Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Smelly DCG
daycarediva 11:28 AM 01-27-2015
Say something or leave it? I don't even know how to go about this.

Dcg is newly potty trained. She isn't bathed daily, every other I would guess. Her hair smells like shampoo. But she SMELLS. These are not negligent parents, by any means. She did NOT smell badly before PT'ing. I was wiping her up with a wet wipe after the first pottying of the day, but she is now capable of doing it all herself. She sat in my lap today and I almost gagged. It is only her 'diaper' area, and it smells like I imagine it would if I left my underwear on for a week and sneezed while 9 months pregnant.... a few days ago. I'm assuming they aren't wiping her after an overnight pull-up?

Would you just insist that dcg get help on the first daily potty trip? Say something to the parents? WHAT? (they have to smell that, right?!) I also don't want them to think it's because of ME not wiping her/happening here.
Play Care 12:22 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Say something or leave it? I don't even know how to go about this.

Dcg is newly potty trained. She isn't bathed daily, every other I would guess. Her hair smells like shampoo. But she SMELLS. These are not negligent parents, by any means. She did NOT smell badly before PT'ing. I was wiping her up with a wet wipe after the first pottying of the day, but she is now capable of doing it all herself. She sat in my lap today and I almost gagged. It is only her 'diaper' area, and it smells like I imagine it would if I left my underwear on for a week and sneezed while 9 months pregnant.... a few days ago. I'm assuming they aren't wiping her after an overnight pull-up?

Would you just insist that dcg get help on the first daily potty trip? Say something to the parents? WHAT? (they have to smell that, right?!) I also don't want them to think it's because of ME not wiping her/happening here.
This is an uncomfortable conversation, but yes I've had to have it.

"Dcm, now that DCG is is using the potty I've noticed a strong odor, have you noticed this? We are working on proper wiping technique here (I leave it at that. Parents may think that means I wipe. I don't...)When my kids were at that stage I found a short daily bath really helped. Especially with the girls, infection is a real concern."
That usually helps.
homeishere 01:10 PM 01-27-2015
Ugh. My son is the smelly one so I'll be watching this for tips. He's bathed daily, but is a very sweaty child. I was hoping when he got out of diapers and wearing breathable underpants it would improve, but no such luck.

I would still bing it up to the parents, they most likely know and it could be useful to her what, if anything, that are trying at home to remedy the situation.
Play Care 01:18 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by homeishere:
Ugh. My son is the smelly one so I'll be watching this for tips. He's bathed daily, but is a very sweaty child. I was hoping when he got out of diapers and wearing breathable underpants it would improve, but no such luck.

I would still bing it up to the parents, they most likely know and it could be useful to her what, if anything, that are trying at home to remedy the situation.
Have you mentioned it to the doctor? Do they have ideas or suggestions? Could it be a food he eats or medication he takes?

I noticed last year that my then 7 yo dd came home from school on hot days smelling like a 200lb man after a hard workout
So I gave in and we use deoderant on warms days
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 01:20 PM 01-27-2015
Totally was coming to post this as well. My one dcg who is in cloth diapers and isn't given a bath even every other day. The other day mom even said she wasn't sure the last time they had a bath. The girl "diaper" area is awful smell even after I wipe her. I'm not sure if it is the cloth diapers or what. I even thought about marking the kids under their arms to see how long it takes for the marker to be removed. I'm not sure how to bring up this conversation either.
Febby 02:23 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by Cozy_Kids_Childcare:
Totally was coming to post this as well. My one dcg who is in cloth diapers and isn't given a bath even every other day. The other day mom even said she wasn't sure the last time they had a bath. The girl "diaper" area is awful smell even after I wipe her. I'm not sure if it is the cloth diapers or what. I even thought about marking the kids under their arms to see how long it takes for the marker to be removed. I'm not sure how to bring up this conversation either.
Could it be the diapers themselves? I've run into smelly cloth diapers before.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 06:37 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
Could it be the diapers themselves? I've run into smelly cloth diapers before.
It could be the diapers making her smell that way, but it's all the time.
sahm1225 09:26 PM 01-27-2015
I think that smell is from the pull ups themselves. I
Don't know what it is in them but any girl
Ive had in daycare with pull ups gets that smell. It's smells so bad!

I usually put them on the changing table and give them a good wipe, then a little diaper rash cream, followed by a fresh pull up. The rash cream either masks the odor or keeps it from getting smelly, not sure which one but it helps!
Tags:odor, smelly kids, wiping
Reply Up