Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Natural, Holistic and RAW Lifestyle>Natural Cleaners
Country Kids 02:07 PM 06-18-2012
OK, to go with my new vision I was thinking of using natural cleaners also. Not sure how to make them though and want to make sure they really, really work.

Here is what I would need to clean/disinfect on a daily basis!

Toilets (Inside and out)
Sinks
Counters
Preschool table
Floors
Mirrors/windows
Wooden Table top-Dining room
Diaper changing pad

Bathtub-Nothing but scrubbing bubbles seem to work on this. I can't use anything that would be powdery and abrasive.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this!
Michael 02:13 PM 06-18-2012
Some others threads on eco-friendly cleaners:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18324

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17343

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14969
Heidi 02:15 PM 06-18-2012
I use Murphy's Oil soap on a lot of things. I THINK it's environmentally friendly. It works amazingly well, too. I looked it up once, couldn't find much info, but nothing negative.

Vinegar and water cleans great for a lot of things (windows, freshening laundry)

Baking soda instead of comet works pretty well most of the time

You know, even if you use the environmentally versions 75% of the time, and only use the harsh stuff now and then, it's a whole lot better than 100% harsh stuff...
cheerfuldom 03:29 PM 06-18-2012
Are you wanting to make your own cleaners or do store bought?
Kiki 03:58 PM 06-18-2012
I use Tea Tree oil. For everything. I use bleach in my kitchen during day care hours, but after, everything is re-cleaned with the multi-purpose cleaner I made with it. You can find it at Wal Mart, maybe Target, or at a natural food store. (Tea Tree oil is great for your first aid kits too, there are a ton of things you can do with it!)

Recipe for Multi Purpose Cleaner:
2 tsp tea tree oil
2 cups water
Spray bottle
Country Kids 04:11 PM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Are you wanting to make your own cleaners or do store bought?

I would like to make them if they are effective and cheap or buy them if they aren't outrageously priced!
Meyou 02:31 AM 06-19-2012
I use vinegar and water for alot of cleaning. I soak orange, lemon and lime peels in 2L of vinegar for 2 weeks and then drain it. Mix 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water in a spray bottle and go! The peels give it a nice citrus smell and the natural oils in the peels leaches out for more cleaning powder. This give me enough cleaner to last for a couple of months. I keep the extra concentrated vinegar in a jar under the sink.

Even my dh has told me that the wierd stuff in the spray bottle is fantastic for cleaning. lol

ETA: there are lots of ideas on pinerest for natural cleaners and remedies. I've unclogged a sink with baking soda and vinegar with instructions from there.
WImom 04:23 AM 06-19-2012
I use Method brand (at Target) and 7th generation brand.

I'd like to use homemade stuff but I'm too lazy. One of these days I will try it!
Countrygal 05:47 AM 06-19-2012
I love my floor cleaner:

1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup washing soda
1 T castile soap
Essential oil if desired, just one or two drops (I use a scented castile soap and no essential oil)

So easy, non-rinse and leaves the floors with a nice shine!
MizzCheryl 04:26 PM 06-19-2012
www.flylady.net
has the best purple rags. They are kinda high but you can clean things with NO PRODUCTS, just water. I have tons of windows and a sliding glass door and another glass kitchen door that have to be cleaned 2+ times a day. The purple rags clean them with only water and leave no streaks. It was hard to believe but it does. I don't have to buy window cleaner any more and I just toss the rags in the washer. I love her mop and refills for it are washable, no more buying swiffer pads. The initial price was a little was high but I saved because I don't have to buy cleaners. I do use a little ammonia when I mop but you could use vinegar or detergent.
KayzKidz 01:41 PM 06-06-2014
I use all natural cleaners in my daycare.. as long as the bottle has the EPA #'s on it the state is fine with it. I use Melaleuca concentrated cleaners, disinfectants, etc. Love that the kids can help clean up and such with no issues of any chemicals!
shiningstar 08:46 AM 01-04-2015
I use a thieves essential oil cleaning product from Young Living, that I love!! Unfortunately, for everyday cleaning with daycare, I'm required to use a water and bleach spray, and it gives me such bad headaches. Blech!
Sbogenrief 06:08 PM 04-07-2015
I have found a reliable EPA approved, research backed product that kills 99.90% of germs on contact including H1N1, Influenza A, MRSA, Ecoli, and more. Safe, Gloves not required, no child proof caps required on bottles.

MSDS for Clorox is an interesting read. Clorox or chlorine based products require gloves at least; mask if cleaner has breathing issues and if potent enough concentration respirator masks as those worn by painters is required.

If mixed with ammonia, chlorine is deadly!! If swallowed it is very harmful. So why do we require daycare providers to have such a toxic chemical around kids?

I would love to submit this product for approval to the Daycare governing bodies that be. Where can I start?
heyhun77 07:55 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by Sbogenrief:
I have found a reliable EPA approved, research backed product that kills 99.90% of germs on contact including H1N1, Influenza A, MRSA, Ecoli, and more. Safe, Gloves not required, no child proof caps required on bottles.

MSDS for Clorox is an interesting read. Clorox or chlorine based products require gloves at least; mask if cleaner has breathing issues and if potent enough concentration respirator masks as those worn by painters is required.

If mixed with ammonia, chlorine is deadly!! If swallowed it is very harmful. So why do we require daycare providers to have such a toxic chemical around kids?

I would love to submit this product for approval to the Daycare governing bodies that be. Where can I start?
Start with your childcare aware MN health consultant. Odds are good that he/she already has a list of non-bleach products you can substitute for bleach to sanitize. Ours for ND has a list and the product I use is on it as well as a few more. Our consultant is over the top about details when it comes to health and safety (both in her personal life and when consulting with providers) so sometimes you have to take her with a grain of salt but in this area she has already done the legwork for us. I'm willing to bet that information isn't just stored in her head/computer. I bet it's coming from others or in cooperation with others.
Michael 11:28 PM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by Sbogenrief:

Is it silver based? We've tried SpectraSan 24
aemcclane 05:07 PM 08-30-2015
I use vinegar and water in all of my cleaning. Bathroom, kitchen, etc. If there's been a lot of illness going around, I clean with undiluted hydrogen peroxide. I add a drop of dish soap, 10 drops each of tea tree oil and lemon and orange oils to my vinegar/water mixture. Love it!! And I love knowing my kids aren't getting chemicals all over them. And they help me clean!
Tags:eco-friendly, natural cleaners
Reply Up