Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Temperature Do You Send Kids Home?
DaycareMama 09:15 PM 02-01-2012
Just wondering where every one stands. I send home at 101. But I am seriously second guessing that now. Seems kinda high??
Beach Baby 10:48 PM 02-01-2012
I think it's a little high. I think my sons' school is 100.2
bice99 10:51 PM 02-01-2012
Above 100.0
melskids 02:41 AM 02-02-2012
I do 101.0
MommyofThree 03:18 AM 02-02-2012
Speaking of temps, I have a school Ager and his mom called me from school asking if I could pick him up and he had 101 temp are you kidding me! I have infants plus my own children and I don't want my house to come down with what ever he has, I said no and she said wtf I will lose my job and bla bla bla! Are you kidding!how dare she curse at me. So I ask if heis coming in am and she said well of douse my son is not sick she then said I gave him motrine now and I will before bed time and then some in the am so another words she is doping him up instead of taking him to doc!!!! Won't the school still call the mom if he's not home for 24 hours after his temp is gone? And I'm truly srry to vent in you post, hope ur not mad I took it over
AnneCordelia 03:27 AM 02-02-2012
melissaythayer -- our school doesn't send home for kids who were sick, only kids who are actively sick.

My policy simply says "fever". I don't care how high or what causes it. Obviously, if the fever is 100* and the baby is acting fine then I don't call. But a baby who is acting off and has a fever gets to go home.
MommyofThree 03:31 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
melissaythayer -- our school doesn't send home for kids who were sick, only kids who are actively sick.

My policy simply says "fever". I don't care how high or what causes it. Obviously, if the fever is 100* and the baby is acting fine then I don't call. But a baby who is acting off and has a fever gets to go home.
Wow I didn't know some schools won't send children home. Our schools will call if it's over 100/
PitterPatter 04:12 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
Just wondering where every one stands. I send home at 101. But I am seriously second guessing that now. Seems kinda high??
They go at 100 deg. I don't play with fevers. May be nothing but better safe than sorry there are some nasty germs out there.
Cat Herder 04:19 AM 02-02-2012
I send home at 101 SUSTAINED for 45 minutes.

From time to time kids can spike a healthy fever, it means their immune system is working.

If it is still elevated after 45 minutes, they may need more help so are sent home for bed rest and fluids; possibly even a doctors visit depending on coexisting symptoms.

Fever is not an illness. I have to explain that to parents alot. Fever is a good thing.... The scary illnesses are the ones that fever never/barely happens because it overwhelms them.... Cold Sepsis.

Rushing to break a fever (tylenol) before it has a chance to fight illness is not a good thing.
Kaddidle Care 04:40 AM 02-02-2012
High 100's and 101 or above for sure.

I agree with Catherder on fevers. I tend to let my own kids burn a bit up to 101-102 unless there are other symptoms. (headache, sore throat, etc.)

Melissa - are you down as an emergency pick up person for that child? If you are, you should probably add to your contract that you will not pick up children that are sick. (better yet, don't be the emergency pick up person because that's the main reason they send the children home from school.)
Just take it in stride - that mother needs to realize the the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. (Live long and prosper.)
melskids 05:12 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:

From time to time kids can spike a healthy fever, it means their immune system is working.

If it is still elevated after 45 minutes, they may need more help so are sent home for bed rest and fluids; possibly even a doctors visit depending on coexisting symptoms.

Fever is not an illness. I have to explain that to parents alot. Fever is a good thing.... The scary illnesses are the ones that fever never/barely happens because it overwhelms them.... Cold Sepsis.

Rushing to break a fever (tylenol) before it has a chance to fight illness is not a good thing.
that's what I figure...by the time they get a fever, we've all been exposed to the actual illness.
Lianne 05:17 AM 02-02-2012

Good point. I don't have a hard and fast rule. If they're miserable and I'm unable to care for them adequately (extra snuggling, etc) then I send them home. I will medicate at naptime sometimes so they can get a decent sleep and if I had my own kids I'd medicate at bedtime depending on how high the fever is and the other symptoms, again, for a good sleep.
SilverSabre25 06:08 AM 02-02-2012

I like that policy. I too have a hard time explaining to my dcps, and even my DH, that an elevated temperature itself is not the problem. DH tends to get antsy if our kids temps are even slightly warm. He asks, all panicked, "Does she need Motrin?!" My DD had a fever over the weekend in the AM (101.2) so we made his parents (who live 2 hrs away) stay home and not come up here to get professional photos done with the kids, and they have been calling *all week*..."How's DD? Is she still sick with that really high fever?" omg guys, no wonder your kids were so sickly as children...you never gave their immune systems time to FIGHT anything!
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 02-02-2012
I also agree with Catherder. I don't have a set temp that sends a kid home though because each kid is definitely different. I do need to see the fever be for a consistent amount of time though.

My own DD was down and out at 99F while my own DS was running around like a madman at 104F so how fevers affect each individual child is definitely something I take into consideration. I watch behavior and send home when "actively sick" as another member said.
sharlan 07:49 AM 02-02-2012
I call parents at 101, and we take it from there.
Breezy 07:50 AM 02-02-2012
100-100.4 depending on symptoms. I have a Preemie in my care very susceptible to germs!
DaycareMama 08:48 AM 02-02-2012
Thanks for all your input

I think I will be changing my handbook to be a little more vague so I can base it per child and per symptoms like many of you have said.

