Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants Picking On Each Other
Pestle 11:22 AM 06-26-2017
I'm into my second year of daycare and, for the first time, I have two fully mobile infants at the same time. I need your advice!

I have a 13mo and a 12mo who are both starting to stand and have some big ol' incisors. They will not leave each other alone. The only toy that exists is the toy in the other kid's hands. They steal each other's food and try to bite each other. Redirection is sort of working for one; the other one is stubborn and will not be redirected; she's also great about slapping the boy across the face or finding anything resembling a stick to bash him around the head with. He, on the other hand, really really really wants to bite her. Longingly. Wistfully. You can see him THINKING about it when he's watching her from across the room.

Bonus question: They both go from one object to another, sampling each one and then discarding it. Do you drop each object into a basket as soon as it gets licked, so they don't end up swapping spit, or do you let each child keep their spitty toys for a while? I think I'll literally be out of toys by lunchtime if I pick up each one as soon as they drop it.
hwichlaz 11:26 AM 06-26-2017
they need to be separated when you aren't sitting right on the floor with them...sometime between 18 months and 2 years is should lighten up...but I only say SHOULD because I have a little maniac that turned 2 in march with zero signs of mellowing.
Pestle 11:28 AM 06-26-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
they need to be separated when you aren't sitting right on the floor with them...sometime between 18 months and 2 years is should lighten up...but I only say SHOULD because I have a little maniac that turned 2 in march with zero signs of mellowing.
Sitting on the floor with them isn't working. The girl just scales me to get at him. I've been moving around all day trying to keep between them, and she pulls on me and screams in frustration and shakes me, like shaking a baby gate. She just turned the makeshift stick on me. Okay, that toy goes away for a while. I'm going to order another Regalo fence to divide the playroom.
Leigh 11:36 AM 06-26-2017
I'd invest in a playyard and rotate them inside it unless you are actively supervising play between them. Fortunately for me, I have had great luck with raising same aged babies together, and haven't dealt with this ever except for a 2 year old who started biting last year (had to term).
Tags:infants
Reply Up