Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Help With What To Charge Please

Hi! I'm new to posting but I've read through threads here for a long time. I've learned so much!

Here's my question: I have a few families currently and have a standard f/t rate of $125 a week; but none of the kids are here longer than 9 hours a day. I received a call from a mom wanting care for 2 kids (6 and 3) from 8-6:45 m-f. My current kids aren't here any later than 6. I'm not opposed to the later pick up time and I could use the additional income, but I'm wondering if I should increase the rate at all? It's almost 11 hours her kids would be here and I would have to stay open later.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.

Here are a couple threads on Extended Care and After Hours Care:

http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=extended+hours

http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=after+hours+care
Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Thank you, Michael!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I'd just tell them that the rate is $125 for care until 6 (as that's your normal closing time) and the additional fee is --- weekly for after hours care. Make it high enough to be worth your while. You may find that they can make a 6pm pickup work out somehow.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 AM

I agree that you should charge her your normal weekly rate for care until 6. Add an additional charge for anything that is past your normal closing time.

I would do something a little higher than the standard amount you get per hour as anything past your normal closing time is "overtime" or extended hour care....kwim?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Yes, that makes perfect sense! Thank you. I was actually looking through my Handbook and realized I have a section regarding what I charge for "overtime", which is anything past 10 hours per day. I've never had to use it so I forgot it was even in there

Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
I'd just tell them that the rate is $125 for care until 6 (as that's your normal closing time) and the additional fee is --- weekly for after hours care. Make it high enough to be worth your while. You may find that they can make a 6pm pickup work out somehow.
I agree as well. This way they know that you normally close at 6. They wouldn't other wise know if you just build it into the price.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I called her back and explained my typical f/t rate and that she would be charged an overtime fee for the additional 45 minutes each day. She was completely okay with this, loved my website, and is coming to interview on Thursday!

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyBell View Post
I called her back and explained my typical f/t rate and that she would be charged an overtime fee for the additional 45 minutes each day. She was completely okay with this, loved my website, and is coming to interview on Thursday!

Thanks again for the advice!
that is fantastic! Good luck! I hope you get the family!

Tags
after hours care, extended hours