Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Natural, Holistic and RAW Lifestyle>Interviewed A New Daycare....Disappointed!!
Unregistered 10:09 AM 04-08-2011
I found a new daycare and was really excited about the way she ran her daycare. Natural/organic food, all homemade meals (no processed food, she even bakes her own bread) lots of creative ideas for kids, outdoor play. She was very what I call a "crunchy granola mom" type. She did inform me on the phone that she was a "well child" daycare and that she had a strict policy for ill children not coming to her house. I figured it was because she did not like giving her kids medicine and tried to only give her family herbs and stuff for being sick. I'm in the medical research field, so we did not see eye to eye on this subject, but I figured, to each their own.

When we went to interview her...first of all, she acted like SHE was interviewing ME. I feel that she has no right to interview me since I pay HER. Second, she busts out with, "By law, I have to tell you that my children are not immunized." I just stare at her for a minute and ask her why. She says, "We claim exemption based on our personal philosophical beliefs." The she just smiles and waits for me to reply. I am stunned...flabbergasted...I tell her that I CANNOT believe she would be so ignorant. She then proceeds to tell me, a PhD, how she has researched it for the better part of 12 years (her oldest daughter is 12, I think) and is firm in her decision and that maybe my family is not a good match for her daycare....all said with a smug smile. I could not believe the way we were treated by that ignorant hippie! I was wondering if anyone knew the daycare laws in Michigan, can I have her shut down? I will be looking into what I can do to protect the rest of our community from disease from that house!! Any information that I get from here will be appreciated and put toward that effort.
jen 12:00 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I found a new daycare and was really excited about the way she ran her daycare. Natural/organic food, all homemade meals (no processed food, she even bakes her own bread) lots of creative ideas for kids, outdoor play. She was very what I call a "crunchy granola mom" type. She did inform me on the phone that she was a "well child" daycare and that she had a strict policy for ill children not coming to her house. I figured it was because she did not like giving her kids medicine and tried to only give her family herbs and stuff for being sick. I'm in the medical research field, so we did not see eye to eye on this subject, but I figured, to each their own.

When we went to interview her...first of all, she acted like SHE was interviewing ME. I feel that she has no right to interview me since I pay HER. Second, she busts out with, "By law, I have to tell you that my children are not immunized." I just stare at her for a minute and ask her why. She says, "We claim exemption based on our personal philosophical beliefs." The she just smiles and waits for me to reply. I am stunned...flabbergasted...I tell her that I CANNOT believe she would be so ignorant. She then proceeds to tell me, a PhD, how she has researched it for the better part of 12 years (her oldest daughter is 12, I think) and is firm in her decision and that maybe my family is not a good match for her daycare....all said with a smug smile. I could not believe the way we were treated by that ignorant hippie! I was wondering if anyone knew the daycare laws in Michigan, can I have her shut down? I will be looking into what I can do to protect the rest of our community from disease from that house!! Any information that I get from here will be appreciated and put toward that effort.

LOL!!! We ARE interviewing you! At any one time we have multiple families vying for a spot in our daycares...of course we want to pick the family who fits our personal values best! Oh my goodness...you will NOT get far with the "WE pay YOU" and "I'm a PhD" attitude! Yikes! Daycare is a collaboration! To enter into it with such a disrespectful attitude is outrageous! If you are looking for an employee, hire a nanny!

By the way...if you don't want your children around non-vac kid, you best hire a nanny and plan to home-school. I have a kid whose parents are doctors (the MD variety, not PhD) who don't vaccinate. Get over yourself.
dEHmom 12:08 PM 04-08-2011
the interview is just as much for her as it is for you.

If we were to accept EVERY family who walked in and demanded a spot, we'd all be in the looney bin right now.

As for putting her out of business, come on!

She informed you, she obviously knows that by law she had to so she did. As long as she is not hurting anyone, if a family decides they want to enroll there that is their business. That's just wrong that you're going to try and shut her down because you don't like her.
Michael 12:12 PM 04-08-2011
hhmm, We try to have an open debate here for both parents and providers. It should help impart some knowledge on what both "sides" are experiencing since that care it is a relationship for a period of time. I am always amused and amazed at the wide divide on what each side sees and expects of the other.

