Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Tell Parent About Child And Their Day?
DaycareMom 11:37 AM 01-09-2014
I usually have kids with shoes/coats/etc ready to go when a parent comes to pick up. I will usually just say they had a good day, ate good, slept good, played nicely, and send them off. If they have a really bad day, I will tell parent what they were doing, but I don't really tell them much else.

If DCK did or said something that sticks in my head, I will mention it, but I keep it pretty general, short and sweet.

What do you tell parents about their child and their day?
Do you have daily/weekly sheet?
Do DCPs ask a lot of questions?
melilley 11:43 AM 01-09-2014
I do the same as you. I tell them if they had a good day and usually mention something we or they did.

I used to do a daily sheet, but no one really read it so I stopped.

My parents don't really ask me any questions except for how their day went.

I have one set of dcp's who never ask anything though and when I tell them what their child did, they just look and smile.

I do have one that will ask dcb what he did today or learned because we do do a weekly color, letter and theme. It's positive though, she loves to hear him say what he did (he's 2) and never says anything neg. to me.
TwinKristi 12:05 PM 01-09-2014
Same thing as you. If we do something extra fun I usually send pics to parents via text. I have a daily sheet I use for new infants only, but just to show parents when they ate/pooped/slept and to see for myself if there's a schedule.
Cat Herder 12:22 PM 01-09-2014
1.What do you tell parents about their child and their day?

Benchmarks, progress if working on a goal and when they last ate (if under 12 months).

Everything else is for conferences.

2. Do you have daily/weekly sheet?

I used to put a lot of effort into them, then they started blowing into the street and my lawn.

Once I found about 20 of them shoved between the slats of my deck under my porch, rotting.

The final straw was the fact that nobody ever read them. I would get texts asking about stuff I had already given them in print many times a month. When I would ask them if they read the paper the answer was "I lost it" or "DCK tore it up on the way home"....

3. Do DCPs ask a lot of questions?

I seem to only get two types.

One type who needs to know the color/texture/aroma of the kids poo, if they even so much as whimpered that day and the exact number of ounces consumed down to the 10th.

The second type only wants to know if they required emergency medical attention, the earliest/latest they can attend and if I am open all week.

Type one is generally with their first child, type two is sibling groups.
cheerfuldom 02:29 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
1.What do you tell parents about their child and their day?

Benchmarks, progress if working on a goal and when they last ate (if under 12 months).

Everything else is for conferences.

2. Do you have daily/weekly sheet?

I used to put a lot of effort into them, then they started blowing into the street and my lawn.

Once I found about 20 of them shoved between the slats of my deck under my porch, rotting.

The final straw was the fact that nobody ever read them. I would get texts asking about stuff I had already given them in print many times a month. When I would ask them if they read the paper the answer was "I lost it" or "DCK tore it up on the way home"....

3. Do DCPs ask a lot of questions?

I seem to only get two types.

One type who needs to know the color/texture/aroma of the kids poo, if they even so much as whimpered that day and the exact number of ounces consumed down to the 10th.

The second type only wants to know if they required emergency medical attention, the earliest/latest they can attend and if I am open all week.

Type one is generally with their first child, type two is sibling groups.
I love the types, ha! I don't do daily sheets either, waste of time. I answer questions and try to tell mom and dad a few cute or interesting things per week, maybe send a texted pic or video here and there but otherwise, if they want more info, they need to ask. so much of what we do is the same day after day with my pet peeve being parents who talk about details on diapers ALL the time. its weird to me.
Familycare71 02:53 PM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Same thing as you. If we do something extra fun I usually send pics to parents via text. I have a daily sheet I use for new infants only, but just to show parents when they ate/pooped/slept and to see for myself if there's a schedule.
This
Shell 03:43 PM 01-09-2014
I find that most of my parents are so preoccupied trying to get their kids out of the daycare, that they hardly listen to a thing I say about their day. I try to mention something cute they did, or if they have an accident or something, I make sure to let them know. Otherwise, all the info is on a paper. I have a grid that has spaces for meals, activities, diapers, etc. I give one to each parent daily. I'm not sure anyone really reads them- but I did have one complaint from a parent when I wrote all the info out on a dry erase board to save on paper. Dcm said she puts them in her child's baby book (!), but then she had all sorts of questions that made it obvious to me that she never reads them
frugalmama4 03:46 PM 01-09-2014
I totally need to do better in this area of service...

I be so ready for them to leave...its hi and buy...

I plan to put my best foot forward starting tomorrow!
frugalmama4 03:47 PM 01-09-2014
I totally need to do better in this area of service...

