Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Claiming Meals on Taxes

When I do taxes this year I plan on claiming each meal/snack I served. This is usually 2 meals and 2 snacks per day per child. Occasionally it is 3 snacks. (From what I understand Iím allowed to claim a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3 snacks per day per child. Please correct me if Iím wrong)

I have all the records of times children were here per day, and I also have breakfast, lunch, and snacks served that day counted and wrote down.

Now, I am apart of a sponsor for the CACFP and Iím reimbursed 2 meals and 1 snack a day. Am I still allowed to write off those 2 meals and 1 snack a day on my taxes when I file? Or am I going to be only allowed to claim 1-2 snacks per day per child that werenít reimbursed?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:43 PM
Day Care Owner

You claim all the meals you served even if it was just a popsicle. However you also claim the money from the fp as income.

Check out Tom copeland's blog for more details on how this works numbers wise.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Here are more threads on deducting meals: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...uction+-+meals
Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default food deductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by much_lovee View Post
When I do taxes this year I plan on claiming each meal/snack I served. This is usually 2 meals and 2 snacks per day per child. Occasionally it is 3 snacks. (From what I understand Iím allowed to claim a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 3 snacks per day per child. Please correct me if Iím wrong)

I have all the records of times children were here per day, and I also have breakfast, lunch, and snacks served that day counted and wrote down.

Now, I am apart of a sponsor for the CACFP and Iím reimbursed 2 meals and 1 snack a day. Am I still allowed to write off those 2 meals and 1 snack a day on my taxes when I file? Or am I going to be only allowed to claim 1-2 snacks per day per child that werenít reimbursed?
You can always deduct up to one breakfast, one lunch, one supper and three snacks per day per child if you serve that many. This includes reimbursed and non reimbursed meals and snacks.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Daycare.com Member

So if the kids bring their own lunches do we claim those too? I’m not on the food program and I’ve only ever counted breakfast and 2 snacks.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you everyone!
Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default food expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
So if the kids bring their own lunches do we claim those too? Iím not on the food program and Iíve only ever counted breakfast and 2 snacks.
If children bring all the ingredients for a meal or snack, you can't deduct this. But if the children bring a sandwich and you serve milk, that's a lunch you can deduct.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

Ok, so if the kids bring their own lunches and I provide the milk (which Iíve always done) I can claim their lunches? I had no idea!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default deduct meals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Ok, so if the kids bring their own lunches and I provide the milk (which Iíve always done) I can claim their lunches? I had no idea!
Yes, you can.

Tags
deduction - meals, meals cost, tax