Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink Eye
finsup 05:18 PM 02-19-2016
So dcb had a cold Thursday...it was borderline of if he should even be here. I wrote a note home to dcm saying basically "I know he doesn't have a fever (the only thing she wants to keep him home for lately) and its hard to miss work but unless there is a drastic improvement, he should stay home tomorrow and rest. Rest does not happen here except at nap time." Really I should have just sent him home, lesson learned...the hard way...again *sigh* lol. Dcb was kept home today. Then I get a text stating his cold turned into bacterial pink eye, the Dr diagnosed over the phone and started meds this afternoon so he should be fine by Monday. Now, generally my rule is 24 hours on antibiotics and you're good to return. BUT seeing as there's no way to tell if it's truly bacterial or viral, is it fair to say if he has any eye issues on Monday to stay home until symptoms have resolved?

This family used to be wonderful about respecting sick policy. The last 6 months it's been "we just can't loose hours at work..." "We've used up so much sick time (for themselves)" and honestly I'm just fed up. I don't want to react too harshly because I'm angry so I thought I'd run it by you guys first.

Oh and no policy on pink eye. I guess I should have it, it is pretty common but I never thought to add it specifically. It's never been an issue before. Will be adding it now though!
mamamanda 05:35 PM 02-19-2016
My son had a cold last week that turned into a sinus infection and this is really gross, but his sinuses were so full gunk was leaking out of his eye. I took him to the Dr. & she treated all of it with antibiotics. She explained to me that although its technically a form of pink eye, when it is linked to a cold/infection like that it is not considered contagious like normal pink eye. It is more your body's reaction to the infection. So although in theory the goop in the eye would be contagious just as snot is contagious, if he started antibiotics today I wouldn't exclude on Monday.

I'm with you though. I wish parents would just keep their kids home when they know they're sick. Even if they're not technically sick enough to be excluded per your contract, you know those little ones would feel better resting at home with mommy or daddy when they're battling such nasty colds. And it would be nice to not bring it in to the other kids as well. Wishful thinking

You really should add a section on pink eye in your handbook just to make things easier for you. I always tell parents 24 hours after starting antibiotics.
finsup 06:00 PM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
My son had a cold last week that turned into a sinus infection and this is really gross, but his sinuses were so full gunk was leaking out of his eye. I took him to the Dr. & she treated all of it with antibiotics. She explained to me that although its technically a form of pink eye, when it is linked to a cold/infection like that it is not considered contagious like normal pink eye. It is more your body's reaction to the infection. So although in theory the goop in the eye would be contagious just as snot is contagious, if he started antibiotics today I wouldn't exclude on Monday.

I'm with you though. I wish parents would just keep their kids home when they know they're sick. Even if they're not technically sick enough to be excluded per your contract, you know those little ones would feel better resting at home with mommy or daddy when they're battling such nasty colds. And it would be nice to not bring it in to the other kids as well. Wishful thinking

You really should add a section on pink eye in your handbook just to make things easier for you. I always tell parents 24 hours after starting antibiotics.
I was almost thinking something like that about the cold coming out through yuckiness in the eyes. I'm really glad he's going to have the whole weekend to recover from it!
Yup I wanted to say "so you and dcd can take days off when your sick but not when your kid needs it?!" He's 2...he needs rest, in his own bed, and his mom. Smh.
Yes, I am definitely adding it! I'm kind of thinking duh...why did I not have this in there already?? Lol.
childcaremom 06:16 PM 02-19-2016
I don't have specifically that I exclude for pink eye but that I do exclude for any unusual discharge from the eyes. So if it is goopy/crusty/etc, I would still be excluding. 24 hour goopy free.
Unregistered 06:48 PM 02-19-2016
This is where a good oozing policy comes in. My actual illness policy is written to sound professional, but I tell parents that if kids are oozing from any opening, they should be at home until it improves. That covers noses, bottoms, mouths, ears and eyes.
Josiegirl 04:45 AM 02-20-2016
I have kind of an open-ended sickness policy listing a few of the things I will not accept the child for plus adding the statement 'including but not limited to....' so it is at my discretion for accepting their child. I had a dcp tell me once that their dr. said pink-eye wasn't a reason for a child to stay home from dc. I said sorry, it is for me. Until they've been on antibiotics 24 hrs.
Josiegirl 04:47 AM 02-20-2016
Sorry, had to chuckle at 'a good oozing policy'. But it makes good sense!
lovemydaycare0912 07:44 AM 02-20-2016
I had a kid sent home Wednesday because he had crust in his eyes after nap time, one eye super watery all day and tearing, and his entire eyebrow and a little in his eye was red. Mom asked if I thought dcb could come back Thurs and I said no. Needs to be on antibiotics 24 hrs then can return. So they went to doctors, had him on antibiotics since Wed night and he returned Friday brand new.

If his eyes were still leaking then I would have reconsidered his entry. Hope this helps.
finsup 09:23 AM 02-20-2016
Thanks everyone! I'm going to check in with dcm tomorrow and see how everything is.
Unregistered 10:35 AM 02-20-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Sorry, had to chuckle at 'a good oozing policy'. But it makes good sense!
Don't be sorry That's my way of lightening things up for the dcp!
Ariana 03:06 PM 02-20-2016
You definitely need a pink eye policy!! That stuff is super contagious and gross. I exclude for 24 hours AFTER symptoms are gone. He wouldn't be at my house for a loooong time.

Pink eye is usually viral if it is from a cold and bacterial if it is by itself.
finsup 05:19 PM 02-20-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
You definitely need a pink eye policy!! That stuff is super contagious and gross. I exclude for 24 hours AFTER symptoms are gone. He wouldn't be at my house for a loooong time.

Pink eye is usually viral if it is from a cold and bacterial if it is by itself.
Good to know! This is definitely from a cold, so we'll see what happens when I check in with dcm tomorrow. So far no one else has it yet and I really want to make sure it stays that way. But yeah, 4.5yrs in business and this is the first time I have had to deal with it. You would think that having as much experience with kiddos as I've had I would have had a policy in place but nope. Dropped the ball on that one!
Unregistered 05:28 PM 02-20-2016
When it goes with a cold (viral so not treated with antibiotics) parents may say the doc said it's just a cold and it's ok to go to dc. But I don't accept them because that goop gets wiped all over the place and everyone ends up with the cold and goopy eyes which they then have to take to the doc for diagnosis. For other colds it may get spread but they don't usually end up needing the doc apptmt. I would rather just exclude for goopy eyes no matter the cause.
SnowGirl 03:08 AM 02-21-2016
My daughter also had the cold-turned-goopy thing happen to her. When we took her in they used an aspirator that was attached to the wall (high power!). The amount of stuff coming out of my kid's nose...so satisfying to see it go. It helped her out so much. She also loves when we use the aspirator at home now (just our handheld one), because she remembers how good it felt .

Parents should consider doing this for their DS...because ultimately he's suffering!
Tags:pink eye, pink eye policy, sick policy
Reply Up