Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Non Payment WWYD Question...
Holiday Park 07:32 PM 12-28-2012
#1 time of late payment , I reminded her only to find out he was not coming that werk. When I said she still needed to pay , she said last time she didnt have to pay and didnt remember that being our agreement. I told her last time was because (as I told them at our interview) her mom had already told me MONtHS in advance of that particular week there would be no charge. Without advance notice (Im talking a month or more) she still had to pay whether he came or not. Ahe wasnt happy about gaving to pay but sid anyway. I had actually already pro rated it because I was taking off two days that werk so her amount was 1/2 off.

The week before Last week she said dcb "might " not be here this week, and then no communication or talk of payment on Friday . But her BF was picking up on Friday. So when he texted that he was on his way, I said to make sure he got payment from her and told him the pro-rated amount because I was closed mon&tue . He picked up dcb and paid .
I hear nthing from mom all week long, no mention of whether or not he was coming so I just acted as if he wasn't and he ever showed up at all . I accidentally called her today :0 oops. She texted me saying she couldnt talk br aude she was working and then i told her sorry the call was an accident. She has forgotten to give me her schedule and/or payment at least twice already and I was already finished having to remind her. At this point I decided I would just terminate care if. Didnt hear from her by monday. Because I made new contracts and a new parent handbook that she was already given two werks to look over before it became final on jan 1st. She was told in an email ( that she never replied to ) that she had until the 31st to get together with me to sign the new contract if she agreed to the new policies OR I would assume she was not continuing care with me.
I am thinking she has not hecked her email or seen it yet. She has seen my other emails I have aent ib the past. She even told me she was looking frward to getting the hand book so we would be on the same page .

So anyway back to today.... After I text her back saying the call was an accident she texts me again saying her mom is on holiday again this week so he will not come this week either. No mention about payment or the contract and handbook. Payment is due by 5:30pm on Friday and she knows this. She has been late once before and called sat night (a month ago) to make arrangements with me about paying for the next week. Oh and she was late by 30minutes on Dec 12th , AFTER I haf a serious talk about her mom being late and telling her point blank that is being disrespectful to me. She agreed that was distespectful and made sure her bf picked up if her mom was unable to be on time. So when she was late this time she apoligises over&over and said she would add an extra 20.to the payment the next day(it was thursday) . Friday comes and she forgets to keep her word. I was more mad about the fact she forgot her promise and was even late in the feat place too, than any extra $ I was supposed to get.
So shes not planning to bring him all next week , and made no mention of payment or getting the handbook/contract signed before the deadline .
If you think I should give her 1more chance , I need to say SOMETHING . I have the feeling she will act blindsighted by it all but at the same time she should know better right ?? I did send the new handbook out two weeks ago so if she didnt read it its bot ny problem. However , the rules aren't official until tuesday. So my guess is she is trying to play dumb and take advantage of me while ahe can before this handbook is "official" . Regardless though, she IS still supposed to come get the comtract to have it signed.
Should I just show up at her work tonorrow and have her decide to sign it right there ? She is in a position where if done discreetly she will have no problem being able to right there. What do I say? Or do you all think I should just email /text her a nice letter telling her We aren't a good fit anymore due to communication&s heduling conflicts? I think she will cry if I terminate. Although part of me doesnt like making people cry, I cant just keep her child enrolled and let her not pay or pay late like this. I have a linit of only two kids on a regular daily&werkly basis to stay legally exempt. So keeping a spot open requires me to require them to keep paying wherher they come or not since space is so limited.
I give more one on one attention and keep them on a great schedule& routine. I have a lot to offer . I already have someone who is ok with my hadbook and will start FT (paying a higher rate) in two weeks and paying a deposit for the last week of care. I feel so guilty when I think that I can just terminate her and keep the new one instead , all because of "business" I was actually thinking of terming my part timer who only comes 2 days a week. But then started thinking how nice it would be to have no infants and all toddlers the same age who can grow up together while imagining myself doing circle time ad teaching them things , and going places and doing fun big kid things (when they are a bit older) because if her boy (9months) wasn't here, I'd have my 15 month old, a 15 month who comes 2days, and the new boy(16months) .
Termination seems like a good idea . I think maybe if I have reminded her more often or spoke up this afternoon . But then what good would have done. She was working and she could have sent her mom to pay me , since her mom had off all week. She xould have done a post dated ceck or payal or credit card. I told her and her mom I take other forms of payment so there wouldnt be any way she would be late paying. So she should know better right? Or some people just stay clueless ? Do I give her 1more chance ? What do I say if I give her another chance? She should have submitted her payment and made arrangements to get together about the contract signing by today &monday(for contract) . I needed to know an exact drop off time before printing it out, too . When I asked her last werk if 8am was working for her, she said yes but that she missed him a lot be ause of her having to work so much (referring to days she didnt need to come in that early) but ahe likes having him here the same times because it gave him comsistency (which is how I feel too) .
cheerfuldom 08:08 PM 12-28-2012
wow boy....your post was a bit rambling and confusing to me. You just have to make a decision.