I be so ready for them to leave...its hi and buy...

I plan to put my best foot forward starting tomorrow!

Great post!!
daycare 03:57 PM 01-09-2014
I am similar to you.

Kid ate, slept, played well all day.

i don't really bring up much during drop off or pick up, especially if is not good. I don't want the child to hear it or better yet another parent.

I only bring up things that I feel that would require the parent to take action. Like susie keeps hitting others, please work on this at home as well.
craftymissbeth 04:14 PM 01-09-2014
I also have them totally ready to go but mostly because I don't honestly want to chit chat. I'm just plain old socially awkward with adults and I can't trust the random nonsense that seems to spew out of my mouth. I try to keep it like this "Hi! She had a good day. Bye!" It lasts maybe 30-90 seconds(25-85 seconds too long IMO). I like it
coolconfidentme 04:37 PM 01-09-2014
I tell them if they dodge a bullet with a super pooper. If the DCK was outta character, I tell them that. Most DCPs want to tell me how their day went, lol.
TaylorTots 06:59 PM 01-09-2014
I do daily sheets. My infant sheet is a breakdown by time and amount of diapers/naps/food and formula. My 12m+ sheet is more generic, just says in general how they ate at each meal/snack, their overall mood for the day, the time that they napped and "what we did today".

I have some DCPs that ask a thousand questions and some that don't. For example, I gave out my new handbook today and one parents asked me 50 questions before she even read it while I was trying to get back to the group and the other parent didn't say anything - but called a couple hours later with questions
JLH 02:32 PM 01-10-2014
I do daily reports that include; their mood (happy, grumpy, busy, tired, sick), how much they ate at lunch (little, none, most, all), our weekly preschool theme (this week it's the Three Little Pigs), and I write in about 4 activities that we do in preschool each day (today was reading the book Three Little Pigs, making stick puppets, doing a scavenger hunt for colors indoors, and reviewing the names of shapes on our shape poster). I also have a spot to circle that we do calendar, weather, and sing ABC's every day.
I add any poopy diapers and nap times at the top for the kids under 2 years old and any other pertinent info, like if they need a change of clothes in their cubby.
I verbally tell parents about behavior problems that are bad and if it is really bad I write out a behavior report for parents to sign and I keep a copy in case termination is needed later on down the line. I also have accident reports for any injuries so there is documentation kept in their file.
I know that a lot of the parents don't read the reports but I know that I'm doing my best and it is a great selling point.
BrooklynM 06:11 PM 01-10-2014
I use the Daily/Baby Connect app. They can check it anytime and know what their little one is doing. I don't know what I would do without it. It keeps me on track so I can see exactly when the child has ate, had their diaper changed or checked, how long they've been sleeping, etc. If the child is sick and I call the parent, I document it right into the app. I love love love it and so do the parents!

I use my iphone for it and also my ipad but you can probably download the app on any smartphone I would think. It also works on a computer as well
renodeb 01:18 PM 01-13-2014
I do the same. But I have one mom who texts me once or twice a day to check on the boy. (this is her second baby). She asks a little more specifics than the rest.
BrooklynM 03:14 PM 01-13-2014
What kind of specifics does she want? Did the new baby just start coming? Did you have her first one? Was she the same way? I had a DCP who was like that for her son's first week, but after that, she was fine. Maybe it's just because the baby is new??
BumbleBee 03:19 PM 01-13-2014
My under 3's have a daily sheet.

Over 3 it's just verbal. Good day or not so good, napped or not, ate well or not.
Happily_wed 04:22 PM 01-13-2014
I mostly only tell them about the behavior problems. That is all daycare mom seems to care about. She asks them first thing in the door "were you good?" and they say yes or no. If no I tell her what happened and that is about it. The girls are usually wild once she gets here so our conversation is limited. I keep a book in their bag and every day I write down what we had for breakfast and lunch and what time they took their nap. I also include if I gave meds or anything like that. But I know she rarely looks at it.
Stepping 04:31 PM 01-13-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
I use the Daily/Baby Connect app. They can check it anytime and know what their little one is doing. I don't know what I would do without it. It keeps me on track so I can see exactly when the child has ate, had their diaper changed or checked, how long they've been sleeping, etc. If the child is sick and I call the parent, I document it right into the app. I love love love it and so do the parents!

I use my iphone for it and also my ipad but you can probably download the app on any smartphone I would think. It also works on a computer as well
Same here. I like having a way to keep track of the kids day and I don't have to give a report at the end of the day because parents can check in anytime to see how their kiddo is doing.
Reply Up