Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Natural, Holistic and RAW Lifestyle>Gluten, Nut and Egg Allergy
kcnjason 08:29 AM 08-24-2011
I have recently enrolled a girl with gluten, egg, and nut allergies. This is the first time having a child in my care with allergies. Her mom is very willing to help with the food/menus but even trying to make casseroles and seperating it so she can eat it is tough, as everything seems to have gluten in it. Is anybody familiar with gluten intollerance? I would like some ideas for recipes.
familyschoolcare 09:02 AM 08-24-2011
think rice instead of pasta

You can buy gluten free bread at health food stores such as whole foods
Small Town Provider 10:15 AM 08-24-2011
I had one child with a milk allergy and her Mom sent all her food when we were having anything with milk. I gave her my meal plan for the month and she would send something different instead. I told them straight out that I don't have time to make a bunch of different things. I just wanted to add that I probably wouldn't take anyone with a nut allergy, it scares me but if it was a gluten allergy I would just do the same as with the milk allergy, get the parents to send their food.
SilverSabre25 10:27 AM 08-24-2011
I am gluten intolerant so, very familiar!

You are right; gluten is in A LOT of places and can be hard to avoid. Luckily, there has been a huge increase--and I mean astronomical--in awareness of gluten issues just in the past five years. Akso, in availability of gluten-free and allergen-free products. Many products are now available in the regular grocery store--some in the regular aisles and many more in the natural foods section of the store. The quality of GF products such as bread and pasta has improved dramatically as well, to the point where you often can't tell the difference!

Sometimes, it's not about what recipes you can make, it's about what substitutions you need to make to make the recipes you are used to making. For baked-from-scratch items, you can use a GF mix or a GF all-purpose flour blend (Bob's Red Mill makes one that's decent).

Pasta: DeBole's makes the best GF pasta--watch cooking times really carefully for GF pastas
Mac n Cheese: DeBole's and Annie's both make a GF mac n cheese
Crackers: Glutino are the best--they have good GF pretzels too.
Cookies: any of the GF cookies are decent
Cereal: Chex, Fruity Pebbles, and now Rice Kripsies are all GF--in the organic/natural section, EnviroKidz cereals are all right and GF.
Bread: Udi's makes the best; Kinnickkinnick makes okay. GF bread needs to be toasted for best results, even when making a sandwich.
Cake: Betty Crocker makes good GF cake, cookie, and brownie mixes
pancakes/waffles/biscuits: Look for the GF Bisquik mix
Pizza: Can be made on slices of bread, or Udi's makes a good GF pizza crust
Soy Sauce: Tamari soy is a GF soy sauce.

If you want recipes that are naturally GF with no subs whatsoever, look for things that are rice or potato based. Subbing GF pasta in a casserole isn't that hard, really.
SilverSabre25 10:28 AM 08-24-2011
Flax meal can be used as an egg sub in baked goods; buy a package of flax meal in the store (natural foods section) for the instructions (but I think it's one TB of flaxmeal to 3 TB water).
kcnjason 01:04 PM 08-24-2011
Thanks so much for the extra information. I am not struggling with any of the allergies except for gluten free and where I find the most issues is when I am making a casserole and finding substitutes like you suggested. It will just take time,
SilverSabre25 01:06 PM 08-24-2011
If you ever have questions or need ideas, feel free to PM me. I am more than happy to help. Gluten issues are tough simply because gluten is so prevalent.
Michael 04:48 PM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I am gluten intolerant so, very familiar!

Pasta: DeBole's makes the best GF pasta--watch cooking times really carefully for GF pastas
Mac n Cheese: DeBole's and Annie's both make a GF mac n cheese
Crackers: Glutino are the best--they have good GF pretzels too.
Cookies: any of the GF cookies are decent
Cereal: Chex, Fruity Pebbles, and now Rice Kripsies are all GF--in the organic/natural section, EnviroKidz cereals are all right and GF.
Bread: Udi's makes the best; Kinnickkinnick makes okay. GF bread needs to be toasted for best results, even when making a sandwich.
Cake: Betty Crocker makes good GF cake, cookie, and brownie mixes
pancakes/waffles/biscuits: Look for the GF Bisquik mix
Pizza: Can be made on slices of bread, or Udi's makes a good GF pizza crust
Soy Sauce: Tamari soy is a GF soy sauce.

If you want recipes that are naturally GF with no subs whatsoever, look for things that are rice or potato based. Subbing GF pasta in a casserole isn't that hard, really.
I am also gluten intolerant. Much on your list is great. FYI, for pasta "Quinoa" brand pasta tastes just like semolina pasta. I was so surprised at how good it was. Also Pamela's chocolate cake mix is great. All of Pamela's baking products are great tasting.
itlw8 10:54 AM 02-03-2012
I know this is old but thank you anyway. I have a friend that may not have gluten. This list will be very helpful
Tags:allergies, food - allergies, gluten free
Reply Up