Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do I Do??
GeorgiaPeach 12:31 PM 03-10-2013
Advice please……

I have a family (2kids ages 2-1/2 and 3mo). Their schedule is going to be changing due to Dad’s work schedule changing. Right now, they come MTWF 10:30-5pm. Dad’s new schedule would have their times varying from 5:30am-3:30pm or the 10:30-5pm some days. That means I will be opening up 1/2hr early for this family according to my contract, but really 2hrs earlier than I have anyone else scheduled. They have given me a written schedule of which days the kids will be here at what times, but instead gave me a copy of Dad’s schedule and pretty much left me to figure it out on my own! I emailed Mom and told her that I needed a schedule of when the kids were going to be in my care, not of when her husband was going to be working. This is the reply I got back…………….

Well figure something out today. They will be there early next Monday and Tuesday...then normal time Wednesday...off Thursday and normal time Friday.

Still does not tell me the exact times! What do I do?

I also have issues with this Mom spending 30mins here every night at pick up! I try and have the 2-1/2yr old go down and get his shoes on and hand baby to Mom while telling her about baby’s day. The other day, the little boy got his boots on then came back up the steps were Mom was sitting with the carseat…still holding baby. I told him that he had to wait at the door, because no boots are allowed upstairs. Mom actually went and took his boots back off and let him back up the stairs to play!! I don’t want to be a completely jerk, but I have things to do at night as well and don’t have the time to sit and chat about how horrible her work day was or about how much she was able to pump on lunch! What do I do?
sahm1225 12:38 PM 03-10-2013
I think I'm missing something - Monday & Tuesday 5:30am-3:30 and Wednesday & Friday 10:30-5.

I'm going to let someone else comment on the other things because they will give you better advice. I would've said NO to opening earlier
GeorgiaPeach 12:44 PM 03-10-2013
Sorry, I should have mentioned that they stated the times would be around 5:30am and that Dad would come and pick then kids up once he woke up around 3pm.....therefore nothing is actually a solid time. I have a late pick up policy, so I just wonder if they figure they don't give exact times, then I can't charge them anything.

I shouldn't have agree to open earlier, but they have been a daycare family of mine for over a year.....and stupid me....I am a complete pushover!
NeedaVaca 02:15 PM 03-10-2013
You are going to have to be more firm at pick ups. I do not allow lingering, they should be out the door within 5 minutes for sure. If I had seen mom taking his shoes off I would have said something. Type up a letter asking for specific drop off pick up times and put in a little reminder about quick transitions for pick up/drop offs and state that they should be in and out in 5 minutes or less.
Candy 03:15 PM 03-10-2013
What did you put in your contract to make you have to get up 2 hours early? Personally i would have told them to find a different childcare for M&T, i just couldn't get up that early. As for mom all you can do is just have them ready when she gets there.
Springdaze 03:31 PM 03-10-2013
I would probably say yes because I'm a jerk like that but I have a feeling that the dad is going to wake up later and later every day
JLH 04:41 PM 03-10-2013
You should probably have said no from the beginning but now you are going to have to go through the hassle of getting her pinned down to what days she actually needs care and what times. Try pulling out a "parent childcare agreement form" or daycare contract, and have everything filled in on it (rates, days she wants care, late payment and pick up fees, etc) and ready to go. When mom comes in, sit down and ask her to fill in the drop off and pick up times on the form and sign it. Tell her you need it for licensing and for her child's file, and then if it doesn't work for you be prepared to tell her no.

I made this mistake about a month ago. Family said they needed to come 1 and a half hours earlier than anyone else comes, but for just a couple of days to get trained at work. Over the past few weeks it has gone from that to mom bringing him 2 hours early every single day. I finally asked her about it and she said she told her work to switch her schedule over permanently to that early. I couldn't believe it! Without even asking me! Left me, my hubby and all 3 of our kids up at 4:30 every morning, not to mention working over 13 hours a day. Some people don't stop to realize that just because their child goes home earlier doesn't mean we get off work early. After working over 60 hours last week, I spent Friday night in the emergency room afraid that I was having a miscarriage at only 4 weeks pregnant. Needless to say, I told that mom that she needs to switch her schedule back to a 7am drop off time. We don't think I lost the baby but we won't know for another week or 2.

People just don't realize the effect that their actions have on others. We have lives and families too! Hope this helps give you the strength you need to stand up for yourself with her. Best of luck to you!
JLH 04:59 PM 03-10-2013
Funny, I was thinking the same thing about the dad sleeping in later and later. lol
GeorgiaPeach 05:32 PM 03-10-2013
Her husband's schedule is so goofy, he works 2 days then 2 off then 3 days 3 off. That's why I told her I wanted a calendar written up each month. We will see if I get it, the new schedule starts on the 18th. If it comes down to it affecting my family (I have a 5yr old and 2yr old...along with another one due in July), then I will have to give them notice. I just don't know how to be firm about it all! I am crazy and just feel bad for ppl, especially those with infants...because it is so hard to find a spot for them! I need to be tough and grow a backbone!!
mbullette 06:43 PM 03-10-2013
Personally I would have never opened up that early for them. You have normal business hours and I would have stuck to them.

Have the baby in the car seat and the boy dressed. Be waiting at the door with them and dont even let her in. When she starts walking up have the boy start going out the door and hand the baby to her. Tell her very little about their day and see you tomorrow. Maybe having a infant daily log and send it home each day. I do this because then I dont have to spend time telling them about their day. I have my kids ready and the parents dont even come in the house at pick up. I have a life and family and by 5pm I dont want extra kids. Easy fix!!!
JLH 07:05 PM 03-10-2013
Great idea on the calendar! If it was me, I would add

drop off time; ____________
pick up time; _____________

on each day. Customize it, make the parent fill it out, and have her sign it. It will make it so there is no confusion about your hours. That's just what I think I would do in your situation. Good luck!
itlw8 07:28 PM 03-10-2013
If mom picks up at 5 what time does she go to work. bet it is NOT 5:30 AM If she goes in later make HER bring the kids... of is she going to the gym before work??

as for her hanging around SPEAK UP tell her your family needs you in the evening And if she hangs around you will charge a late fee up until the time she leaves out the door.
nanglgrl 07:59 PM 03-10-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
If mom picks up at 5 what time does she go to work. bet it is NOT 5:30 AM If she goes in later make HER bring the kids... of is she going to the gym before work??

as for her hanging around SPEAK UP tell her your family needs you in the evening And if she hangs around you will charge a late fee up until the time she leaves out the door.
I was going to say the same thing. I find it hard to believe they both go into work at 5:30 am. I bet if you tell them you can't open that early anymore they will change their hours to later. In most places its hard to find spots for infants and to also find a provider that opens at 5:30 would be pretty darn miraculous.

As far as not having a schedule I agree with other posters who said to make it a requirement to write it down. The staying after pick up is easily solved by getting the kids ready to go beforehand and handing them off in the doorway. If you don't want to do infant reports (I hate all of the paper waste) consider sending a quick email about their day.
GeorgiaPeach 05:39 AM 03-13-2013
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

I will try it all

The only thing on getting the infant ready.....if I get her into the carseat and buckled in, couldn't I be reliable if something happens...say in an accident or something?

Monday night worked out great! I had another parent come about 5-10min after she got here....leaving her no time to sit! Last night, was a different story. My sub was here and she even had to sit and talk with her for over 20 min!

And unfortunately the parents' schedule is...Dad 7pm-7am (random days through out the week) and Mom 6am-4:30pm (4 days a week). So will see how this works out starting next week....I may have a couple of vacancies!
Tags:early arrival - policy
Reply Up