Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2019, 11:09 AM
hgufrin's Avatar
hgufrin hgufrin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Default Depreciation Recapture - Unlicensed Daycare

Hi All,

We are running an unlicensed daycare on a regular basis in our home.

We have not applied for, been granted, and are not exempt from having a license as a daycare center. Thus, according to IRS Publication 587, we are not allowed home expense deductions; i.e. DEPRECIATION.

We ARE NOT taking depreciation on our home. We are not taking any home expense deductions.

So, when we decide to sell our house, will the IRS treat us as though we took depreciation? I believe the answer is "NO" because we were not allowed home expense deductions in the first place. Correct?

I can't find this answer anywhere. I don't want to pay taxes on depreciation I never took on an unlicensed daycare.

Can you please help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgufrin View Post
Hi All,

We are running an unlicensed daycare on a regular basis in our home.

We have not applied for, been granted, and are not exempt from having a license as a daycare center. Thus, according to IRS Publication 587, we are not allowed home expense deductions; i.e. DEPRECIATION.

We ARE NOT taking depreciation on our home. We are not taking any home expense deductions.

So, when we decide to sell our house, will the IRS treat us as though we took depreciation? I believe the answer is "NO" because we were not allowed home expense deductions in the first place. Correct?

I can't find this answer anywhere. I don't want to pay taxes on depreciation I never took on an unlicensed daycare.

Can you please help? Thanks!
So you are operating illegally?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2019, 11:35 AM
hgufrin's Avatar
hgufrin hgufrin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Default

my wife watches 2 infants and 1 toddler.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgufrin View Post
my wife watches 2 infants and 1 toddler.
But is she legally required to be licensed?

I am not in Illinois and am unfamiliar with their licensing requirements.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM
hgufrin's Avatar
hgufrin hgufrin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Default

Thanks for the quick response. No, she is not legally required to be licensed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2019, 01:06 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is online now
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,915
Default house depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgufrin View Post
Hi All,

We are running an unlicensed daycare on a regular basis in our home.

We have not applied for, been granted, and are not exempt from having a license as a daycare center. Thus, according to IRS Publication 587, we are not allowed home expense deductions; i.e. DEPRECIATION.

We ARE NOT taking depreciation on our home. We are not taking any home expense deductions.

So, when we decide to sell our house, will the IRS treat us as though we took depreciation? I believe the answer is "NO" because we were not allowed home expense deductions in the first place. Correct?

I can't find this answer anywhere. I don't want to pay taxes on depreciation I never took on an unlicensed daycare.

Can you please help? Thanks!
Since you are not entitled to claim house depreciation because you are in violation of state licensing laws, you will not be taxed on any depreciation when you sell your home.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2019, 01:13 PM
hgufrin's Avatar
hgufrin hgufrin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Default

Mr. Copeland,
Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to clarify. We are not in violation of licensing laws because she only cares for 3 children.

Having said that... your response still applies, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-2019, 03:23 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is online now
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,915
Default house depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgufrin View Post
Mr. Copeland,
Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to clarify. We are not in violation of licensing laws because she only cares for 3 children.

Having said that... your response still applies, correct?
No, what I said doesn't apply. Since you are not in violation of state child care licensing rules, you are exempt from licensing rules. This means you are entitled to claim house depreciation and other house expenses on Form 8829. That means that you will owe tax on the depreciation you claim, or are entitled to claim when you sell your home. Therefore, you want to claim house depreciation! This is a great benefit. You will have to pay tax on this depreciation when you sell your home even if you don't claim the depreciation. So claim it!
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-2019, 05:29 PM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgufrin View Post
my wife watches 2 infants and 1 toddler.
You are what is called, a legally, licensed exempt HOME... different than a daycare center or licensed daycare home. If you took on a 4th child, you would have to be licensed. As Tom said, since you are running legal, take all the deductions allowed
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2019, 05:51 AM
hgufrin's Avatar
hgufrin hgufrin is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Default

I appreciate you all and this forum. It helps tremendously.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
depreciation - home, depreciation recapture, taxes - unlicensed, tom copeland, unlicensed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Licensed DayCare vs. Private DayCare marylmr Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 52 05-12-2019 11:08 AM
No Wonder You Can't Find Daycare... blandino Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 08-27-2013 02:35 PM
The Debate on Legal vs Illegal Daycare Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 06-06-2013 07:34 AM
2 1/2 Year Old Kick Out Of Daycare momagain Parents and Guardians Forum 12 04-29-2013 12:53 PM
Insurance For Legally Unlicensed Home Daycare? Nickel Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 10-04-2012 01:47 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming