Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lincoln Logs
Abigail 07:06 PM 03-01-2011
I have two sets of Lincoln Logs that I bought second-hand. How do I clean the logs? I have tried googling it and even went to the web site by Knex and didn't find anything specific on how to do routine cleaning and sanitizing. What would you do?
littlemissmuffet 07:49 PM 03-01-2011
Dump them in a sink/tub/container of water/bleach solution and start scrubbing with a scrubby brush. Rinse. Let dry on a towel overnight.
The bleach/water will not ruin them, just change the color.
Or, yu could always just use Lysol disinfecting spray.
Abigail 09:32 PM 03-01-2011
what color does the bleach water mixture change them?
nannyde 02:08 AM 03-02-2011
Yikes what is on them? If they don't show any surface dirt then you shouldn't have to get too froggy with them.

We just do clorox anywhere spray on a rag and then clean them individually.

How many 10.5 inch sticks did you get in your batches? Not the roof stuff but the notched logs.
countrymom 05:31 AM 03-02-2011
I just lysol, unless there is some dirt then I take baby wipes or soap and water and gently wipe them down.
dEHmom 06:00 AM 03-02-2011
yeah for my toys on a daily basis I use the lysol spray. For a soaking its bleach water. But the spray leaves weird residue on the hotwheels I noticed, so I started wiping them off with a damp cloth after they dry with the lysol spray. Just imagining the kids putting the lysol spray residue in their mouths yuck.
DCMom 06:36 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Dump them in a sink/tub/container of water/bleach solution and start scrubbing with a scrubby brush. Rinse. Let dry on a towel overnight.
This is what I do. I've never had them change color though. I do it whenever they are out (they are a 'once in a while' toy') because the younger ones always seem to have them in their mouths.
missnikki 06:42 AM 03-02-2011
For those kinds of toys, I just put them in a zippered mesh lingerie bag and set them on the top rack of my dishwasher, hottest setting. (Especially now that my dishwasher sparkles...)
Abigail 04:43 PM 03-02-2011
I paid $3 and $5.50 for both sets at different places. They look clean and only one small log was chipped which I tossed. I now have a total of 175 pieces and over a dozen doors/windows/ladders/roofs, etc. I plan to split them in half because there is no way I need all those out at one time, but I like the variety I have. They all look clean for the most part and I will use bleach water mixture for the plastics. I love getting good deals and I just couldn't pass up these classics. I built a few towers already myself.
Tags:bleach, cleaning, knex, lincoln logs, toys
Reply Up