Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Natural, Holistic and RAW Lifestyle>Raw Goat's Milk?
misspollywog 02:19 PM 10-13-2011
Help??

I have a 2 yo dcg whose mom has her on raw goat's milk and she wants her on it here. Since I'm a small family home dc with no licensing requirements in my state I can do things like this at my own discretion but I'm not sure if I should since I am trying to stay within the state's standards in case I ever do get licensed and if I were licensed I'm pretty sure this would be a no-no. She was very adamant that her dd be on it, so hmmm... what would you do??
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 10-13-2011
I would request a doctor's note stating it is ok. Boy, I don't know. Never had that one come up before.....

What happens if she gets sick or something from it....sure hate that to fall back on you.

What are her reason's for it?

Okay, I found this about it and I would still be leary or the safety risks:

"Some farmers and consumers believe that goat's milk is healthier when consumed raw, though the FDA warns that unpasteurized milk can harbor deadly diseases. Milk "straight from the goat", like human milk, is a living product containing antibacterial cells, probiotics and functional enzymes. Some of milk's nutritional properties may be destroyed during pasteurization.

Still, according to the majority of food-safety experts, all milk should be thoroughly treated prior to consumption. Many seemingly-healthy goats are actually carriers of deadly human-transmissible diseases, and the chemical composition of goat's milk is favorable for the growth of pathogens. People who are very young, very old, pregnant or immunosuppressed are at the highest risk of contracting illnesses through raw goat's milk."

They do say it is easier digested and has some good health benefits. it also states goat's milk is the mostly widely consumed milk available but there is much controversy when it comes to raw or pasturized.
nannyde 02:39 PM 10-13-2011
Sure with a note from a Dr.

We aren't allowed to serve raw milk.
kendallina 03:09 PM 10-13-2011
I serve it to one of my preschoolers. I'm unlicensed and can do things how I want, but I do try to follow most of licensing regs. This is one where I would be out of compliance, however...
misspollywog 03:14 PM 10-13-2011
Thanks for the replies, I was thinking I could write up a form for her to sign, stating that she is supplying it and I agree to give it with her permission - kind of like a medicine release?

But I think the dr. thing would be better, or even both just for my own peace of mind.
misspollywog 03:16 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I serve it to one of my preschoolers. I'm unlicensed and can do things how I want, but I do try to follow most of licensing regs. This is one where I would be out of compliance, however...
Rebel!

I am just paranoid given that they *could* get sick from it and I don't want the liability to fall back on me. I'm tempted to try some myself though, heck, maybe I'll want my own dairy goat lol.
kendallina 04:35 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by misspollywog:
Rebel!

I am just paranoid given that they *could* get sick from it and I don't want the liability to fall back on me. I'm tempted to try some myself though, heck, maybe I'll want my own dairy goat lol.
I'm usually such a rule-follower! I DO feel like a rebel!

I've never tried it, but my DD is allergic (protein allergy) to cow's milk, but many times people with milk protein allergies can drink raw milk. This family said they'd be happy to give me a cup for DD to try, but I'm not going to risk it.
gelbesonn 06:27 PM 10-13-2011
There are many health benefits to raw milk (goat or cow)- assuming it's organic and grass-fed/pasture raised. Many kids with cow milk intolerance can handle goat's milk really well. Since it's not readily available at the grocery store, many people get it directly from the farmer.
Pasteurized means simply, that it wasn't boiled to kill off any bacteria. Most of the danger in bacteria comes from poor milking "hygiene," meaning, the farmer doesn't clean the teats well enough from any dirt/manure.
If you are nervous about it being raw, you could ask the mom if she wouldn't mind her/you boiling it before serving it to the DCK (after it has cooled, of course), and explain the regulations and that if it has been boiled, it will meet the state regulations. (This also gives her an out to "say" she boils it, even if she doesn't. What you don't know won't hurt you, right?)
misspollywog 06:40 PM 10-13-2011
Originally Posted by gelbesonn:
If you are nervous about it being raw, you could ask the mom if she wouldn't mind her/you boiling it before serving it to the DCK (after it has cooled, of course), and explain the regulations and that if it has been boiled, it will meet the state regulations. (This also gives her an out to "say" she boils it, even if she doesn't. What you don't know won't hurt you, right?)
That's brilliant, thank you.
Tags:milk, milk - raw, raw foods
Reply Up