Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well. At Least I Had A Nice Break...
Kabob 11:18 AM 03-12-2014
I'm full again for now. I'm trying out a new family and I don't want to go over 6 kids with my pregnancy.

For a few weeks though I had a nice break where I had days off during the week and only a couple of kids on the days I did work. It was a nice change of pace.

Now I'm back to the 7am to 5pm M-F schedule and while it does feel good to be back on track (hopefully if this new family works out), I miss the quiet routine I had.

Yesterday the newest dcm picked up 35 minutes late. By the time she got here everyone was super crabby and I was super worried. She apologized and said she forgot I don't care for kids past 5pm. But still. I charged the late fee.

Then today I had to send one of the new dck home for diarrhea. Same new dcm.

I sent her an email with a reminder of my policy and left it at that.

I am happy I learned a lesson from past experience and from this forum. In the past I have doubted myself or caved and then got stressed out and frustrated with my previous families. Now, even when a new family has violated a policy the first week I don't hesitate to say or do something just because it's their first week. I learned that special treatment becomes normal treatment which equals stress.

So thank you guys for that!

It is more work to be the "bad guy" at first but it pays off in the long run...it weeds out the parents that won't change and keeps the ones that care about their kids and daycare. Hopefully this newest family works out...but I have more interviews scheduled just to keep ahead of things this time.
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:

It is more work to be the "bad guy" at first but it pays off in the long run...it weeds out the parents that won't change and keeps the ones that care about their kids and daycare.

Congratulations!!!!! Welcome to the club, we have cookies and time to eat them.
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 03-12-2014
Congrats!!!

It IS more work in the beginning but the rewards are endless....

...the cookies are good too!
Kabob 11:31 AM 03-12-2014
Thanks! For once I don't feel bad about enforcing policies! It's a good feeling.

I hope others can learn from my mistakes and know that it does get better if you stick to your policies even from day 1. (In my case I had to enforce my late policy with 2 new families both on day 2. So far they have been super punctual since then.)

I'm thinking chocolate chip cookies later.
TaylorTots 12:05 PM 03-12-2014
Do I get a cookie too?
Kabob 08:20 AM 03-13-2014
Well new dcm tried to bring dck here this morning saying that he had no diarrhea since I sent him home yesterday. I told her that's great and hopefully it was just a short term thing. However, my policy doesn't allow him back to care until tomorrow for everyone's health and safety. Neither dck nor dcm liked that answer but I didn't feel bad....he was literally pooping constantly yesterday. I didn't even feel bad when he started crying about not getting to stay today. If she didn't want him to cry then he shouldn't have brought him here knowing that I already told her he couldn't return for 24 hrs after symptoms had cleared up. It has not yet been 24 hrs.

Oh well. We'll see...hopefully I made the right decision.
NeedaVaca 08:32 AM 03-13-2014
I thought you said you emailed a copy of the policy yesterday? Why would she bring him? Good for you for sticking to your policies. At this point I would be asking her if she has even read them yet! Doesn't seem like it...
Kabob 08:37 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I thought you said you emailed a copy of the policy yesterday? Why would she bring him? Good for you for sticking to your policies. At this point I would be asking her if she has even read them yet! Doesn't seem like it...
Yep but she still tried to bring him. Doubting my decision to enroll them now...hopefully this is just her testing the waters but I don't like that she tested me to begin with...

Oh and she got a printed copy of my policies too...
Play Care 08:58 AM 03-13-2014
Yep but she still tried to bring him. Doubting my decision to enroll them now...hopefully this is just her testing the waters but I don't like that she tested me to begin with...

Oh and she got a printed copy of my policies too...
But by enforcing your policies from the get go, they will either climb on board quick, or term themselves. No months of drawn out drama with you feeling like a doormat. Either way, you win
NeedaVaca 09:02 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
But by enforcing your policies from the get go, they will either climb on board quick, or term themselves. No months of drawn out drama with you feeling like a doormat. Either way, you win

Kabob 09:14 AM 03-13-2014
True, that is a good way to look at it. In the past I would've been worried about them terming over this but this time I'm strangely calm about the idea. If she terms then it's nothing personal. We just weren't a good fit.

At least the kids are getting on board quick with my rules. It has been a quiet day so far.
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 03-13-2014
This! I will never understand providers who start out the client-provider relationship by waiving policies because a family is new.

Special exceptions made here are done for families who have proven themselves and their ability to follow my policies.

IME, it works better that way. Kind of like earning PTO or vacation time...you don't get that until you have proven you are a valuable employee...kwim?
Kabob 09:27 AM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This! I will never understand providers who start out the client-provider relationship by waiving policies because a family is new.

Special exceptions made here are done for families who have proven themselves and their ability to follow my policies.

IME, it works better that way. Kind of like earning PTO or vacation time...you don't get that until you have proven you are a valuable employee...kwim?
Yeah my dh felt I was harsh charging a late fee but I felt I should stick to my policy to avoid creating a struggle later. Now I just say "remember what happened with the last family I made exceptions for in the beginning?" That shuts him up.

Do you guys typically have a family that seems good in the interview test your policies right away like this? Just curious if I need to work on my interviewing skills too or if it's just a fluke.
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 03-13-2014
Do you guys typically have a family that seems good in the interview test your policies right away like this?
yes. 50% of my clients "tested" my policies within the two week trial period.
Kabob 10:35 AM 03-13-2014
yes. 50% of my clients "tested" my policies within the two week trial period.
Darn. Both of my new families were seriously late their first week. Ah well. We'll see if she wants to do week 2...
Play Care 11:37 AM 03-13-2014

Tags:awesome provider, backbone, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy, late fee, late pick up fee, positive experience
Reply Up