Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fib & Brag?
KDC 10:15 AM 04-02-2014
I have a DCB just turned 4 that is constantly trying to 'out-do' everyone else, and includes adding a fib into every story. If someone got a new pair of shoes, he got 2 (much better) new pairs of shoes. He won't even let the other person finish their sentence before breaking in screaming about how much better he is than the other person. I've tried reading stories about lying or fibbing (Fibber E Frog), I've taken him aside to tell him he's a special person without the big stories and that he should just be himself. However, he just can't seem to control it. He's constantly interrupting and making others feel irritated. The other 4 yr. olds have noticed and are starting to avoid him on purpose. They've started telling secrets and have asked him to 'stop telling stories'.

I know this is a cry out for attention... anyone have any tips or tricks for dealing with this?
Starburst 11:15 PM 04-02-2014
Honestly, I understand you wanting to help him stop this to avoid further alienation of his piers but at this point I think that he needs to learn from his mistakes and that there are consequences to telling stories. If you know what he is saying is not true, then this might sound a bit mean but I would try to trick him into confusing himself and then call him on it when his story doesn't add up- "Oh really you got new shoes what color are they?", "Where did you get them from?", "what day did you get them?", "Was it sunny or raining outside?" "Oh, I really I thought it was sunny all day on Tuesday". Even if you can't confuse him, maybe the interrogation would make him not want to tell lies anymore out of fear of having to go into more detail.

If you know he is doing this for attention (especially if he is interrupting the children), then ignore him to let him know he won't get attention for this behavior and re-acknowledge the first child again; "Excuse me Johnny, but Billy was talking first and I want to hear what he has to say".
Josiegirl 03:27 AM 04-03-2014
Fibs are so normal at this age. Try to ignore them. As for the interrupting he needs to learn to wait his turn. Maybe you could designate a certain item as the 'talking stick' and whoever is holding that at the moment, should be the only one talking.

I have a dck SA who still cannot stand to lose a game or be 2nd in place to anyone. He feels the need to be best, first, have more, etc., etc., I just tell him we're all special and unique in our own way. Some kids are good at this and some are good at that. He's 6.
Tags:better than you, bragging, out doing
Reply Up