Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Natural, Holistic and RAW Lifestyle>Unprocessed Foods And Raw Milk
jen2651 09:21 AM 06-03-2011
I had a family contact me yesterday that would like to come to my house. One of the questions they asked me is if they could bring in their own raw milk to drink. It is from their farm and I of course wouldn't serve it to any other children. I am wondering if this would not be approved by the food program? I certainly can't loose my food $...

Also, we eat pretty naturally here, but they would be wanting me to work toward no processed foods here. I need to ask them some more questions as even though we don't eat chicken nuggets or pizza, would beans from a can considered processed? And for those of you who do eat rather naturally, would you be willing to send me your menus? I am sorry, I just am stuck in a rut and would love to have some more options! We are really flexible in what it is, just looking for some new ideas!

Thanks much~
daycare 09:24 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
I had a family contact me yesterday that would like to come to my house. One of the questions they asked me is if they could bring in their own raw milk to drink. It is from their farm and I of course wouldn't serve it to any other children. I am wondering if this would not be approved by the food program? I certainly can't loose my food $...

Also, we eat pretty naturally here, but they would be wanting me to work toward no processed foods here. I need to ask them some more questions as even though we don't eat chicken nuggets or pizza, would beans from a can considered processed? And for those of you who do eat rather naturally, would you be willing to send me your menus? I am sorry, I just am stuck in a rut and would love to have some more options! We are really flexible in what it is, just looking for some new ideas!

Thanks much~
anything out of a box, or a bag is processed....even most can food is as well. I eat a palieo diet and this means I cant eat anyting that is processed or manufactured food. It is very expenisve to eat this way and hard to make all the changes.

I would just have this child not participate in the food program.

Here in CA we can't have parents bring food and then still claim the childs meals. So if the childs family brings milk, you can't claim it.
Symphony 10:08 AM 06-03-2011
My food program is different. The kids can bring whatever they want from home and I can still claim them so long as the family knows there is food being provided here as well. I would call and ask your food program contacts what the rules are to your area.
nannyde 11:07 AM 06-03-2011

Thanks much~
Oh if you don't want them I'll take them. These guys are my dream family.

I would allow them to bring the milk from home and I would ask them if they can bring some for me and my kid.

I do all organic meals and it's been a wonderful experience. Here's part of my journey: http://www.nanshouse.com/organicgoodeats.htm
Unregistered 11:09 AM 06-03-2011
If the raw milk is allowed I would do that. But I would NEVER let a family come and tell me what to serve for meals. If YOU are wanting to go that route, great, if not I would tell them what your menu is and they can take it or leave it.
LittleD 11:52 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
anything out of a box, or a bag is processed....even most can food is as well. I eat a palieo diet and this means I cant eat anyting that is processed or manufactured food. It is very expenisve to eat this way and hard to make all the changes.

I would just have this child not participate in the food program.

Here in CA we can't have parents bring food and then still claim the childs meals. So if the childs family brings milk, you can't claim it.
Have them look over your menus, and they can substitute anything they want with something from home.
jen2651 11:56 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If the raw milk is allowed I would do that. But I would NEVER let a family come and tell me what to serve for meals. If YOU are wanting to go that route, great, if not I would tell them what your menu is and they can take it or leave it.
I am afraid I may have misrepresented the family. We do eat extremely healthy here, they just asked if I used processed foods. As I sad the majority of our stuff is not, at least in my mind. We did discuss that I use pasta out of the box (whole wheat), but the more I was thinking, are beans from the can processed? I know it is better/cheaper to switch to raw beans, I am just lazy. I think this family would be the kick in the behind that I needed. We have a garden and I freeze so my supply last us basically the whole year...I do have to purchase things about this time of the year, but they own a stand at a farmers market so I have a good hook up there!

So, yes, they asked us about our eating habits...no, they didn't demand we change. I volunteered to supply a menu (do anyways) so if there are things they are uncomfortable with they are welcome to bring in a lunch.

Funny thing is, she said that basically every other provider in town laughed when she asked if they ate chicken nuggets...they all said once a week. So, I know we aren't perfect, but we certainly are more holistic than some in the eating aspect of things.

So, any more thoughts on menu items? I did put in an email to my foods lady...I haven't heard back yet!
jen2651 11:58 AM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I would allow them to bring the milk from home and I would ask them if they can bring some for me and my kid.

I do all organic meals and it's been a wonderful experience. Here's part of my journey: http://www.nanshouse.com/organicgoodeats.htm
Nanny - my husband is working down in SW Iowa...maybe I will just bring the kiddos and drop them off on my way through when I visit!
nannyde 12:14 PM 06-03-2011
Nanny - my husband is working down in SW Iowa...maybe I will just bring the kiddos and drop them off on my way through when I visit!
Just as long as he also drops off a cooler of MOOSE meat I KNOW you have in your freezer
nannyde 12:23 PM 06-03-2011
Funny thing is, she said that basically every other provider in town laughed when she asked if they ate chicken nuggets...they all said once a week.
Sadly yes.

Nuggets will soon appear as it's own food group on the food pyramid.

Oh and I do all beans from scratch. It's not hard at all. Just soak them overnight and then pop them in the crock pot. I don't do any beans from a can anymore. Dried beans are cheap and my kids LOVE them.

