Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Emergency Plan Question
SilverSabre25 05:14 AM 06-27-2012
How much of your emergency plans do you share with parents?

For example, if you're like me and you plan out (at least in your head) all the various ways that you would get all the kids out if the fire was blocking X path, do you tell the parents all the details? Or do you just say "we practice fire drills on a regular basis"?

I'm weird and paranoid, hush. At least I can admit it
e.j. 05:36 AM 06-27-2012
My state requires me to have a parent handbook and emergency plans have to be included in it. During interview, I do explain that we have monthly fire drills (also required) but I don't go into details unless the parent has questions about it. They have the info in the handbook if they want to read the specifics.
Lianne 06:04 AM 06-27-2012
I have no regulations other then common sense to follow. I have escape plans out of my house if there's a fire and a meeting place on a neighbour's porch. I'm not in danger of tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, etc
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 06-27-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
My state requires me to have a parent handbook and emergency plans have to be included in it. During interview, I do explain that we have monthly fire drills (also required) but I don't go into details unless the parent has questions about it. They have the info in the handbook if they want to read the specifics.
Same here. My state requires that I have a map of our fire drill routes posted where everyone can see them. I am also required to address the issue in my handbook but I am not required to go into specific detail.

I usually just tell parents we practice the drills monthly and add this type of safety info to our curriculum but don't go into detail about it.

Sadly VERY few of my parents have ever asked about fire drills or severe weather policies.
Kiki 07:29 AM 06-27-2012
I just let them know I do monthly drills, I do both earthquake and fire, if they ask me about my exits/what we would do during an earthquake, I let them know more details.
My husband drew me up a great fire escape plan this weekend that we are going to have copied/laminated and placed in different areas of the house.

We aren't really in danger of anything here but fires and earthquakes. And even an earthquake is pretty rare. It COULD happen though so we practice it so everyone is ready for the just in case. I let parents know that if the power goes out, I follow the same rules as schools, if it is out long enough for school children to go home, it's out long enough for the kids here to be picked up; same with extreme weather like huge snow. That hasn't happened here in years though. Last year we had a huge wind storm that blew through, my house sits right in the middle of the area that was hit the hardest, I had parents pick up on that day just because I had pieces of my fence/trees flying all over my yard (And other debris like trampolines!) and I was scared one was going to plummet through a window and hit one of us.
Reply Up