Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother's Day Idea thread :)
daycarediva 09:42 AM 05-05-2014
It's SUNDAY!

We are doing butterfly footprints on canvas, a small wooden wind chime (kids painting it first) then I am decoupaging a photo onto it.

We are also learning a new song (all last week and this week)

sung to the tune of BINGO.

There was a (boy/girl) who had a Mom.
Mommy was her name-o!
M O M M Y!

etc....

It may not sound like much, but this was $75 at Michaels! I was going to add painted pots and mini sunflowers, but I went way over budget as is.
Luna 09:49 AM 05-05-2014
We are doing the egg carton/pipe cleaner/button flowers on canvas that I saw posted on another thread, and making a card and doing a Mother's Day questionnaire. The only thing I needed to buy was the canvas, 3 for about $5 at Walmart. I'm crafty, but cheap .
sharlan 09:58 AM 05-05-2014
This sounds terrible, but I am no longer doing crafts/gifts for the parents. The kids don't really seem to care and the parents don't appreciate it.
TaylorTots 10:15 AM 05-05-2014
"My mother is ____" fill in blank page (we did this while I was making lunch today... just calling out a name to come in the kitchen and they gave me their answers as I read the sentences).

Kids are painting washers from DH's tool bin and putting a pretty ribbon around them -- mom necklaces

Maybe a handprint + typed out saying/poem by it

I run preschool 3 times a week and honestly, I can't spare a lot of our preschool time and budget to do mother's day crafts galore and that's when I have all the DCKs here.
childcaremom 10:18 AM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
This sounds terrible, but I am no longer doing crafts/gifts for the parents. The kids don't really seem to care and the parents don't appreciate it.
This is me, too.
Josiegirl 10:27 AM 05-05-2014
We planted flower seeds(but might have to go buy small plants because I should've planted a few weeks earlier!) and painted flower pots. Today we painted the 'sun on canvas' idea someone posted on here that was so cute. It has their footprints as the sun rays and then they painted a quarter sun in the corner. Now I have to get artsy(UGH!) and add Happy Mother's Day or something on them.
Chellieleanne 10:33 AM 05-05-2014
I notice this too. The parents are excited on pick up but then I notice the project is just left in the bag they bring each day for a week or so until they check and fill it up for the next week:/
TwinKristi 10:35 AM 05-05-2014
Probably make little handprints and print out a cute little poem. Our preschool did it for us when my kids were little. Makes me cry to this day! LOL
TwinKristi 10:36 AM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
I notice this too. The parents are excited on pick up but then I notice the project is just left in the bag they bring each day for a week or so until they check and fill it up for the next week:/
Yep! Same thing here
melilley 10:37 AM 05-05-2014
This year I just bought wooden picture frames with a heart cutout in the middle. I painted their hand print and am going to put it in the cutout and the kids painted the frames. We are going to make a card too.
CraftyMom 11:04 AM 05-05-2014
I'm going with silhouettes, I just love them! And probably a poem to go with it.

I also bought some scrapbooks when they were on sale that I'm giving them to hold all their child's artwork. In the past I've had parents who didn't appreciate the art, but my current group of parents treasures it. These are 12x12 scrapbooks, they can just slide the art in the sleeves and then they have a nice album to flip through and the art is safe. I have some for my kids, I put multiple art per sleeve. My kids love to flip through it and I love that it is protected but still viewable instead of in a box (my usual storage)

I got them 3/$10. This is a splurge since I like to keep things cheap
originalkat 11:05 AM 05-05-2014

We have a "Muffins for Moms" celebration in the morning before Mothers Day weekend. I usually just have the kids make a cute card. I think this year we will make this one along with a flower.
Sunchimes 12:32 PM 05-05-2014
My 3yo is doing a paper mache bowl. She picked it from my pinterest Mother's day board. The 1 and 2 yo scribbled on piece of #6 plastic. I'll shrink it and make it a keyring. I may do the love you to pieces card. If the keyrings don't work, I'll get a couple of big rocks and let them paint, then write "My mom rocks". The dads loved them last year.
2grls4us 01:04 PM 05-05-2014
I got some unfinished wodden frames from Michael's for $1 each. I have buttons, jewels and ribbon for them to glue on after we sponge paint them. I will print a photo to put in the frame. For the babies I chose a wide frame so we can do handprints. I have most of the supplies so cost will be minimal. I only have 4 dcks. I also planned to make a card of some sort for the kids to color and glue?
williams2008 01:08 PM 05-05-2014
Same here....
SignMeUp 01:25 PM 05-05-2014
I had a bunch of painted craft sticks that we have used to make patterns. The preschoolers love them. So I had them choose colors, make a pattern, and glue them onto a tin can. (Make sure it was opened with the opener that doesn't leave sharp edges.) They wrote things on some sticks. (I love you, from....., Happy Mother's Day)

Tomorrow they will put a paint handprint on it, Wednesday we will wrap, Thursday we will make cards with photos.
lovemykidstoo 07:10 AM 05-06-2014
I feel the same as others here. I always put such thought into the Christmas, Father's Day, Mother's Day crafts and send them home wrapped and almost never hear any feedback on them. Makes me wonder how much they really care or if they're disappointed in the craft. This year I'm just having them glue a paper flower pot on a paper with pipe cleaner stems and tissue paper flowers and then just saying I love you Mom or something like that. Simple.
drseuss 07:28 AM 05-06-2014
Any ideas for infants? I am thinking of making a card with the baby's handprint cut out and then bending the two middle fingers down to make the 'I Love You' sign. Is that enough from the babies?
momofsix 07:44 AM 05-06-2014
OH NO!!!!! I completely forgot about mother's day with the other stuff going on right now
Off to the store I go tonight so we can make something tomorrow and my sub can send it home Friday!
Thanks for the reminder- I guess this is a lesson to me NEVER STOP VISITING THIS FORUM REGULARLY
Crazy8 07:56 AM 05-06-2014
I need ideas too!!! I have same kids as last year so can't repeat the handprints on tile I did the last 2 years. LOL!!

Mine are all under 3 so the fill in the blank things don't work. I find footprint and handprint crafts are best but I have done the same ones over and over (paper, canvas, etc.). The tiles was at least a little different, but now I need another idea!

I have to say my parents are very appreciative and always rave about them. I generally only do crafts for holidays, so they are special to them.
sarah33 09:57 AM 05-06-2014
I found white 5x7 frames at Staples on clearance for $1 each!!! I bought 5, and then will have them draw a picture or do a handprint on construction paper. Simple, easy, and good presentation. Done!

I, too, wonder if the parents care or if it just because they have so much artwork from their kids it is just overwhelming. When my kids bring home more stuff, I'm oohing and aahing at the same time wondering where I am going to put it. I think the kids' christmas presents this year will be the Alex "My Art" accordion-style folder (on amazon) that will hold all of their stuff. I got it for my own kids, and it has been great!
CraftyMom 10:28 AM 05-06-2014
Here's another one I was considering. Easy to do just a handprint on cardstock with the poem (at least that's how I would do it. I think the pic is on a tile)
Attached: hand.jpg (41.1 KB) 
TigerLily 10:42 AM 05-06-2014
I spray painted flower pots with chalkboard paint, we did a couple of thumb print flowers and I'll have them decorate with chalk. On our way home from story time tomorrow we'll stop at the greenhouse and I'll get a flat of some kind of flower to plop in there - then use the rest in my flower beds!
melilley 10:51 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I need ideas too!!! I have same kids as last year so can't repeat the handprints on tile I did the last 2 years. LOL!!

Mine are all under 3 so the fill in the blank things don't work. I find footprint and handprint crafts are best but I have done the same ones over and over (paper, canvas, etc.). The tiles was at least a little different, but now I need another idea!

I have to say my parents are very appreciative and always rave about them. I generally only do crafts for holidays, so they are special to them.
You could buy little flower pots or buckets and have them paint them and put flowers in them. I did this last year and even had the kids help me plant the flowers and the kids had a blast..they were all 2.5 and under and still liked playing in the dirt to fill the buckets.
melilley 10:57 AM 05-06-2014
These are what we made. The kids loved making them!
Attached: 1399398956791.jpg (56.7 KB) 
melilley 11:01 AM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
These are what we made. The kids loved making them!
oops the pics are upside down
TwinKristi 06:08 PM 05-07-2014
Here's what we made today! I have one boy who's here Th-Fr so I will do his tomorrow.
Attached: image.jpg (13.7 KB) 
Sunshine74 09:38 PM 05-07-2014
We made mini-muffins with the kids, and stapled the "If You Give a Mom a Muffin" poem (I saw it here somewhere) to a bag with a few muffins in it.

For the card we are doing this, without the poem or picture. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/34480753371689761/

MsLaura529 03:57 AM 05-08-2014
The kids are making a sugar scrub (sugar, coconut oil, sea salt and vanilla) and they are decorating the lid of the jar (just coloring on a circle piece of paper). Then I found wooden magnetic frames in the dollar section at Target that the kids are going to paint, and I will put a picture in it (it is just big enough for a head/face picture).
starz0123 05:51 AM 05-08-2014
I used this template to make a basket of flowers (minus the may day leaf) with dck. They coloured and I assembled during nap time.
I used green pipe cleaners for the stems and popped a couple of mini chocs in there.
It was a joint activity to coincide with World Colouring in day this week.