To be honest I would have no problem sending my children to this daycare "hippie" and I am not a hippie. Many states have guidelines, some strict some not so strict. Family daycare depends on the values of that particular family unit and you can decide whether a family is more suited for your children and beliefs. My suggestion would be to move on....
daycare 12:14 PM 04-08-2011

what is she doing that she diserves to be shut down?
Guess what...everyone resereves the right NOT to be immunized... The rules is, if you start them, unless for medical reasons, you have to finish them.

And yes, we are interviewing you as well. you want a good fit from both ends... it is a relationship.... would you have dated your spouse if everything was one sided? Would you have applied for your job if there was nothing there you liked? Both parties have to be able to work together on everything so it has to go both ways..

Was this your first time looking at a place for your child?
missnikki 12:16 PM 04-08-2011
Here we go... (grabs popcorn)
Michael 12:24 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
Don't grab too big of a bag. I'm only playing the trailor.
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 04-08-2011

Okay, first off; is this a joke??? If not, I am sorry this comes off as b.....y (rhymes with witchy) but this type of attitude royally p's me off!

I cannot believe how judgemental and rude your post is!!! This woman went from "crunchy granola" type to "ignorant hippie" in less than 100 words....WTH? Just because you have a PhD does not make you better or smarter than her. How do you know what her reasoning or line of thinking comes from?

Many many people choose not to immunize their children. The children who are not immunized are the ones at risk...not yours, so get over yourself! I cannot believe someone with a Phd does not implement the use of critical thinking skills...there are many reasons and lots of research that says it is both a good and bad thing to immunize...But no matter what, it is NOT your place to say what is best for her children. Plus if this woman was law abiding and informed you that her kids aren't immunized don't you think the state or county that licensed her already knows about it?? Plus it isn't against the law!!!

And on a side note SHE is interviewing you! SHE gets to decide if your child(ren) can play in HER house with HER toys, HER children, HER home, HER job. SHE has the right to make the decision on whether or not SHE wants you to come to HER home.

SHE is obviously the smart one even though she has no Phd because she knew enough not to accept you into her program and it was a good thing because you turned on her in a red hot minute because she did not share YOUR thoughts and ideas!! Who is the ignorant one?

Wow!!
daycare 12:28 PM 04-08-2011
lol I was thinking the same thing.....hmmm I love the net.. so many different walks of life..
Unregistered 12:29 PM 04-08-2011
If you want to try to report her, make sure you have other care first. Daycare providers feel that it is their duty to inform other providers if they suspect a parent has made a report, even if they have not - or if the report was made by a pediatrician or someone else who is aware of the situation. In this case, you may find that the openings you had a week ago are suddenly unavailable.

She should have made the issue of immunizations clear on the phone before she potentially exposed you and your child to her home.
morgan24 12:33 PM 04-08-2011

I think you should hire a nanny if you want an employee. When I conduct an interview with a potential client, I like to establish that we are a working partnership in the care of your children. I am not your employee.

What would you want her shut down for? For making a choice to not immunize? That is not against any of the daycare laws or rules. Before you continue your daycare search, you should go to the state site and look up the daycare laws and rules. That way you will be familiar with them and won't be going to interview with a blind eye.
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol I was thinking the same thing.....hmmm I love the net.. so many different walks of life..
I just do not get how people can say "to each his own" and then turn around and be so judgemental when the line of thinking doesn't match their ideas of what is right! This sort of narrow mindedness really gets under my skin!

And to throw that Phd comment in there! I thought people were learning to be accepting and open minded and respectful and supportive...I had no idea that "to each his own" meant it is okay as long as it is the same as their version!!!

Grrrrrr. I gotta go now, I am too mad to type.
morgan24 12:35 PM 04-08-2011
HaHaHa....I didn't see this the first time I read it. Move over and share your popcorn please!!!
daycare 12:42 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
HaHaHa....I didn't see this the first time I read it. Move over and share your popcorn please!!!
I don't like popcorn, so I'll bring the beer....lol
daycare 12:43 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I just do not get how people can say "to each his own" and then turn around and be so judgemental when the line of thinking doesn't match their ideas of what is right! This sort of narrow mindedness really gets under my skin!

And to throw that Phd comment in there! I though people were learning to be accepting and open minded and respectful and supportive...I had no idea that "to each his own" meant it is okay as long as it is the same as their version!!!

