Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Get Rid of Sibling Discount or Raise Infant Rate?? Which Would You Do?
SunflowerMama 10:04 AM 03-21-2012
I'm starting 3 new sibling infants over the next 2 - 6 months. I made the decision to offer a sibling discount a few years back and now it's coming back to bite me with 3 families with siblings. It's an unwritten discount I just offered on a whim and not something listed in my handbook (kicking myself now).

I charge a flate rate regardless of age. The average family is paying $160/week per child.

I need to make a change to my policies to either eliminate the sibling discount (approx. $15/week discount) or raise my infant rate because with 3 families paying a sibling discount and my required decrease in numbers due to ratio and infant numbers it's something I need to do.

I know neither will be completely welcomed with open arms but which do you think would go over better with the masses?

I do provide cloth diapers (monthly diaper service cost) and wipes for the infants.

I don't provide infant food but I was thinking that maybe I could add that as an additional service if I decide to raise infant rates.

If you raised the infant rate what would be an appropriate increase to the $160/week rate? And up to what age would charge an infant rate?

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Ariana 10:15 AM 03-21-2012
I would get rid of the sibling discount personally. I would just cite rising costs as the reason since you use just as many wipes and diapers on the 2nd kid as the 1st. I honestly don't see why people offer it or how they can afford to offer it.
SunflowerMama 10:24 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would get rid of the sibling discount personally. I would just cite rising costs as the reason since you use just as many wipes and diapers on the 2nd kid as the 1st. I honestly don't see why people offer it or how they can afford to offer it.
Believe me I completely regretted it after the first year. I was just getting started and just trying to get families so I agreed to it. I would never do it again.
daycare 10:27 AM 03-21-2012
I agree no sibling discount, or if you do give one, make it very minimal.
MyAngels 11:27 AM 03-21-2012
If I could choose to do only one I would get rid of the sibling discount as that has a more far-reaching effect on your bottom line.
Blackcat31 11:32 AM 03-21-2012
You could just tell the parents that you will gladly give sibling discounts but before you do that you will now be raising everyone's rates so that you can afford to give the discount.

Instead of $160/$145 per week, care for two kids will now be $175/$160. Let them choose which option they want.

$160 for EACH child or the new rates with sibling discounts.

I think you should simply eliminate the sibling discount and tell the parents that due to the required adult to child ratios when it comes to infants and toddlers, you cannot financially afford the sibling discount any more.

If they don't understand then oh well....I know it is hard but everyone wants to get a break yet no one wants to give one....kwim?
SunflowerMama 11:43 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You could just tell the parents that you will gladly give sibling discounts but before you do that you will now be raising everyone's rates so that you can afford to give the discount.

Instead of $160/$145 per week, care for two kids will now be $175/$160. Let them choose which option they want.

$160 for EACH child or the new rates with sibling discounts.

I think you should simply eliminate the sibling discount and tell the parents that due to the required adult to child ratios when it comes to infants and toddlers, you cannot financially afford the sibling discount any more.

If they don't understand then oh well....I know it is hard but everyone wants to get a break yet no one wants to give one....kwim?
I totally agree! At first I thought "oh well it's just $15/week" but then it was $30/week and soon it'll be $45 a week and at that rate I'd be losing $2,300 a year. I just can't take that big of a loss.
cheerfuldom 12:58 PM 03-21-2012
no discounts here....I dont provide discounted quality of service for a sibling so why should I receive discounted pay? Plus infants are more work in some ways.
wdmmom 01:11 PM 03-21-2012
I would charge the regular $160 a week and if they ask, tell them that rate increases took effect January 1. The $160 is the discounted rate.
VTMom 06:11 AM 03-22-2012
I eliminated my sibling discounts last year. You could explain that with rising costs (gas, heating, food, etc) you can no longer offer sibling discounts. I'd add that by doing this, you avoid having to raise rates.
GoodKarma 08:45 AM 03-22-2012
I would cancel the sibling discount.
Tags:infant - rates, rate increase, sibling discount
Reply Up