My own dd has hit 105* MANY times and was running around the er like nothing was wrong It usually jumps that high for her when she gets croup
Springdaze 09:03 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I like that policy. I too have a hard time explaining to my dcps, and even my DH, that an elevated temperature itself is not the problem. DH tends to get antsy if our kids temps are even slightly warm. He asks, all panicked, "Does she need Motrin?!" My DD had a fever over the weekend in the AM (101.2) so we made his parents (who live 2 hrs away) stay home and not come up here to get professional photos done with the kids, and they have been calling *all week*..."How's DD? Is she still sick with that really high fever?" omg guys, no wonder your kids were so sickly as children...you never gave their immune systems time to FIGHT anything!
My husband is the same way. called me crazy because my son said he had a tummy ache but sent him to school anyway! He now tells me "I think Im gonna have a headache tomorrow, I need to stay home!" I went unless there was physical evidence if you know what I mean. I guess I am complaining about the same things the parents do when we call though, huh?
caring4kidsinSD 11:32 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
Wow I didn't know some schools won't send children home. Our schools will call if it's over 100/
I have a 'sick' school ager here on Monday. The school called dad saying daughter was complaining of a stomache ache. Waitied a few hours, and still had a stomache ache (No fever, no vomit) so they called dad again. Who called me. I said as long as she is within my sick policy that's fine to bring her over. But I was stunned the school called to send her home with just a stomache ache.
saved4always 11:33 AM 02-02-2012
My contract says 100 degrees F. And then they have to be no fever without tylenol for 24 hours before coming back.
Mom2Two 06:39 PM 01-30-2017
I don't take temperatures. If a child is warm and oddly lethargic, oddly grumpy, no appetite etc they'd go. Kids can feel off if they're even 99.5. Strep and pneumonia can have very low fevers.
Denali 02:15 PM 02-01-2017
Ok, a little off here, but has anyone else been having an increase of parents that think Tylenol and Motrin CURE a sickness or fever?

My policies say "fever free for 24 hrs without the aid of any medication like Tylenol or Motrin." And I've gotten SO many moms tell me "daycare kid had a fever this morning at 9 that's why we are late, but I gave them (insert drug here) and the fever broke/went away/kids all better, can I bring them to daycare today? No? Oh then we'll see you tomorrow at 7:30am! I'll give them more (insert drug here) tonight to make sure they don't get a NEW fever!" As the carry sick kid back to the car because the kid is to sick and tired to walk...

Or I send home at 3 (after nap when fever spikes...) and kid is laying on the floor crying and parent takes home and texts me around 4 saying "kiddo didn't have a fever when we got home and still doesn't have one, is playing fine! Gave them (insert drug here) because they did say they're tummy hurt... See you in the morning!"

I mean what the actual *bleep*?!
Leigh 04:31 PM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by Denali:
Ok, a little off here, but has anyone else been having an increase of parents that think Tylenol and Motrin CURE a sickness or fever?

My policies say "fever free for 24 hrs without the aid of any medication like Tylenol or Motrin." And I've gotten SO many moms tell me "daycare kid had a fever this morning at 9 that's why we are late, but I gave them (insert drug here) and the fever broke/went away/kids all better, can I bring them to daycare today? No? Oh then we'll see you tomorrow at 7:30am! I'll give them more (insert drug here) tonight to make sure they don't get a NEW fever!" As the carry sick kid back to the car because the kid is to sick and tired to walk...

Or I send home at 3 (after nap when fever spikes...) and kid is laying on the floor crying and parent takes home and texts me around 4 saying "kiddo didn't have a fever when we got home and still doesn't have one, is playing fine! Gave them (insert drug here) because they did say they're tummy hurt... See you in the morning!"

I can not believe the amount of people who believe that OTC fever reducers CURE illness! Not just my daycare parents, but SO many people! Or that their oils or homeopathic remedies will make their child not contagious any longer. You're not the only one who notices this!
Sumshine 04:59 PM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by Denali:

When I send a sick kid home I do a small report similar to an incident report and I put "check with me on X date in regards to your child's readmittance"

This ensures they know that not only are they excluded for 24 hours but by "checking" with me I also may not allow back that day based on symptoms or if fever is still persistent.

2 weeks into opening I had a toddler who had a staph infection and DCM thought he could come back the next day after being diagnosed because he should be okay after 24 hours on antibiotics. Uhm NO! This isn't strep or pink eye this is a STAPH INFECTION. I don't think she understood how serious that can be lol!
Unregistered 05:04 PM 02-01-2017
100 or possibly 100.2
Mom2Two 05:19 PM 02-01-2017
Speaking of essential oils...about twelve years ago, when I was a daycare parent myself, one of the centers DS had been in did something kinda weird. The owner also sold essential oils, and in her newsletter, she was touting the oils. She said that she'd had several children with respiratory illness in the previous weeks and that she'd put some oils in her humidifier or something and that they'd all been cured.

Now, one of those kids was my son, who, as soon as I found out that he had whooping cough (or was it RSV?) I pulled him for a week (I worked from home). He didn't reenter til his symptoms etc were fully gone.

But now, thinking back, I can hardly believe this owner's behavior. I know that she was including my son in her claim of the "several children" who had been cured by her oils.

Anyway...rant over. It wasn't the only slightly unethical thing this lady did.
Tags:fever, fever - policy, immune system, sick policy, temperature
Reply Up