Grrrrrr. If gotta go now, I am too mad to type.
trust me...i'm with you on this one.....

You would also think that someone with a PHd would already know the laws on immunizations, but guess not..
geeerrr I have nothing more to say...just gonna wait to be entertained by this post...
nannyde 01:17 PM 04-08-2011
Oh Lawdy

I thought I was reading about myself there for a few paragraphs...

Can you call her back and tell her to come on over to daycare.com She sounds like my kind of provider.
Crystal 01:25 PM 04-08-2011
WOW!!!!!

Just an FYI, it is quite possible that any program you look into enrolling your child at will have children enrolled who are not immunized based on religious beliefs. BUT, you would never know that because it is confidential information, we cannot share info about other children with you. SO, you might want to find a nanny, God forbid your IMMUNIZED child who is not at risk, might come into contact with a NON-IMMUNIZED child. It won't matter, because your child is protected, and I would think someone with a Ph.D. would know that. Oh, you might want to home school too, because there are many children in public and private schools who are not immunized.
MsMe 01:28 PM 04-08-2011
I don't really know how I feel about immunizations yet i think I am for them but I don't have any kids yet. I reserve the right to change my mind so I try not to judge.

But other than that I think this lady sounds fantastic! I can all garentee that she was interview you too and she does NOT want you in her daycare.

Also if you children are vac does it really matter if hers are not?
missnikki 01:50 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by LLD:
Also if you children are vac does it really matter if hers are not?
Not to the OP.

What's important that we must know is that they have a PhD. A PhD in Grandiose Delusion, minoring in Infectious Disease Control.
youretooloud 01:55 PM 04-08-2011
You have GOT to be a troll. RIght? I can't believe this is real.
SilverSabre25 01:57 PM 04-08-2011
Blackcat...you pretty much said it all for me. WOW.

Nannyde...I thought I was reading about myself at first but since I don't bake my own bread (oh, how I wish, I WISH I had the time and equipment to do so!) and I don't live in Michigan, it's not, lol.

I think it would be funny if one of us ever recognizes ourselves in one of these posts...
youretooloud 02:00 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Nannyde...I thought I was reading about myself at first but since I don't bake my own bread (oh, how I wish, I WISH I had the time and equipment to do so!) and I don't live in Michigan, it's not, lol. ...
I have a bread machine, and it's easy, but not much cheaper than buying a loaf of bread.

It's probably healthier though... But, I don't know how to cut it into slices. It comes out too thick.

It does make my house smell amazing though!!! I've seen lots of bread makers on Craiglist. You should look for a second hand one and see if you even like it.

I kinda want a yogurt maker.
morgan24 02:18 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
You have GOT to be a troll. RIght? I can't believe this is real.
This could be the Friday debate. If its real I'm in MI, I want to make sure I don't run into this parent.

Crystal...I'm going to look at the rules later, but I think in MI if have a child or our own are not immunize we are required to let the other parents know. I know that it's on the child in care statement form the parents fill out.
Meyou 02:26 PM 04-08-2011
I don't vaccinate and always tell families although I'm not required to do so where I live. What I don't understand is why the OP can trust a vaccine enough to inject it's chemical contents into her child but yet can't trust it to protect her child from the unvax'd children. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting it in the first place if you don't trust it.

I guess logic isn't a requirement for a PhD. :P
grandmom 02:27 PM 04-08-2011
Oh-my-gosh. Count me in for I'M INTERVIEWING YOU team.

Is this person for real?

Not only do I interview the prospective parent, but I require that they fill out the immunization exemption. I can't be bothered with keeping track of this information.

Yogurt is God's food. I love home-made yogurt. Make it every week.
SilverSabre25 02:27 PM 04-08-2011
I have a bread machine, and it's easy, but not much cheaper than buying a loaf of bread.

It's probably healthier though... But, I don't know how to cut it into slices. It comes out too thick.

It does make my house smell amazing though!!! I've seen lots of bread makers on Craiglist. You should look for a second hand one and see if you even like it.

