Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is The Worst Interview Anyone Has Had
Candy 03:24 PM 01-03-2014
I remember when I was in a gifted class in school there was mother and son looking at our class possibly for him. The little boy was black and I guess his name was one that the teacher never herd before but it was a normal name to me. I swear every time the teacher talked to boy during the interview she said his name wrong and mom kept correcting her. By the time they left the mother was frustrated long story short we never saw the little boy again.
daycare 03:38 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Candy:
I remember when I was in a gifted class in school there was mother and son looking at our class possibly for him. The little boy was black and I guess his name was one that the teacher never herd before but it was a normal name to me. I swear every time the teacher talked to boy during the interview she said his name wrong and mom kept correcting her. By the time they left the mother was frustrated long story short we never saw the little boy again.
I think the worst one to date was one where the mother basically asked me to change just about everything that we did here so that it would better accommodate her child.

I didn't argue with her, I just finally got the clue and said, I am so sorry that you must be under the impression that we are a nanny service or provide one on one care. Unfortunately, we are group care and my polices/schedule is not negotiable. That lasted about 20 min and out she went.
Lucy 03:44 PM 01-03-2014
Early on in my 20-years of DC, I had a mom of a 3 or 4 year old ask me, "So how do you get your breaks? I mean, I know you need a breather here and there, so how do you do it?" My thoughts were that she was an understanding mom who knew that this was a little bit stressful of a job, and she'd be great to work with! So I replied, "Well, nap time I suppose". She pretty much rolled her eyes, sighed, and said, "Ugh..... the MYTH of the nap." and then cut the interview short.

I was baffled. I do NOT insist on naps. It's determined by MY judgment as to whether any particular child benefits from a nap. But by me giving her that answer, she read into it that I was one who forced ALL children to take a nap no matter what. She couldn't have been any more WRONG in her assumption. Why couldn't she have just asked me whether I did indeed insist on naps??? What I really meant in my reply was that I'd have LESS KIDS during nap, and it would be down time.

Guess I dodged a bullet, but it struck me as so odd, and took awhile for me to reason through it. I still remember it YEARS later!!!

As for funnies during interviews, I had a mom of a newborn say, "You don't shake them, do you?" Seriously!!!
crazydaycarelady 03:49 PM 01-03-2014
I had this mom once pull up in front of my house, ran up on the sidewalk, parked crooked. Her two kids (read wild animals) got out barefoot with BLACK feet and then proceeded to go into every room tear up everything in my house and not listen to a word anyone said. My hubby was in the kitchen mouthing "NO" to me. I made up some excuse about I'd have to call the state and see if I could accommodate them and moved them along. Of course I never called her back.
JoseyJo 03:50 PM 01-03-2014
We had a family (a referral even!) who "wasn't comfortable" with outside time unless we were willing to mosquito net our 100ft x 75ft yard They also wanted us to be willing to make and try to serve at least 3 diff meals each mealtime in case dcb didnt like the food, pull up/down 4yos pants, lift onto toilet and wipe. And dont forget to never say the word no!! Then she was shocked when they called to accept the position and I declined.
Leigh 03:52 PM 01-03-2014
I try to prequalify. I send my handbook BEFORE the interview, ask exactly what they are looking for, and why they left their previous daycare (if not a newborn). The worst for me was one that I scheduled at 8:45 PM on a Wednesday evening (I have always done them at 5:45 on Mondays, because it works best for me). I was tired and had done extra cleaning for them to come over. They stayed until TEN THIRTY. Talked about their extended family more than the child. When they left, they told me that they wanted to sign on, and would discuss and get back to me by Saturday. Of course, I never heard from them again.
Annalee 04:00 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think the worst one to date was one where the mother basically asked me to change just about everything that we did here so that it would better accommodate her child.

I didn't argue with her, I just finally got the clue and said, I am so sorry that you must be under the impression that we are a nanny service or provide one on one care. Unfortunately, we are group care and my polices/schedule is not negotiable. That lasted about 20 min and out she went.
Once, I had a parent that was late for the child care interview. She come in, plopped down in the seat and said "OK, what are you going to do if I am late" to which I explained the contract precisely. Needless to say all the talking was worthless. They lasted 5 days...were late every morning and evening and the dad, being a cop, cussed me out and told me they only paid for services rendered and they didn't receive the services they needed...It was sooooo bad I had to call my licensing office in case this turned into a big thing....
Candy 04:04 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
We had a family (a referral even!) who "wasn't comfortable" with outside time unless we were willing to mosquito net our 100ft x 75ft yard They also wanted us to be willing to make and try to serve at least 3 diff meals each mealtime in case dcb didnt like the food, pull up/down 4yos pants, lift onto toilet and wipe. And dont forget to never say the word no!! Then she was shocked when they called to accept the position and I declined.
Don't know what to say about that one sounds like the kids run the house and parents are over protective
Meeko 04:41 PM 01-03-2014
One mother looked at my husband and son and told them it was "creepy" that they worked with daycare.