ETA: I have a 4month old and just decorated the template with finger prints in different colour paint.
mountainside13 07:32 AM 05-08-2014
I am really considering not doing special projects anymore. It is a waste of money, time, energy and stress!
TaylorTots 08:35 AM 05-08-2014
The preschoolers are done, just need to wrap their finished projects. Their homemade necklaces from yarn, a washer that I spray painted and that they then decorated with super-permanant paint.

We have some more expected gift items to give like handprint poems and All About Mom sheets, but I think the necklaces will be a hit because it's pretty original and easy to keep/store.
Kimskiddos 09:04 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:

We have a "Muffins for Moms" celebration in the morning before Mothers Day weekend. I usually just have the kids make a cute card. I think this year we will make this one along with a flower.
I love this! After 26 years I feel like I have done them all.
TaylorTots 09:55 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
The preschoolers are done, just need to wrap their finished projects. Their homemade necklaces from yarn, a washer that I spray painted and that they then decorated with super-permanant paint.

We have some more expected gift items to give like handprint poems and All About Mom sheets, but I think the necklaces will be a hit because it's pretty original and easy to keep/store.
they look like these but more preschool-er artsy lol

ihop 09:56 AM 05-08-2014
I put it off too long so I managed to find a few dollar store frames and come up with enough paint for the kids to paint them. Then they painted a piece of paper and when it dried we put a hand print on it and glued some buttons on the frame and wrote I love mom with puffy paint.

For the babies, I glued buttons over the whole frame and out hand prints inside.

They don't look great but at this point, who cares?

No one ever seems to care. And it would be nice for them to remember that their children are two. Its not my job to send home elaborate crafts that they took basically no part in just so they get something nice.
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:10 AM 05-08-2014
I feel this way, too, but throw something together anyway. They do pay me, after all, so I guess I can go through the motions at least. I refuse to spend much money or invest much time, though.

We made cupcake-in-a-mugs. Picked up some cute "My Mom's the Best" mugs at Dollar Tree and used a 88 cent brownie mix. Printed off a simple but cute tag with directions, and called it done.
SignMeUp 11:05 AM 05-08-2014
One year for Father's Day we made life sized tagboard neckties. I saw the craft in the S&S catalog and just copied the idea, which I do a fair amount of.
The kids colored them and some of them were SOO cute. Several dads came in the next week "wearing" them. I must have put elastic on them or something because they were definitely wearable
TheGoodLife 11:49 AM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by originalkat:

I did that card, then made this picture frame from heavy paper/cardboard plates. The kids painted, then I outlined and cut the frame. I'll put a pic of the child holding their hand up in the "I Love You" sign!
Attached: IMG_8034.jpg (73.8 KB) 
melilley 12:08 PM 05-08-2014
We also made a card. It has 2 hand prints, one red one yellow, and they look like tulips. I also had them put fingerprints for the stem and leaves and wrote Happy Mother's Day.
melilley 12:09 PM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
We made mini-muffins with the kids, and stapled the "If You Give a Mom a Muffin" poem (I saw it here somewhere) to a bag with a few muffins in it.

For the card we are doing this, without the poem or picture. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/34480753371689761/
Super cute!
TaylorTots 12:13 PM 05-08-2014
Everything wrapped, had to do the "love you to pieces" card. It just made it so cute!

I know what I'm getting for mother's day now from my DD and DS lol... I asked for breakfast in bed and DS (6) said "sure mom, I'll make you a poptart!"
lynne 06:54 AM 05-09-2014
We're doing fairy gardens, I picked up miss matched coffee mugs and saucers, glued them together and planted a rosemary plant in each one. The kids get to make little paths,swings and benches with small pebbles glass rounds, I just super glue them together and the kids put them where they want. Oh and we use moss from outside too. Very cute!
Josiegirl 09:44 AM 05-09-2014
Lynne, those sound adorable, can you post pics.?
lynne 09:55 AM 05-09-2014
Photo on 2014-05-09 at 10.50.jpg I also made little toadstools with filmo clay..They really turned out cute! Cost was about .50 to 1.00 each...
Attached:
Christina72684 12:13 PM 05-09-2014
I'm such a procrastinator, but luckily we had already planted sunflowers and grass 2 weeks ago so I just made something up to work with it
Attached: IMG_8856.jpg (43.1 KB) IMG_8857.jpg (38.4 KB) IMG_8858.jpg (43.3 KB) IMG_8859.jpg (43.3 KB) 
SilverSabre25 03:20 PM 05-09-2014
I made this one with everyone today. They turned out super cute!
Attached: 20140509_170757.jpg (61.6 KB) 
CraftyMom 04:22 PM 05-09-2014
I love everyone's mother's day gifts!