I have considered a bread machine. Part of the problem though is that I am gluten-free and it requires a bit of work to get GOOD gluten free bread. Based on the newest reading I've done on the subject, I don't think a bread maker would actually do what I needed it to do. The main equipment I'm missing a good stand mixer (and oh, how I covet a nice Kitchenaid... I want one SOOOO badly).
youretooloud 02:38 PM 04-08-2011
This could be the Friday debate. If its real I'm in MI, I want to make sure I don't run into this parent.
t.
I love a debate.. but, this one insults nearly everybody on earth. Non vaxing parents, daycare providers, people who don't have a PHD, people who bake bread... The only sore subject she missed was Circumcision.. and maybe public breast feeding.. I think she left that one out.

And she threw herself under the bus with this statement. "she acted like SHE was interviewing ME. I feel that she has no right to interview me since I pay HER"
youretooloud 02:42 PM 04-08-2011
I have considered a bread machine. Part of the problem though is that I am gluten-free and it requires a bit of work to get GOOD gluten free bread. Based on the newest reading I've done on the subject, I don't think a bread maker would actually do what I needed it to do. The main equipment I'm missing a good stand mixer (and oh, how I covet a nice Kitchenaid... I want one SOOOO badly).

I wonder if those mixes are any good? I've bought a few mixes in the past, but not gluten free.

I have an urge to bake bread now.
Unregistered 02:43 PM 04-08-2011

She did what the law required-she told you her children aren't immunized! Many children that go to school are not immunized. Do you also realize many children are in childcare/schools are HIV positive or do have AIDS and legally we cannot turn them away because of this-parents legally don't have to tell us. If we do know we by law can tell no other parents. So be thankful she told you that her children aren't immunized because when your child is in school who knows who they will be in class with and what possible cooties they will catch and you won't know who it was from!

Its sad because so MANY doctors are now allowing children to return to childcare with notes when they know they are still contagious but the notes say it is fine for them to be in childcare. So who is ignorant now-the hippie or the PhD and we wonder why are children are constently sick!
youretooloud 02:43 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by grandmom:

Yogurt is God's food. I love home-made yogurt. Make it every week.
Can you make greek yogurt?
Michael 02:48 PM 04-08-2011
I am gluten intolerant. Finding a great gluten free bread is tough. I've found the best is made by UDI's. Their bagels are great. Also, "123 Gluten Free" makes great mixes for your bread machine.
SilverSabre25 02:51 PM 04-08-2011
I wonder if those mixes are any good? I've bought a few mixes in the past, but not gluten free.

I have an urge to bake bread now.
Mixes are...eh...so-so. Like with many things, homemade tastes MUCH better.

Originally Posted by Michael:
I am gluten intolerant. Finding a great gluten free bread is tough. I've found the best is made by UDI's. Their bagels are great. Also, "123 Gluten Free" makes great mixes for your bread machine.
Yes, Udi's is by FAR the best commercial GF bread! And I do love their bagels (mmm...could go for a ham and cheese on a bagel right about now!). I was really happy when my regular grocery store started carrying Udis. I've never seen/heard of 123 gluten free. I'll have to look around.
Blackcat31 02:54 PM 04-08-2011
Mixes are...eh...so-so. Like with many things, homemade tastes MUCH better.

Yes, Udi's is by FAR the best commercial GF bread! And I do love their bagels (mmm...could go for a ham and cheese on a bagel right about now!). I was really happy when my regular grocery store started carrying Udis. I've never seen/heard of 123 gluten free. I'll have to look around.
Don't listen to Silver....she's crazy!!! (she even said so)

...and I bet she doesn't have a Phd. either....lol!!
Michael 03:01 PM 04-08-2011

How is she crazy, she is agreeing with me..
cheerfuldom 03:03 PM 04-08-2011
don't even get me started on the multiple topics this brought up.

I guess now, anyone I pay works exclusively for me. They no longer have any rights or thoughts of their own nor are they allowed to make decisions for their own children unless it specifically agrees with mine. I'll be gone for a bit while I call my paper boy, sandwich delivery guy, hair stylist....gotta grab my address book.....gotta call my daughter's future preschool teacher.....maybe I should call my pastor since I do give an offering on Sundays....oh wait, and my subdivision association since I pay dues, to heck with any other homeowner in my neighborhood because I am the most important.....
SilverSabre25 03:04 PM 04-08-2011

Nope, no PHD here. I have a Bachelor's though! And plan to someday to get my Master's. So there. ::sticks out tongue:: I'm Wolowitz I guess (Big Bang Theory reference for those not "in the know") and the OP is...Sheldon?

