Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Clean Up Struggle
Alice Of Legend 06:56 PM 08-12-2013
I have a 22 month old DCG that seems unable to clean up more than one piece at a time without being told to clean up. Like today she played with the blocks and when it was time to clean up I literally had to ask and point to each piece or she just stands there and stares at them or runs off. I've tried clean up songs, making game out of it, etc but nothing. I've been dealing with this for months now and I'm tired of soundling like broken record and asking over and over every time we clean up. My 18, 20 & 25 month olds can do it perfectly fine, even wihout being reminded but this one DCG is really struggling. I know she's very babied at home. Any ideas?
blandino 07:04 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by Alice Of Legend:
I have a 22 month old DCG that seems unable to clean up more than one piece at a time without being told to clean up. Like today she played with the blocks and when it was time to clean up I literally had to ask and point to each piece or she just stands there and stares at them or runs off. I've tried clean up songs, making game out of it, etc but nothing. I've been dealing with this for months now and I'm tired of soundling like broken record and asking over and over every time we clean up. My 18, 20 & 25 month olds can do it perfectly fine, even wihout being reminded but this one DCG is really struggling. I know she's very babied at home. Any ideas?

I would do hand over hand cleaning up. It probably won't be super pleasant at first but it usually gets the point across.

Other things I have tried that work are not letting that child move on to the next activity until she has cleaned up from the last one.
JoseyJo 09:29 PM 08-12-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I would do hand over hand cleaning up. It probably won't be super pleasant at first but it usually gets the point across.
This is what we do- it normally takes a couple of times but when they know you are serious and your words come with actions they still start listening to just the words

Just say "DCG, pick up the blocks", then give her a few seconds and if she doesn't start actively picking them up "assist her" by putting your hands over hers and use her hands to pick up each block and put it away. If she truely doesn't know how to clean she wont mind this at all and it is a good way to teach her what cleaning is. If she is pretending not to understand to get out of cleaning this is normally accompanied by them squealing in displeasure that they actually have to pick up, and me praising them each time we pick up a block about how nicely they are cleaning. When the blocks are picked up lots of praise about how fast that was, and how good she did at cleaning up

We start kids at around 18 months and at least 50% of the time they are used to adults telling them to do things and not enforcing it (or at least not enforcing it the first time, every time).

We had 2 go off to K last week and started a dcb2.75 last week and a dcb 22mo this week. Both of them ignore you when you say their name, and just go about with what they are doing. We are now in the "words come with enforcing" mode w/ both When I say "dcb, use your walking feet" I make sure I am in position to immediately enforce it (ie stop them from running). When I say "dcb do not throw the ball" I make sure I am already in position to catch it before it leaves his hand and take it away. (Did this at Circle Time, boy was he surprised that he didn't get away with throwing it one time before I took it!)
littlemissmuffet 09:40 PM 08-12-2013
All my kids are expected to participate in clean up times, beginning at 12 months. Any one of my kiddos by 15 months could clean the entire playroom (and I mean all the toys are in perfect order in the proper buckets on the proper shelves, etc) by themselves.

I don't have to teach my kiddos to clean - the older kids do, and the older kids correct when something isn't put it it's proper place.

By 15 months children who do not help with clean up time, don't move on to the next activity until they clean up the mess I ask them to. Even if it takes all day.
Alice Of Legend 10:46 PM 08-12-2013
Thanks! I'll have to give the hand over hand a try and assist her in cleaning up a few times and then not let her move on until she has cleaned up. The rest of my kids get it and are great at cleaning up, I only have to ask them once when we're transitioning and most of the time they put things back before moving on to the next toy but this one DCG has been a challenge. For the longest time she would stare blankly at the other kids during clean up but now she'll pick up one item and hold it. Nothing else gets picked up unless I point to the items and ask her to pick up each item, she just sits there (90% of the time) or occasionally runs off to get something else out.