your choices are:

1. do nothing and continue to get the run around with this mom. That sounds like a very bad idea especially since you dont have to do that at all. You can easily replace her. You dont have to put up with this. You are running a business and as we say around here on this forum, you need to get a backbone girl! you need to make a decision based on what is right for you and your own child and your business. This mom may cry but she will find another sitter and the world will go on, I promise. If she really valued your services, she would have treated you better. This is not your fault!

2. Give her one final warning/chance. Do not show up at her workplace. You do not need to be chasing people down. She is an adult and you dont need to be running after her and begging her to stay with your daycare. Write up a short and simple letter and email it to her. and then follow that up with a text "Susan, please check your email. I sent daycare information that needs to be seen and responded to immediately before care can be continued"

Letter.....
"Dear Susan, attached is a copy of my new contract. I need you to review this and return to me, signed, by X date in order to continue care. If I do not receive this contract, I will no longer be able to provide care for Aiden and care will be terminated immediately ."

3. forget the chances and just term. I would do an immediate termination and not even allow for a two weeks period. I have found that when I terminate care under a situation like this, allowing for additional time just causes a HUGE amount of stress on me. The parents are already mad and have no motivation left to follow rules or cooperate with anything. They will throw tantrums and all sorts of ugliness on the way out. Make sure they are paid up and have all their kids belongings so there is no reason to communicate or see you anymore.
kitykids3 10:34 PM 12-28-2012
Personally, I would just terminate. You are letting her walk all over you and quite frankly I think it will just continue. Perhaps give her one chance. Send her an email with a copy of the handbook and tell her that if it is not signed and received by the 1st at ______ time, then care will no longer be offered.
providerandmomof4 11:05 PM 12-28-2012
Sometimes it seems like people want daycare in case...they actually need it. I'm not bringing them this week? It's like, do you need daycare, or not??? I have a family like this too... they'll take weeks off at a time. I almost feel guilty. Almost...then I remember that I'm running a business and they are taking up a full time spot whether they bring their child or not.
Holiday Park 11:35 PM 12-28-2012
I think I would feel better just terminating. He has a can of formula , diapers,a jacket&bibs here. I would like to tell her that I will have her son's things in a bag on my front porch/front door. Would it be better or worse to give a reason , in this situation ?
Sorry the post was long&rambled. I'm not as good as typing up something thats better written , when I haven't had a chance to collect my thoughts and when there are too many distractions . We had just gotten home from eating out and my kids were not in bed yet lol.
Seriously I feel *almost* guilty having to ask for payment when he doesn't come. But I shouldn't have to ask for it. She has the same phone as me so I know she could set reminders for herself, if needed. If gramma is off every day this past week and next week she could ask her to drop off payment. She could sens it online from her phone (I know because paypal does make an APP and so does bank of america ) .
Its not like she hasn't been told . I was pretty blunt/to the point last time. Maybe some people just dont get it until it's too late.
Holiday Park 06:30 AM 12-29-2012
Ok so I double checked my emails history and text messages (thanks to being organized ) to make sure she actually did get my emails about the contract and handbook on Dec 16th.