And what exactly should they not listen to me about, again?
daycare 03:05 PM 04-08-2011
lol Yes i was also told by a past dcp that she pays me to wipe her child's butt................lmao....
treehugger82 03:11 PM 04-08-2011
OMG, this thread cracks me up! Went from a PhD flamming hippe daycare providers to a very civil conversation about yogurt and bread.... I love these forums!!
BTW, Yay for the hippie daycare and down with "the Man"....(that would be you Mr or Mrs. PhD)....I know I missed the train here, but just saw the thread, so had to give my two cents
morgan24 03:19 PM 04-08-2011
Is the homemade yogurt the one made in the crock pot? I would like the recipe for it please.
missnikki 03:26 PM 04-08-2011
I think you make yogurt using yogurt. It's like a live-culture thing- it...grows itself... look it up, I don't wanna think about it, just wanna eat it.
And the Greek yogurt is the most amazing thing ever.
daycare 03:38 PM 04-08-2011
I love how this went from crazy nut op to a post about yogurt and bread. Just goes to show how much we all care. Lmao. Too funny
missnikki 03:40 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
i love how this went from crazy nut op to a post about yogurt and bread. Just goes to show how much we all care. Lmao. Too funny
i said greek yogurt!!!!!!11!!one!
treehugger82 03:41 PM 04-08-2011
I would like the recipe for it please.
Me too!!! I loooovves yogurt! I eat it almost every day, it would be cool to make my own.
youretooloud 03:52 PM 04-08-2011
Is the homemade yogurt the one made in the crock pot? I would like the recipe for it please.
I have TWO crockpots. I'm excited to look that up!
kidkair 04:23 PM 04-08-2011
This thread was hilarious! I love ending work on a good happy note.
KEG123 04:28 PM 04-08-2011
Glad to know what you mighty Phd's think of us dirty hippies.
SandeeAR 04:35 PM 04-08-2011
Well I just got on and read this, so I guess all the popcorn is gone! That's ok, I ordered a Pizza tonight anyway

Besides, the thread went soft with all that yogurt and bread talk......darn, I was hoping for a hot thread to keep me company tonight. DH has been in bed since 6 (gotta get up at 3).
missnikki 04:45 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Well I just got on and read this, so I guess all the popcorn is gone! That's ok, I ordered a Pizza tonight anyway

Besides, the thread went soft with all that yogurt and bread talk......darn, I was hoping for a hot thread to keep me company tonight. DH has been in bed since 6 (gotta get up at 3).
Something about this post....makes me want to start my weekend.... OK folks, I'm off to find a Hot Thread!!! Woo Hoo!!!

See ya Monday!
youretooloud 04:59 PM 04-08-2011
I just notice the "tags" at the bottom of this thread. LOL. The last tag is "weird". How did that happen?
Stacy214 05:00 PM 04-08-2011

Me too! About the bread, I love the way the house smells but we usually end up just breaking it apart!
SilverSabre25 05:34 PM 04-08-2011
I just notice the "tags" at the bottom of this thread. LOL. The last tag is "weird". How did that happen?
Actually the last one says "wierd". Michael, you spelled "weird" wrong!
MissAnn 05:38 PM 04-08-2011

I am absolutely flabbergasted at your rudeness. I'm sorry, but we are business owners and yes, we are interviewing you. We need to find out if you and your family are a good fit. Obviously, you will not fit in her program. Ignorant hippie? Wow!
daysofelijah 05:38 AM 04-09-2011
Don't come to my daycare, my kids aren't vaccinated either I'm probably one you might call an ignorant hippie, as well, despite the fact I am well on my way to my master's degree. She is well within her rights as a parent to protect her children from what she believes is dangerous. So you keep riding your high horse off to the next daycare and shut up about it.
Abigail 09:13 PM 04-09-2011
I would like to hear back from the original poster. Where did Sheldon come from? I got lost in all the food.
anabel 05:24 AM 04-10-2011
Hi, I know I am kinda off topic but it does seem to be going along the yoghurt and bread line so...
Don't buy a yoghurt maker!! Waste of money, not necessary! I'm sure you all have wide neck Thermos flasks in your cupboard. All you do is gently scald your milk, allow it to cool down to a a warm temp (can't remember off hand how warm you'll need to google that) add a good tablespoon or two - or small individual pot of live yoghurt and mix it up. Pour into your thermos and leave for 6-8 hours. Job done. If you want a thick yoghurt end product just dissolve in a tablespoon of dried milk at the scalding point. Don't waste your money on a yoghurt maker cos you really really don't need one. The thermos will already be in your cupboard and it doesn't require the use of electricity for the transformation.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 04-10-2011
Nope, no PHD here. I have a Bachelor's though! And plan to someday to get my Master's. So there. ::sticks out tongue:: I'm Wolowitz I guess (Big Bang Theory reference for those not "in the know") and the OP is...Sheldon?

