Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Help!!
mountainside13 01:02 PM 01-21-2014
Long story short:

Enter all my 2013 items into minute menu this weekend. Printed everything off and gave it to our tax preparer. She complimented me saying how organized I am and how little work she will have to do. Yippie for me! Get a call an hour later and they raised the tax fees from $400 to $600 just to enter it in and file?! Did an hours work to get that much?

2012 taxes we got almost $7,000 back then year $3,000!!! My husband claims zero all year so we can get more back. Our income has stayed the same but added more deductions this year than the last. She said because we claimed items purchased and depreciation. We get less? That doesn't make any sense? Shouldn't we get more back then? Any help is appreciated!!! What is your "normal" refund?
kelsey's kids 01:14 PM 01-21-2014
I am wondering the same thing. We have no dependants and we also have my husband claim zero and last year with start up costs we only got a 400 return and this year it is estimated we will have to pay 2000 anf we only made 35000 combined before deductions
mountainside13 01:38 PM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by kelsey's kids:
I am wondering the same thing. We have no dependants and we also have my husband claim zero and last year with start up costs we only got a 400 return and this year it is estimated we will have to pay 2000 anf we only made 35000 combined before deductions
It is really messed up urg!!

With being a provider is your income counted before or after all of you deductions? For example, I make about $20,000 a year. I can't remember how much I paid but let's say $7,000. Do they count my income still as $20,000 or $13,000?
frugalmama4 08:56 AM 01-22-2014
Hey OP,

You need to NOT file with this tax lady...

I recommend you order Tom's book "2013 Tax Workbook & Organizer" and the 2013 Tax Companion. The first one is if you will do your own taxes the other if you have someone do it for you,

I would also try TurboTax online or cd/download and compare what the Tax Lady did...I have always done my own taxes personal and business. Now the first year I was in business I did have someone else do them but ended up telling her what needed to be done and what I was allowed to claim as business deductions.

Please stop and look over everything for your self...I see so many people/providers get bad Tax information from CPA's/enrolled agents and even lawyers who don't take the time to understand our unique business expenses.

PM me if you have questions or better yet talk to Tom directly.

Good Luck!
Cat Herder 10:10 AM 01-22-2014
Sent you a PM.
frugalmama4 02:59 PM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Sent you a PM.
I didn't get a pm...re-send pls. Thx
mountainside13 09:34 PM 01-22-2014
I'm so afraid to do taxes by myself and mess something up. I do tend to correct the tax lady a few times I searched Toms books this morning but wasn't sure which ones people are talking about. He has a few.

Cat- sent you a pm back!
Michael 09:52 PM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I'm so afraid to do taxes by myself and mess something up. I do tend to correct the tax lady a few times I searched Toms books this morning but wasn't sure which ones people are talking about. He has a few.

Cat- sent you a pm back!
Don't forget to attend our tax webinar with Top Copeland: How to File an Accurate 2013 Tax Return

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68093

You can ask questions and Tom is the best in the business.
mountainside13 07:51 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by Michael:
Don't forget to attend our tax webinar with Top Copeland: How to File an Accurate 2013 Tax Return

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68093

You can ask questions and Tom is the best in the business.
Thank you!! I will read the thread and look at the webinar!!
TomCopeland 08:00 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Long story short:

Enter all my 2013 items into minute menu this weekend. Printed everything off and gave it to our tax preparer. She complimented me saying how organized I am and how little work she will have to do. Yippie for me! Get a call an hour later and they raised the tax fees from $400 to $600 just to enter it in and file?! Did an hours work to get that much?

2012 taxes we got almost $7,000 back then year $3,000!!! My husband claims zero all year so we can get more back. Our income has stayed the same but added more deductions this year than the last. She said because we claimed items purchased and depreciation. We get less? That doesn't make any sense? Shouldn't we get more back then? Any help is appreciated!!! What is your "normal" refund?
I can't say why you got a lower refund without knowing all the facts in your case. It could be that you got a lower Earned Income Tax Credit because you business profit was lower (yes, this sounds illogical, but it could be true). You need to ask questions of your tax preparer and have her show you exactly why your refund is lower.

There is no "normal" refund because everyone's tax situation is very different.
Tags:tax return - in house
Reply Up