In the very last part of it, It said:

"
I will have the written agreements ready before/by December 30TH,since Jan 1ST I am closed. It will need to be signed,to verify you are in agreement and plan to continue care with me. If you have any questions/concerns please let me know ! "

And two hours later she texted confirmation of recieving the email and also submitted her schedule too(2days late on that) because I guess my emails on the handbook&contract info also happened to serve as a reminder for her to submit her schedule for the next week. Just like my accidental call yesterday must have reminded her to submit her schedule for this upcoming week. But nevermind payment or making arrangements to sign the new contract.
Just figuring out how to word the term email now. And then it will be time to send it and take her email off the baby connect app. Shes been bringing him for 6 months. I dont want to deal with this for another 6-12 months.
rbmom 06:52 AM 12-29-2012
I would term also. I doubt the situation would get better even with another chance. Good luck!
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 12-29-2012
Whew~ I see a few issues with this situation.
You are letting this mom walk all over you and aren't doing anything about it. You are allowing her to squeeze by here and there and for whatever reason not have to follow your policies because you feel bad.

I understand that, but is she feeling bad because you have to ask for your paycheck? Is she feeling badly because you are waiting on her? Waiting for payment, waiting for schedule? waiting for communication? waiting for her to get her ducks in a row. Woman, take charge and stop letter her drive the boat!

You need a couple things:

A FIRM non-negotiable pay schedule. I have ALL payments due on or before Friday of each week by 5 PM. NO EXCEPTIONS, NO EXCUSES. Late fees are automatically added on and I will NOT negotiate them or remove them.

A deadline for ALL schedules; My scheduling rules say ALL schedules are due WITH payment prior to services. If a family turns their schedule in late, (even 10 minutes past 5PM) they are charge the drop in fee for that week AND may not have space available to them. NOT my problem is families cannot let me know in a timely manner when they need me.

A hefty late fee $10 for 1st late pymt, $20 for 2nd late pymt and $30 AND termination for the 3rd late fee.

some serious follow through: You are a business women. Stop letting this mom's scatterbrain and unorganization be your issue. If you send out newsletters, emails or any kind of correspondence or communication it is HER responsibility to read it and follow through on it. If you set a deadline and she missed it, then that is not your problem. She can't come back and say she didn't read it or whatever. NOT your problem.

Stand your ground and follow through on your own policies because if you don't, why should she?

FWIW ~ at this point I would probably term and let her know that you are just not the right fit for her and that she needs to find care that is a little more relaxed about schedules and payments....you know, like a babysitter or a grandma....not someone who is trying to make a living or pay the bills....which is impossible when you have a client who is all over the place with schedules, payments and communication.

Hang in there....
Holiday Park 08:55 AM 12-29-2012
I already had these policies in place verbally (minus late fees) . The Hand book just doesn't come official until Tuesday. *And* she missed the deadline for signing the contract (which I haven't been able t give due to her non communication and long absence) .

So trying to decide if I should #1 : Give immediate termination since she has all this week to find some one else.

Or #2 Do two week notice but require payment for both weeks upfront , if she wants another week to look for care elsewhere. I think it makes no difference if he's not staying regardless. Well a tually I would have 200 more in my pocket if I let her have two more weeks because I would have to require payment upfront for those last two weeks (this next week and the following week after).
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 12-29-2012
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
I already had these policies in place verbally (minus late fees) . The Hand book just doesn't come official until Tuesday. *And* she missed the deadline for signing the contract (which I haven't been able t give due to her non communication and long absence) .

So trying to decide if I should #1 : Give immediate termination since she has all this week to find some one else.

