Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ooooh That Smell....
coolconfidentme 10:22 AM 06-25-2013
....Can't you smell that smell?
Blankies. Clothes. Kids. You name it. Some kids walk in the door smelling like they live in the streets. Blankets are the worst! Smelling of sour milk, pets, cigarettes, urine, etc. They are usually the poorer kids unfortunately. I feel sorry for them & wonder if anybody says anything to the parents. Do you?
Brooksie 10:51 AM 06-25-2013
Fortunately I don't have any children in these circumstances although one of my little boys back up change of clothes occasionally smells of cigarettes. I do how ever know the smell you're referring to and can pick it out passing kids or even adults in the stores. Always gut wrenching. Couldn't imagine caring for a child and knowing someone on a personal level that smells that way. It would break my heart. Honestly I would probably buy back up clothes for this child that stay at my house and work morning bath into the daily routine.. or at least wipe them down with a warm soapy wash cloth. I couldn't allow that kind of poor hygiene on any child in my care, and obviously its not their fault, and they probably know nothing of it since thats the environment they grew up in. So sad.
coolconfidentme 11:11 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Fortunately I don't have any children in these circumstances although one of my little boys back up change of clothes occasionally smells of cigarettes. I do how ever know the smell you're referring to and can pick it out passing kids or even adults in the stores. Always gut wrenching. Couldn't imagine caring for a child and knowing someone on a personal level that smells that way. It would break my heart. Honestly I would probably buy back up clothes for this child that stay at my house and work morning bath into the daily routine.. or at least wipe them down with a warm soapy wash cloth. I couldn't allow that kind of poor hygiene on any child in my care, and obviously its not their fault, and they probably know nothing of it since thats the environment they grew up in. So sad.
We wash up as a group, just so the children don't feel different. (My state doesn't allow me to bath them.) I don't understand how parent can let their children live like that. Sad...
Play Care 11:19 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
....Can't you smell that smell?
Blankies. Clothes. Kids. You name it. Some kids walk in the door smelling like they live in the streets. Blankets are the worst! Smelling of sour milk, pets, cigarettes, urine, etc. They are usually the poorer kids unfortunately. I feel sorry for them & wonder if anybody says anything to the parents. Do you?
I have one dc kid that brings in a blankie for quiet time. Fine, but today it came in and smelled awful! Urine, cologne, sour something (I don't even want to speculate) I wound up washing it (hot water/sani cycle) because BLECCCCK!
daycarediva 11:59 AM 06-25-2013
Blankets/lovies are left here. I wash them and they are returned to the child's cubby. I don't let the back and forth happen. I once reached my hand into a bag for a lovey before nap, and it was SOAKED in urine.

I would- mention to parents that dck was stinky this morning, and you washed him up good after breakfast.

I would- ask for 2-3 changes of clothing, and wash them. When dck's clothes are dirty, I would wash them myself and put him in clean clothes.

I do this, as a 'service' to parents, but ime it's a service to myself to not send supplies home that never come back, or come back stinky.

I have several smokers as dcp's and those are the worst offenders, and one who thought a 1x/week bath for a 2yo was acceptable until I mentioned that dck smelled, was dirty, etc, and now I say "We had fun today, look at those dirty legs. Bath night again for you tonight buddy!" right in front of the parents.
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:34 PM 06-25-2013
I never thought of keeping the dirty clothes here to wash and have ready for next time!!! That is a GREAT idea. I have called parents at work to bring clothes after a potty accident, or had kids leave here half-naked! I've begged, pleaded, and threatened with no entry without a change. To think it could have been that easy!
Cradle2crayons 12:52 PM 06-25-2013
I guess I'm lucky because I don't have this problem. I ask parents to bring me a grocery sack full of play clothes, underwear and socks with every season change. They stay in their drawer and when I need to change them I change them, row their clothes in my laundry with my stuff, wash it up and put it in their drawer.

I've never had a problem with having too few clothes, I have a problem sometimes of having too MANY clothes for each child. And of course my husband gets confused as to whose clothes are whose when the laundry is done haha.

I do see how it could be frustrating though.
Tags:odor
Reply Up