose price/hours for their business, I just wanted to know some of your opinions.
Breezy 11:13 AM 01-15-2012
Norm around here.....sigh. And what most parents expect.
Sunchimes 11:16 AM 01-15-2012
Standard around here too. I offer odd hours too-had to to get started. $85 a week. I have inched that up a bit for one of mine, but I think she's going to quit over it.
Mary Poppins 11:18 AM 01-15-2012
Sounds like a recipe for a very stressed out dcp who burns out quickly. I wouldn't want to leave my child with someone who works those hours but that's just me.
SilverSabre25 12:19 PM 01-15-2012
ha, you must be close to me. I see that ad *all the time* and have for months. Seems to be working for them. I'm not sure where in the city they are, but there are pockets around here where that is the standard price for care. Along with the $10/day person and several $60/week. I charge more than that, but many, many people want cheaper care.
Nellie 02:16 PM 01-15-2012
I have been seeing ads like that recently. Unless they are on a food program or kids are required to bring there snacks, meals, and drinks I don't see how they could make it. I am not on the food program so and am greatly considering it. Some of the most recent ads that have 90 to 100 per week charges are lisensed daycares that are on the food program. The last 3 I've seen had websites and I looked into them. The hours for the 90/per week offered pretty limited hours. 90 bucks got you 34 hours of care, it didn't say how much extra hours would cost but I'm assuming if some one needs the 45 hours norm for around here they will be paying regular price.

Personally when I looked for daycare the first 3 cheap daycares I looked at were a no go. Very small play area, hardly any toys, all the kids sitting around a tv, no toys in the yard, no yard, fish sticks and FF sitting out on the stove(left over lunch). After that I never even bothered looking into those places. Granted times have changed. That was 13 years ago and daycares had the upperhand. Now it seems like parents have the upper hand. More moms are staying at home and taking on one or two extra children. Personally I can't bash anyone that is working hard trying to make it.
Countrygal 02:26 PM 01-15-2012
I'm afraid the going rate around here is 2.00 per hour. That translates to $80 per week. Because I offer crafts, pre-school educational instruction, games, fine and gross motor skills, etc, I charge slightly more, but am having trouble filling up. I give no discount for a second child, either.

I am open 15 hours per day (max allowed) and am probably going to go to 7 days per week. Most people around here work early or late on their shift (or overtime) and weekends. That was my problem. I could never find a daycare that provided the hours I needed. I opened specifically to try to help single parents who struggle with this problem.

We are limited as to the number of hours a child can spend in daycare in this state, so it's not really as bad as it looks. Right now I have children 5:30 am to 4:30 pm three days per week and 7:30 to 4:30 the other two, even tho the books say I'm open until 9. I work weekends at a second job. I am seriously considering giving up the second job to be open weekends. What's the difference if I'm watching kids in my own home or going out to work and paying a babysitter (I make almost as much by being home and can still be home). As it translates now, I will still have the exact same number of days(and hours) off per month (maybe more), and be able to be home with my 5yo.

So, while it may look like a lot on paper, it is not usually that way in actuality.
Countrygal 02:28 PM 01-15-2012
Originally Posted by Nellie:
I have been seeing ads like that recently. Unless they are on a food program or kids are required to bring there snacks, meals, and drinks I don't see how they could make it. I am not on the food program so and am greatly considering it. Some of the most recent ads that have 90 to 100 per week charges are lisensed daycares that are on the food program. The last 3 I've seen had websites and I looked into them. The hours for the 90/per week offered pretty limited hours. 90 bucks got you 34 hours of care, it didn't say how much extra hours would cost but I'm assuming if some one needs the 45 hours norm for around here they will be paying regular price.

Personally when I looked for daycare the first 3 cheap daycares I looked at were a no go. Very small play area, hardly any toys, all the kids sitting around a tv, no toys in the yard, no yard, fish sticks and FF sitting out on the stove(left over lunch). After that I never even bothered looking into those places. Granted times have changed. That was 13 years ago and daycares had the upperhand. Now it seems like parents have the upper hand. More moms are staying at home and taking on one or two extra children. Personally I can't bash anyone that is working hard trying to make it.
Unfortunately, that's how most of the 2.00 per hour daycares are around here as well. That's why I didn't use them, and why I had trouble finding care. :P
Mary Poppins 07:42 PM 01-15-2012
I found one tonight that said times are tough so she has no "rate" and just charges "whatever you can afford".

PitterPatter 08:16 PM 01-15-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
I found one tonight that said times are tough so she has no "rate" and just charges "whatever you can afford".

I would looove to see her clients! I bet they all plead poverty and make their own rules! Poor sucker will be overwhelmed in no time!
Countrygal 03:48 AM 01-16-2012
WOW!!! I wish her the best of luck! Doesn't seem to wise to me, tho. That's why I chose certification - so I could accept the state childcare subsidy.

Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:

Cat Herder 05:31 AM 01-16-2012
It may be that she works on contracted hours and the hours are variable to her clients at any given time?

The rates, unfortunately, sound right on track for my region.
Tags:craig's list, craigs list
Reply Up