Or #2 Do two week notice but require payment for both weeks upfront , if she wants another week to look for care elsewhere. I think it makes no difference if he's not staying regardless. Well a tually I would have 200 more in my pocket if I let her have two more weeks because I would have to require payment upfront for those last two weeks (this next week and the following week after).
Do you want her to stay? Do you have someone else lined up to fill the spot?
Holiday Park 08:59 AM 12-29-2012
Do you think I should be bold enough as to offer one more week with the stipulation of having payments for both weeks upfront asap ? I could also offer to have her as a "Drop in" client instead which will be less strings attached, other than havig to reserve&pay for days in advance, and after explaining there is no guarentee with a drop in .
Edited to add : everything about srop in care is also in the parent handbook ;-) and ....
Lol black cat we were posting at the same time.
Yes I already have someone else starting jan 7th. I let that dcm enroll just in case this dcm or my other existing client gave me any trouble, while waiting for the new contracts signings and start of the new year. Even f it meant I would be over in my numbers by 3, instead of 2. Because I am also planning to be ready to term my 2day a week client the second she gives me any trouble about payment. She is the one who I posted about who told me she wouldn't pay on friday(but on momday instead) if her dd was ever sick. I will be getting her signed contract the very last minute, this monday. so I also have been advertising on craigslist still, just in case anything ends bad with her too like if she decides she soesn't agree to the new terms. she has had two weeks ntice also, and yesterday her&DCD told me they still had to read over the handbook. If I have a drop in person, I dont really count them as part of my total number of kids "enrolled" . Since implimenting this handbook, my existing drop in client actually dropped off the face of the earth lol so i have room to replace her too. Guess its turning into a "cleaning house" thing /change over .
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 12-29-2012
Do you think I should be bold enough as to offer one more week with the stipulation of having payments for both weeks upfront asap ? I could also offer to have her as a "Drop in" client instead which will be less strings attached, other than havig to reserve&pay for days in advance, and after explaining there is no guarentee with a drop in .
If your contract say two week's notice I would offer it to her. She is obviously a scatterbrained parent and not a bad one...kwim?

If you feel that you can use your backbone and stand up and enforce your policies without fail, I would even go so far as to offer her the drop in status like you said, but it does require being really firm for it to work.

If you are just plain old tired of the hassle, let her go for not replying and filling out new contract like you said. You already gave a deadline and she didn't do it so according to your own e-mail, that means she isn't staying. If she didn't read it, that isn't your problem.

I usually work with parents and find ways to give them the "out" if that is what they want to do. I had a similar situation this summer. Mom didn't want to commit to a set # of days per week so I put her on drop in status. She was mad but not half as mad as she was when she figured out that drop in doesn''t doesn't get priority over others when scheduling so there were days not available to her that she wanted.

She came back and said "Well, can I just sign the agreement you wanted me to sign earlier?" and I said no, that offer has passed. She was mad so she left. I didn't term her but was tired of her wishy-washing-ness so I let her figure it out the hard way.

You are the only one who knows whether you should keep her or not. Will she follow through if you stand firm? Will she get mad and leave? Will she always be an issue and try to play dumb so she can getout of policies? Will you be able to stand your ground?

When you answer those, you will know what to do. It isn't always easy but it is always up to you. Do you want to do the work to keep her on track or just be done. kwim?
Holiday Park 09:13 AM 12-29-2012
Added more to my last comment above .
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 12-29-2012
Added more to my last comment above .
With the new info, I say offer her drop in status and leave it at that. If she wants it, let her have it but follow your rules and don't give her any space to wiggle about payments or schedules.

Enroll the new family and go with it since they are coming in with the new contract and handbook so they should be good about following if they know the new rules ahead of time.

Sometimes it is just better to let a family figure it out the hard way. This mom will probably be fantastic for her next provider.

Offer her drop in but on your terms and go with new family!

New year, new oppprotunities and goodby to the old stresses!
Holiday Park 09:19 AM 12-29-2012
Thanks blackcat! As you can see we were posting at the same time again .
Well, I've decided to write her an email with just giving her the options to keep this week&next week and pay for both asap, AND /OR let her choose to demote (lol I wont use the word demote) herself to drop in only , or be completely done with me starting now with no requirement to pay anything at all.
Holiday Park 09:27 AM 12-29-2012
Yeah, I wasn't planning to let her continue to stay long term. I will let her choose between 1: have two weeks notice (so he comes the week after next) but with the requirement she pay for both nex week ad the week after that he'll be coming and can switch over to drop in care after that . If she says she wants to keep the spot I will have to say so sorry but per our verbal agreement/my existing terms, (no pay, no more service) I had already filled the spot.

Or she can also choose to not pay for this week that was owed on Friday ad she can start right now as a drop in only .
OR I can have her sons stuff in a bag on my front porch today/tomorrow and that be it. Her choice on all of the above .
Reply Up