Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking Ahead
sally 01:06 PM 06-03-2014
My first family I started watching has always been my pita family for several reasons. The older child is school aged and not this school year but the next school year their youngest will starting preschool. They are fluctuating hours Monday thru Friday and various hours that I never can count on. My other families are Tuesday thru Friday 830-5 and I like knowing what my hours are. So after this summer and school year I will be letting them go. I'm changing my hours to Tuesday thru Friday 830-5 and will have Mondays off. I like the idea of having Mondays to do fun things with my own kids. When do I let that family know that I will not be watching them next summer. Also what is the best thing to tell them. They will still need daycare before school and on no school days but I just want to be done with them. Do I tell them they've outgrown my daycare or that im changing my hours and they will no longer be a good fit. Sorry for rambling. Tia
Chellieleanne 01:12 PM 06-03-2014
I would let them know you are changing your hours and want to have contracted drop off and pick up times effective when ever you choose but at least a few weeks from now. If they are not willing to work with you let them know that you may no longer be a good fit for their family.
cheerfuldom 03:07 PM 06-03-2014
do not tell them anything before two weeks to your last date of care. Its still a loooooong time till next summer. But if you are ready to change hours, what is holding you back from just doing it now? Be prepared for them to try to work within your new business hours.....are you willing to work with them if they want to do that? If not, just let them know that your hours are changing and that you are scaling back the number of kids and can no longer accommodate the family. Its really not that big of a deal. They may be upset or rude but seriously, its not a big deal. If you work in daycare, you have to get good at not caring when parents throw tantrums. Just do what you need to do and be done with them. They WILL find someone else and life goes on.
TwinKristi 03:19 PM 06-03-2014
Yeah I'm curious why you would wait almost 16 months as well? So much could happen between now and then. Why not just tell them now and be done with it for this summer? Is it the income? Maybe advertise for a T-F opening and let them go as soon as you have it filled?
sally 03:24 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Yeah I'm curious why you would wait almost 16 months as well? So much could happen between now and then. Why not just tell them now and be done with it for this summer? Is it the income? Maybe advertise for a T-F opening and let them go as soon as you have it filled?
I am counting on their income right now. I also can't change my hours just yet. I am waiting for my husband's hours to change and with their youngest starting school the next school year they won't be worth my time to have them. Right now its still a viable income.
Reply Up