Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Qualifications to Be Called a Preschool?
Core12 03:33 AM 01-16-2020
Are there any qualifications to promote your business as a preschool?
Cat Herder 08:29 AM 01-16-2020
I would expect a documentable/scaffolding preschool curriculum, assessments, lesson plans, conferences, behavior plans, family engagement program and all the other QRIS requirements.

https://www.ersi.info/fccers.html
https://ecquality.acf.hhs.gov/

That was when we were encouraged to advertise as such, once we completed the process, were observed and scored. Each state may be different, though. Education is a mandatory part of childcare here, now. It is in the basic operating requirements (rules & regs), not just "above and beyond" anymore. "Just childcare" has already been phased out.
dolores 09:30 AM 01-16-2020
We are a family daycare that promotes to parents and community as a preschool because of how our space is setup and what we offer which is a balanced program of play and learning that includes a daily schedule, preschool curriculum made up of weekly themes, letters,shapes, colors, prereading/premath skills etc. We also complete progress reports and conduct parent teacher conference twice a year,etc. So I think if you set up your family daycare like a preschool you can promote it as one.
jenboo 10:07 AM 01-16-2020
Anyone can call themselves a preschool here. It usually means they only take kids 2-5 or 3-6 years old.
CalCare 06:51 PM 01-16-2020
Anyone can be called preschool here in California. Idk about elsewhere! We can call it whatever we want. I like to use the example: "Babies Sit and Stare Daycare" where they put the babies in bumbos in front of a tv all day, but that same program can also legally be called, "Baby Einstein's preschool academy" lol
Tags:behavior observation tool, conferences, diversity, engagement, inclusive program, lesson plans, preschool curriculum, qris
Reply Up