I made a wonderful stew this week

2.5 pound venison roast (from Custer State Park)
Four slices of outdoor raised piggy bacon
one pound of dried green peas
one and a half pound of carrots
three tablespoons hidden valley ranch dry dressing
one half enveolpe of Crockery Gourmet Barbeque Seasoning
2 cloves garlic
two cups of black rice
one cup pureed asparagus from freezer

I had to cook the rice separately and throw it in after the rest was done but it only took me about fifteen minutes to put this all into the crock pot. Cooked all day long and was wonderful for supper. Lots of leftovers.
jen2651 03:37 PM 06-03-2011
Just as long as he also drops off a cooler of MOOSE meat I KNOW you have in your freezer
ummm, no moose here...

we did shoot a possum last fall...I think it is still out in the back 40 in our burn pile!

har har, i swear i am not as redneck as that just made me sound...well, kind of!
nannyde 03:57 PM 06-03-2011
ummm, no moose here...

we did shoot a possum last fall...I think it is still out in the back 40 in our burn pile!

har har, i swear i am not as redneck as that just made me sound...well, kind of!
I can get my own possum

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/natu...its-finest.htm
nannyde 04:21 PM 06-03-2011
Oh I thought of something for you.

If you think you can dig these parents then ask the Mommy for some recipes and some menu ideas.

Foodie parents love to do food with their child care provider. I share a lot of food with my parents and we all share recipes back and forth. We LOVE talking about food.

We share plants.. share gardening ideas.. share stories about successes and failures with what the kid will eat and new things we try. We share SOURCES of good food. We share ideas on how to save money.

When you get into the food movement you will find that everyone is on their own path and you can learn so much from them no matter where they are in their journey.

The food journey is complex and requires some time and a lot of decisions along the way. There is a lot of cheatery going on in the food biz too. I would love to have a contact like them to help me muddle thru it.

When you start making changes you realize that you want to access the foods one by one. It's not like going to the grocery store and being able to just shop for grass fed, free range, ethical, chemical free food. It's not that easy... especially if you are on a budget. If you can work with them to find some of the foods you want for your family and business then you can meet their needs and meet your own needs.

You may want to barter some of their goods for your services???

It takes a village to do the food deal.. a big village

Being a gardner and a home made from scratch cooker puts you WAY ahead in the game..
sahm2three 05:00 PM 06-03-2011

I agree!!! I only feed my kids raw milk (or almond or coconut milk) and we don't do processed either and eat as much organic as we can get our hands on. We only do grassfed beef as well. Raw milk wouldn't be allowed on the food program, but if they are bringing the food and milk, I would go for it!
jen2651 05:09 PM 06-03-2011
ok, so the meat isn't a problem...have the cows in our pasture and freezer, pigs in their pen and chicken from my chicken lady.

But, what is considered processed other foods...again, the beans in a can? What about frozen peas or mixed veges (not my first choice but they happen), cream of mushroom soup, yogurt (pretty sure that is a yes)...
Country Kids 05:17 PM 06-03-2011
I would think pretty much ANYTHING you buy in a grocery store is processed in some way, shape or form UNLESS you buy it in its original form. So the only thing I would think that wouldn't be considered processed would be produce-fruit and veggies. But then you have the whole is it organic or not. Produce is the only thing though that I can really think of that would be considered not processed. Everything else comes packaged either in plastic or cardboard.
nannyde 05:23 PM 06-03-2011
ok, so the meat isn't a problem...have the cows in our pasture and freezer, pigs in their pen and chicken from my chicken lady.

But, what is considered processed other foods...again, the beans in a can? What about frozen peas or mixed veges (not my first choice but they happen), cream of mushroom soup, yogurt (pretty sure that is a yes)...
Oh I bet they are understanding that you will use some store bought food. With everything you have going they should be THRILLED. It's darn near impossible to be a hundred percent with everything but we try to do as much as possible every day. I doubt if they go without some cream of mushroom soup... I wish I had a fresh rabbit to cook with some cream of mushroom soup about right now.
daycare 06:49 PM 06-03-2011
Oh I bet they are understanding that you will use some store bought food. With everything you have going they should be THRILLED. It's darn near impossible to be a hundred percent with everything but we try to do as much as possible every day. I doubt if they go without some cream of mushroom soup... I wish I had a fresh rabbit to cook with some cream of mushroom soup about right now.
Nanny you are making me cringe....I thought that was all a myth. People really eat moose and the other animals you spoke of? OMG
Im hard core vegan I cant imagine...

Your food sounds great, but i still couldnt eat it....lol
nannyde 07:11 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Nanny you are making me cringe....I thought that was all a myth. People really eat moose and the other animals you spoke of? OMG
Im hard core vegan I cant imagine...

Your food sounds great, but i still couldnt eat it....lol
Of course.

I wish I had a freezer full of moose, elk, caribou, and buffalo. We are meat eaters here
nannyde 05:24 AM 06-04-2011
There is a lot of cheatery going on in the food biz too. I would love to have a contact like them to help me muddle thru it.
http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/n...c-kosher-halal
Michael 03:45 PM 06-04-2011
FYI, I promote and donate to Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund : http://www.ftcldf.org/
PitterPatter 08:29 PM 06-04-2011
I try my best to stay in the outter perimiter of the grocery store for most of my shopping. They have all of the fresh stuff there! Once u start into an isle it's boxes and bags = processed. I do cheat I admit it but I TRY my best!
Tags:milk, organic food, raw foods
Reply Up