And what exactly should they not listen to me about, again?
I meant no disrespect Silver....I really don't think you are crazy! LOL! I was only trying (unsuccessfully ?) to be a bit lighthearted in light of being blinded by absolute anger/confusion brought on by the OP's complete lack of respect for anyone who has a different outlook than her.

I was referring to your previous thread about being crazy and pulling out your carpet....WHILE preggers and by yourself! You go girl!!

I know ABSOLUTELY zero about bread makers and/or UDI's (?)

FTR Silver, I think you are pretty cool!
momatheart 11:14 AM 04-10-2011

LOL you are too much.

I think this provider sounds WONDERFUL!!! Instead of being so high and mighty thinking you're all that why don't you take what she has to say about her ways and do the research yourself?

By the way, my daughter is not vacinated. This is my choice and hers. She and I talked it over and asked her to reasearch the imunization etc. She did and came up with her own decision to not vacinate. Her friend whoes father does research on diseases to find medicine for them doesn't give his own daughter some of the vacines that are out there because he knows what is in them and that some of them are just hype!
SilverSabre25 11:43 AM 04-10-2011
I meant no disrespect Silver....I really don't think you are crazy! LOL! I was only trying (unsuccessfully ?) to be a bit lighthearted in light of being blinded by absolute anger/confusion brought on by the OP's complete lack of respect for anyone who has a different outlook than her.

I was referring to your previous thread about being crazy and pulling out your carpet....WHILE preggers and by yourself! You go girl!!

I know ABSOLUTELY zero about bread makers and/or UDI's (?)

FTR Silver, I think you are pretty cool!
Oh, dont' worry, I knew you were being lighthearted! I was trying (unsuccessfully) to be lighthearted right back!

And thanks, Blackcat--I needed the compliments today! You're pretty cool yourself.
missnikki 12:08 PM 04-10-2011
For the record, I love homemade bread, yogurt, SilverSabre and BlackCat, too.

This thread delivers!
Michael 02:05 PM 04-10-2011
Actually the last one says "wierd". Michael, you spelled "weird" wrong!
Hey, don't blame the tag-messenger. Anyone can tag, not just me.
SilverSabre25 04:33 PM 04-10-2011
Hey, don't blame the tag-messenger. Anyone can tag, not just me.
oh, huh, never knew that...interesting... :P
Unregistered 04:47 AM 04-11-2011
My goodness! While I agree that the hippie remark was a poor choice of words, I also feel that the pile-on mob attack by most members is just as bad. Isn't this section for parents to ask questions?

To the OP, personally, I wouldn't put my children in a school that didn't vaccinate... but that's my choice. As it is yours. You are the parent and there are plenty of dcps that believe in immunization.... only a small fraction of the US population doesn't (1 in 5, I think).

And sorry you had to see your thread hijacked and treated like a joke not only here but also in the provider thread. It's no wonder that the parent section is rarely used....

And yes, I have the gall to post this as unregistered, which for some strange reason, even though it is allowed on this site, is usually treated with suspicion and disrespect.
dEHmom 04:58 AM 04-11-2011
I am rofl the last ummm 30 or so posts lol. I wanted to comment on a lot of them, but it would take me all day.

the op would be shocked if she discovered majority of us enjoy hillbilly housewife lol.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 04-11-2011
For the record, I love homemade bread, yogurt, SilverSabre and BlackCat, too.

This thread delivers!
Awwww....you are so sweet! Right back at ya!!
Unregistered 09:28 AM 04-11-2011
There's nothing to report her for. It's 100% legal for her to have a daycare center with unimmunized children, both family and center daycares. It sounds like you're a new mom searching for your first daycare. It's a very stressful process, because you'll soon realize that no care is going to be as good as what you can provide yourself so you're going to have to make compromises along the way when it comes to choosing a daycare. Most family and center daycares have web sites nowadays. I recommend you check web sites first before requesting a tour so you can get a better idea on what their philosophies and policies are - that will prevent any unpleasant surprises and potential conflict during the tour.

At this stage of your life, you probably have friends who have kids in daycare - get referrals and the inside scoop from your friends. Don't let looks fool you - sometimes the worst looking places have the best teachers and student materials (center chooses to hire and keep more experienced, higher educated staff and keeps toys and student materials updated rather then updating cosmestics on building). Not all daycares interview potential customers. I personally took offense to daycares interviewing me as well, which is why I chose not to place my child at an in home.

Centers tend to not interview parents and encourage parents to interview them - though just about all info you get from center interview can be found in their parent handbook and contract and web site prior to the tour, including philosophies and ideals and the ways they handle most types of situations that may arise during your child's development. Either way you choose, just be sure to avoid or immediately leave daycares that don't practice the philosophies that they teach. Also, avoid or immediately leave daycares that can't seem to handle the daily basics of your child's care. Outside of a nanny, it seems a center will give you more of a piece of mind.
youretooloud 01:23 PM 04-11-2011
My goodness! While I agree that the hippie remark was a poor choice of words, I also feel that the pile-on mob attack by most members is just as bad. Isn't this section for parents to ask questions?
It is.. but, nobody thinks this OP is for real. If she'd asked this same question without the "ignorant hippie", and the "can I report her and have her shut down?" remarks, we would have believed him or her. But, since "ignorant hippie" was used, we have every right to make snide remarks. You give up any chance at respect when you make a post like that. ( the "*I* pay HER" comment was a nice touch too)

The OP worded everything in such a way to create an ugly debate, and be attacked.

No matter where she went to ask that question, with the way it was worded, the whole post had no chance to be taken seriously. It's called "trolling".

There are also people who will say "I just tried the new Downey fabric softener.. it's wonderful". Then they add a link, so it looks like a nice post, but it's actually spam.
Blackcat31 02:40 PM 04-11-2011
It is.. but, nobody thinks this OP is for real. If she'd asked this same question without the "ignorant hippie", and the "can I report her and have her shut down?" remarks, we would have believed him or her. But, since "ignorant hippie" was used, we have every right to make snide remarks. You give up any chance at respect when you make a post like that. ( the "*I* pay HER" comment was a nice touch too)

The OP worded everything in such a way to create an ugly debate, and be attacked.

No matter where she went to ask that question, with the way it was worded, the whole post had no chance to be taken seriously. It's called "trolling".

There are also people who will say "I just tried the new Downey fabric softener.. it's wonderful". Then they add a link, so it looks like a nice post, but it's actually spam.
For me personally, it was the "She then proceeds to tell me, a PhD,..." remark that got me going. No amount of letters after a name gives anyone the right to treat another human being as though their opinions or feelings do not count or are not as valid. The rest was just further proof of where the real ignorance lies.
missnikki 02:53 PM 04-11-2011
This is the kind of thread that I tend to disregard all unregistered's opinions, because it was one who started it. And for the record, the OP is a master fisherman and superior troll. Lots of bites! You win this round, unregistered.

Michael 02:59 PM 04-11-2011
This is the kind of thread that I tend to disregard all unregistered's opinions, because it was one who started it. And for the record, the OP is a master fisherman and superior troll. Lots of bites! You win this round, unregistered.
I can see the IP of everyone and there are a LOT of different posters that are unregistered. Many of our members were trolling here before signing up.
missnikki 03:16 PM 04-11-2011
I can see the IP of everyone and there are a LOT of different posters that are unregistered. Many of our members were trolling here before signing up.
I think of 'trolling' as someone who intentionally stirs the pot. Lurking and offering helpful insights is fine by me, and I never mind anyone one here being unregistered unless they are hateful or spiteful. I like to think that's reserved for us members...
Michael 03:24 PM 04-11-2011
I think of 'trolling' as someone who intentionally stirs the pot. Lurking and offering helpful insights is fine by me, and I never mind anyone one here being unregistered unless they are hateful or spiteful. I like to think that's reserved for us members...
Remember, EVERY unregistered post has to be vetted. It may even take a full day for it to appear. They can not have a conversation in real-time. They can not PM. Make you feel better now?
daycare 03:42 PM 04-11-2011

rofl........this made my day that was tooo funny
Kaddidle Care 04:09 PM 04-11-2011