She doesn't really play with any of the toys per say, most of her day is spent going from shelf to shelf throwing/dumping toys and I try to use those as opportunities to work with her but it just doesn't seem to stick. She's very verbal but I really think a big part of it is she has no self help skills because DCPs do everything for her. She won't even get up if she falls over, she lays there with her hand up expecting to be helped up (which I don't do so she'll lay there for up to 15 minutes before she finally gets up).
Play Care 03:57 AM 08-13-2013
At 22 months I find my kids still need a lot of direction as to what to pick up. Most are eager to please and love to help, but get overwhelmed unless I direct it. It's early and I'm only half into my coffee, so I can't pinpoint the age when I start just saying "clean up" and they do - but I'm fairly sure it's 3+ It's one of the reasons I severely limit what I have out when I have younger groups.
littlemissmuffet 07:14 AM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
At 22 months I find my kids still need a lot of direction as to what to pick up. Most are eager to please and love to help, but get overwhelmed unless I direct it. It's early and I'm only half into my coffee, so I can't pinpoint the age when I start just saying "clean up" and they do - but I'm fairly sure it's 3+ It's one of the reasons I severely limit what I have out when I have younger groups.
Seriously? I wonder why this is??? Of all my groups over many years of doing childcare, I rarely have a child over 15-18 months that can't clean the playroom (and perfectly well) on their own...
I expect alot out of my daycare children - at 3+ the kids help me sweep, dust and wipe tables...
Familycare71 07:37 AM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Seriously? I wonder why this is??? Of all my groups over many years of doing childcare, I rarely have a child over 15-18 months that can't clean the playroom (and perfectly well) on their own...
I expect alot out of my daycare children - at 3+ the kids help me sweep, dust and wipe tables...
I start "clean up" as soon as they are able- by 18 months they clean up independently. They don't always put it in the right bin but generally with the littles I say: clean up the little people and they will focus on those so they go into the same bin.
By 2-21/2 they are fully independent in cleaning up
blandino 07:42 AM 08-13-2013
YES !!! The more you expect, the more they rise to meet your expectations.
Play Care 09:58 AM 08-13-2013
Yes, really.

All of my kids are expected to help clean and all do. I've posted before that my kids even help with dc cleaning (sorting play clothes for washing, loading the plastic toys in the dishwasher, wiping tables, etc.)

But at 22 months I am still saying "Put the blocks in the bin" and "the dolls go back in the cradle" Now, I won't do it for them (with the exception of hand over hand for a reluctant child but that is rare) I don't know, perhaps in 10+ years it's just been my groups. Maybe it's something in our water? I don't know..
Familycare71 10:13 AM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Yes, really.

All of my kids are expected to help clean and all do. I've posted before that my kids even help with dc cleaning (sorting play clothes for washing, loading the plastic toys in the dishwasher, wiping tables, etc.)

But at 22 months I am still saying "Put the blocks in the bin" and "the dolls go back in the cradle" Now, I won't do it for them (with the exception of hand over hand for a reluctant child but that is rare) I don't know, perhaps in 10+ years it's just been my groups. Maybe it's something in our water? I don't know..
What got me was they weren't able until 3+.... But now - re reading- I see you hadn't had coffee
Yes- I will agree some kids at 22 months need verbal direction/guidance through clean up
Play Care 10:50 AM 08-13-2013
Ahh, darn coffee! I didn't realize it sounded asif they didn't clean up until 3, they all clean up their own messes and then some!
JoseyJo 11:33 AM 08-13-2013
Us too- keeps them busy and out of trouble and gives them a good self esteem.

I heard a saying one time that goes "An adult needs to be wanted, but a child wants to be needed"

Very few of this generation of kids is "needed"- sure they are wanted, but all that does is make them think the world revolves around them and in the end makes them miserable.

When we NEED them (boy! I sure am glad I had you to help me sweep, we got that job done fast!) it makes them confident, helpful, and better mannered IMHO!!
Tags:cleaning
Reply Up