Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm torn on what to do...
pfund2233 09:38 AM 09-30-2011
Okay. There is this guy I went to HS with who had a baby with his GF in July. I have gotten know this guy alot better in the last few years as my husband is on our local Fire Department with him and have gotten to know his GF well in the last 8mo also.

They have been BEGGING me to watch their daughter for them for the last 2mo now. I mean BEGGING!!! You should see my texts and FB messages.

I have 4 full time kids now and am pritty comfy with that as all the kids get along well and they know our routine. DCK are 2.5yrs, 20mo, 18mo and 8mo. New baby would be 4mo in mid October. This new baby would be here Monday and Wednesday noon-530 one week and Tuesday and Thursday noon-530 the next week. Meaning if I charge what I do now I'll make $25 a week from it and I just dunno if it will be worth it. I like only having 4 kids as I have 2 older kids myself and they do tons in the summer and well I have to pick up and drop off sometimes and only have room for 6. See the problem? I could change my kids schedules for the summer so everything is done in the morns tho to get past this factor. I really like the parents and the baby seems like she would be okay but I just don't know if I wanna add a 5th DCK.

Would you give it a shot to help em out? Would you keep your foot down and say "Sorry I'm full"? Would you charge more to make the hours worth your while? I just don't know what to do! HELP!!
Meyou 09:59 AM 09-30-2011
It's really hard to take an infant only two afternoons per week. They will never adjust to your house. I wouldn't do it if it was me.
Cat Herder 10:04 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
It's really hard to take an infant only two afternoons per week. They will never adjust to your house. I wouldn't do it if it was me.
Yeah, that sounds exhausting... I am with Meyou.
wdmmom 10:18 AM 09-30-2011
I'd respectfully decline telling them that you are full and don't take part time but if you change your mind or have an opening, you'll let them know.
Pammie 10:20 AM 09-30-2011
Personally, I'd politely decline, citing my policy never to take clients that are friends, relatives, or neighbors
MsMe 10:29 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I agree. I have a three day min.
nannyde 10:35 AM 09-30-2011
Be prepared for a whole lotta cryin goin on.

Three day minimum here and the pay would be 75 percent of my full fee. I don't do half day pay.
cheerfuldom 10:38 AM 09-30-2011
I would not take them....imagine the awkwardness should the baby not work out and you still have to see them all the time. you can't tell what the baby will be like as a 4 month old but it will for sure be a lot more hands on care than your other kids plus the baby is about to hit the 6-10 month "hold me all the time" stage and will never adjust to daycare at random days and times per week. sounds like nothing but trouble.
Crazy8 10:46 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I'd respectfully decline telling them that you are full and don't take part time but if you change your mind or have an opening, you'll let them know.
this. if it was JUST the fact that I knew them already I would probably still take them, but the 2 afternoons a week thing and being different days each week is a deal breaker for me. And for only $25/week - NO WAY!! Baby will never adjust and it just wouldn't be worth all the work involved.

Be firm, but friendly, explain how that type of schedule doesn't work for a home daycare environment. Be sure to let them know if their schedule needs change to a more set schedule and you have the opening you would love to have them.
cheerfuldom 10:59 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
this. if it was JUST the fact that I knew them already I would probably still take them, but the 2 afternoons a week thing and being different days each week is a deal breaker for me. And for only $25/week - NO WAY!! Baby will never adjust and it just wouldn't be worth all the work involved.

Be firm, but friendly, explain how that type of schedule doesn't work for a home daycare environment. Be sure to let them know if their schedule needs change to a more set schedule and you have the opening you would love to have them.
but only tell them that if it is true! don't lie and get cornered later. Really, you probably should have a "no friends/no relative" policy but thats up to you.
pfund2233 11:46 AM 09-30-2011
Thanks for the advice and I'm gunna stick to my guns and politely decline. Thanks again!!
Reply Up