Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Phrase a Closing Letter?
Unregistered 07:21 AM 03-09-2010
I've been watching DCB for over a year, since he was a newborn. Currently, he is my only DC child and come the end of the school year I would like to no longer watch child/-ren so that I can give more attention to my own, volunteer in their classrooms, spend time on myself, etc. What type of wording would you use? This family has been pretty great as far as paying on time, being flexible, and communication. I DEF do not want to offend them or hurt them, and want to give them as much time as possible to find other care. Here are my questions:

When would you notify them?
How would you word it?
Would you deliver via letter or face to face?
What else do I need to think of? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks so much!
Ronnie 01:59 PM 03-09-2010
When would you notify them?
Give them two weeks notice.

How would you word it?
======
Parent Name
Address
Town, State/zip

Our family will be "reasone here" and it is with much regret that we will be closing the daycare. Our last day of care will be on (date).

Should you need assistance in finding alternate care, or have any questions please feel free to contact me.

We have enjoyed the company of (names of children), and will miss their smiling faces! We wish you and your family all the best and hope that we can keep in touch!

Sincerely,

Caregiver name
Daycare Business Name
==========

Would you deliver via letter or face to face?
Both, briefly mention the changes along with a letter.

What else do I need to think of? Am I forgetting anything?
Be prepared for some parents being angry.
Persephone 03:37 PM 03-09-2010
Personally I think I would tell them about a month before you plan to stop. Since your not just stopping because of the child or anything like.

I think you should do it face to face. Just tell them the reasons you want to stop. Let them know that it had nothing to do with the child. Maybe if you can find some referrals to give them to start calling to find new care.
Unregistered 06:04 AM 03-10-2010
If you know for sure now that you will be closing then id give them a months notice, two weeks is fine for some notices but for closing id say give more if you dont think they'd pull him now or if you dont have to depend on that income, I'd hand the parents a written notice (good business practice) and i would tell them that you are closing to be able to spend more time one on one with your kids. Tell them in the letter that you appreciate them sharing their child with you and that you have enjoyed working with them and will miss him.
I too wish i could stop doing childcare, i love the kids but am getting tired of my house not really being my house but all in all since i have to work this is what i want to do:-) Just wish i didnt have to work,lol
kiddie care
Carole's Daycare 07:02 AM 03-10-2010
I guess I would write a letter to make the notice formal- Thanking them for the opportunity to be a part of their child's life, and how much it has meant to you. Express your gratitude and appreciation. Then explain that upon reflection, over the course of the last year your family's needs have changed.Let them know you feel a strong desire to be a more integral part of your son's life, and since he is in school now, for that to happen you need to have the time and flexibility to volunteer in his classroom, chaperone on field trips etc. As the time committment involved in being a dependable childcare provider precludes that flexibility, you and your family have decided it is time to stop childcare. Perhaps you are willing to assist them in finding new childcare, or even be a drop in or backup on an occasional basis on days when their new daycare is closed? Then, To give you adequate time to find alternate childcare, I will cease providing care on (insert date with sufficient notice here). Thank you for your understanding, it has been a priveledge working with you and I wish you and your family the best.
Unregistered 01:15 PM 03-10-2010
I was so glad to see your post. I have 2 DCK's right now and I am also planning to close to spend more time with DD. I also love the DCF's and they are actually both my good friends. I just feel terrible and don't want to lose them as friends!

There have been some great suggestions on here! I am just going to let them know, face to face, that I need to close the daycare to spend more time with DD, one on one. With the other kids here, we can't really leave the house. I would love to get DD involved in other activities during the week, visit library story time, etc.

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you!
Unregistered 05:02 PM 03-10-2010
Thanks for all the advice.

Do you think 6 weeks is enough notice?
Persephone 07:06 PM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for all the advice.

Do you think 6 weeks is enough notice?
I think 6 weeks is more then enough.
momofboys 05:17 AM 03-11-2010
I personally don't think you need to give that much notice. My thought is once you tell someone you no longer wish to do something (for whatever reason) both parties probably would like to "be done" sooner than later. Unless you have a really wonderful relationship with the parent I would not give that much notice, 3-4 weeks sounds like plenty of time to me but then that is just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Tags:closing letter
Reply Up