I hope you don't mind but I nicked your picture!
missnikki 04:29 PM 04-11-2011
Ok, Michael. You are the voice of reason, so if you tell me to back off, I will. But I still want a can of that spray handy...for other, less well-moderated forums....
nannyde 07:22 AM 04-12-2011
I lurked for over a year before posting.
Zoe 07:23 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I lurked for over a year before posting.
It's true. I lurked for a while before feeling comfortable enough to post here.
missnikki 07:30 AM 04-12-2011
Lurking=good
anonymously spouting negativity=bad
jen 09:58 AM 04-12-2011
Lurking=good
anonymously spouting negativity=bad
Where's the LOVE button?
lil angels 11:04 AM 04-12-2011
WOW the person that started this thread can't be for real. Look at how nice this has gotten. I don't think anyone has the time of day for someone like this. HOLY CRAP what a BEEEEP oh ya I love the smell of bread in my house to. I buy the frozen loafs and let them rise over night and then cook them. I take the easy way out I guess. But I do make banana bread and thing like that homemade the latest was banana and polmagranite bread. Yummy
missnikki 11:07 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
WOW the person that started this thread can't be for real. Look at how nice this has gotten. I don't think anyone has the time of day for someone like this. HOLY CRAP what a BEEEEP oh ya I love the smell of bread in my house to. I buy the frozen loafs and let them rise over night and then cook them. I take the easy way out I guess. But I do make banana bread and thing like that homemade the latest was banana and polmagranite bread. Yummy
Recipe or it didn't happen.
lil angels 11:16 AM 04-12-2011
ok I don't have time to type it all in and I don't know how to copy it here just google Pomegranate pistachio, banana bread its great I bought my pom seeds at sams already cleaned for me so it didn't take as long as it should have. Good Luck hope you can figure it out with the mumbo jumbo that I posted for you.
dEHmom 12:14 PM 04-12-2011
Recipe or it didn't happen.

MyAngels 01:01 PM 04-12-2011
I googled and came up with these, both of which look sooooo good:

http://www.pomwonderful.com/recipes/...stachio-bread/

http://healthycoconut.wordpress.com/...-banana-bread/
Meeko 12:57 PM 04-13-2011

OMG! LOL!!!! Very funny post.....wait a sec.......you're serious?? Even funnier!

and YES....she WAS interviewing you!!!!

normad 03:58 PM 04-15-2011
Day care centers are there to be able to properly take care of your child they best way they can in such a manner that it would actually feel like a second home for your child that is why it is best that you;d be able to find the perfect match for you, not only in terms of service but also in values, beliefs and morals since you wouldn't want your child to end up totally opposite from you right? that is why it is important that both parties be able to collaborate ad get to know each other more to be able to settle what is best for your child, after all its all about your child right?
Unregistered 10:10 PM 04-19-2011
OP... YES, by all means she was interviewing you! OMG, she's looking at dealing with you on a daily basis, and you don't think you were being interviewed?

You have to be new to daycare. Providers don't give a rat's behind how many letters are behind your name. They interview you, they determine if you and your child are a right fit for their business. You have nothing to report about this person. Simply move along to a provider who better fits your needs. Remember, YOU have to fit for THEM, too. This isn't a one sided deal.
Unregistered 10:32 AM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I am absolutely flabbergasted at your rudeness. I'm sorry, but we are business owners and yes, we are interviewing you. We need to find out if you and your family are a good fit. Obviously, you will not fit in her program. Ignorant hippie? Wow!
I totally agree.
I too, pick and choose who I want in my childcare as well.
My business, my rules.
After reading this, it validates my point......

Hire a nanny..
Tags:bad interview, gluten free, homemade, immunization waivers, immunizations, michigan, weird
Reply Up