Here are ours:

Framed silhouettes and cards with handprints and a poem inside
Attached: IMG_7227.jpg (129.1 KB) IMG_7231.jpg (130.0 KB) IMG_7232.jpg (82.8 KB) 
Josiegirl 04:29 PM 05-09-2014
So so cute!! I love all the projects!
KiddieCahoots 04:54 PM 05-09-2014
I love doing crafts with the kids. It is nice to be appreciated by the parents though....totally understand.
I used to run my own craft booth at Cape Cod Crafters, so I've got boxes and boxes of stuff, and we're always up to something with it.
Totally love making up poems to go with the craft too.
This year we made the butterfly feet and made cookies to bring home to mom.
Our poem.......
Butterfly flying by
So happy and carefree
With Happy Mother's Day wishes
To my mommy from me...
Colors so brilliant
That shimmer and shine
With endless love
For mommy of mine...
Butterfly kisses
With tons of hugs in tow
I love you so much mommy
From the top of my head
to my butterfly toes!
lovemykidstoo 09:16 AM 05-03-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
You could buy little flower pots or buckets and have them paint them and put flowers in them. I did this last year and even had the kids help me plant the flowers and the kids had a blast..they were all 2.5 and under and still liked playing in the dirt to fill the buckets.
I think I'm going to do this. What kind of paint do you use and do you seal it with any kind of spray?
Crazy8 12:07 PM 05-03-2015
I am doing the grass hair thing someone else posted above - just hoping the grass grows by next weekend, I was late in planting them!
bklsmum 01:32 PM 05-03-2015
I think I am going to do the strawberry with the older kids and the hand print for the littles.
Sunchimes 01:48 PM 05-03-2015
I decided on baskets of things. I started a couple of weeks ago and instead of sending our crafts home, I upped the usual projects a little and the kids are putting them in a basket. They will just be a hodge podge of stuff the kids made. We painted these foam flowers I found for 25¢ after Easter, a macaroni necklace, the 2 handprints that pull apart and say "I love you this much". We are going to do 2 or 3 other things this week to add to the basket. I did the pictures of the child blowing a kiss in front of a spray of hearts that's all over pinterest. That picture will be on their card. That was an experience, sort of like herding cats!! I got some of the out takes printed and will include them inside the card. They are funnier than the posed ones. I want to do one more thing, something a little more special, but I haven't figured out what to do yet. I'm thinking plaster of paris in a frame with their footprints. Then I'll use spray glue and sprinkle sand over it, then varnish to hold it all together. Not sure I have enough plaster and don't want to go to WM again. I'll figure something out.
I don't usually do this much, but I have great parents this year, and I want to do it.
mom2many 06:16 AM 05-04-2015
We are doing these handprints potholders. I got them for $3 each at Home Goods.
Attached: image.jpg (38.0 KB) 
bklsmum 06:24 AM 05-04-2015
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I LOVE these!
mom2many 06:39 AM 05-04-2015
This was last years Mother's Day gift.
Attached: image.jpg (81.8 KB) 
bklsmum 07:30 AM 05-04-2015
This was last years Mother's Day gift.
So cute!
Baby Beluga 08:49 AM 05-04-2015
Those are super cute!

We made picture frames. I picked up wooden picture frames with a heart cut out at Micheal's - the kids painted them and I sealed them with a modge podge sealer.
EntropyControlSpecialist 10:47 AM 04-11-2016
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
they look like these but more preschool-er artsy lol

So doing this!
Unregistered 01:41 AM 04-14-2016
We usually make rhubarb jam. Kids cut up stalks into chunks, pour in strawberry jello, all kids help stir. I cook it and put it into baby food jars. They make a card.

And/or I do the simple get six-pack of flowers, kids fill a pot with dirt, choose a flower type (I usually have pansys and different colors of petunias), and then plant them.

I love the chalk paint idea on flower pots!

I don't really worry if parents seem thankful. The kids get so much out of these activities, it's fairly cheap and easy, and they are thrilled to have something to give!
Tags:holiday - crafts, mother day craft, mother's day
Reply Up