I showed her the door and made it obvious I was ticked.

Crazy part was when she called a few days later begging us to take her kids!

NOPE!
Candy 05:05 PM 01-03-2014
I wonder do some people think before they speak or do they just not care anymore
sharlan 05:17 PM 01-03-2014
I think the craziest one I had was the mother who didn't have a car so she needed me to pick up the child from home about 3 miles from my house, take the long way back to my house so I could drop her off at the bus stop. Then of course, I would have to reverse the procedure at night. The real kicker was that she told me that if she missed the bus 35 miles away, I would have to pick her up from work.

She also said that I would need to drive her about 45 miles away so that she could sign up for CalWorks.

Never once asked, just kept telling me what "I" needed to do for her.

After the 4th or 5th call I asked her not to call anymore. Somebody working at a nursing home 35 miles away, making minimum wage does not have the income to pay for those services.
Annalee 05:18 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
One mother looked at my husband and son and told them it was "creepy" that they worked with daycare.

I showed her the door and made it obvious I was ticked.

Crazy part was when she called a few days later begging us to take her kids!

NOPE!
This has happened to me as well...I think when the parents get "booted" they really begin to think about it and they realize family child care has many positives......one being the importance of FAMILY and the unique environment that comes with it!
Unregistered 05:27 PM 01-03-2014
OMG that's weird about the husbands.

One of my ex-interviewees said "Your husband isnt' here during the day right?" I said "Well on his days off he'll be here" She asked me if there was anything else he could do while her child was here. I mean SERIOUSLY!??!! It's HIS FREAKING HOUSE!

Another ex-interviewee told me she worked with the government and that she didn't make anything (now, I actually once applied for that job she had at the water company and they made pretty decent money!) and wanted me to keep THREE kids FULL time, 2 of whom were not potty trained for $75/week! When I said I couldn't do that, she bargained $125 and I said "No" , then said "OK FINE, $325/week) I said I don't do negotiations and told her I could tell it wasn't going to work out. I mean seriously!

Another one said my dog "intimidated" her because the dog looked at her "funny"

And another said that she was not religious and didn't want her child in any daycare where the provider or other PARENTS were religious, even though we did not teach a religious curriculum. I said "Bye" right then. I'm not about to tell my other parents what religion they can practice.

And my friend DCProvider had a interviewee explain that she was Jewish and not to feed the kids pork. OK, Fine. No problem. The kicker was when the interviewee told this TEXAS born RANCH woman that she didn't even want pork products in her HOUSE! She told them she was sorry, but she WOULD NOT stop eating how SHE ate, and it was one thing to not feed it to her daycare child, but no way was any parent telling her what she could have inside the house.
daycare 05:31 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
This has happened to me as well...I think when the parents get "booted" they really begin to think about it and they realize family child care has many positives......one being the importance of FAMILY and the unique environment that comes with it!
my oldest is about 6 ft 2 and very very dark skin. He was out front of the house working on a science project.

I have a dcm interviewing with me this night. she is in my house for about 5 min and she says, " I don't know if you are aware but there is a huge back guy in your drive way, just wanted to let you know so that you can keep an eye on him". She almost died when I told her that it was my son. the conversation was so awkward after that that it ended shortly.
Kabob 05:42 PM 01-03-2014
my oldest is about 6 ft 2 and very very dark skin. He was out front of the house working on a science project.

I have a dcm interviewing with me this night. she is in my house for about 5 min and she says, " I don't know if you are aware but there is a huge back guy in your drive way, just wanted to let you know so that you can keep an eye on him". She almost died when I told her that it was my son. the conversation was so awkward after that that it ended shortly.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Seriously...wow.
coolconfidentme 05:55 PM 01-03-2014

Oh my fluffing gosh!
Candy 06:01 PM 01-03-2014

Why would you just have a random black guy in front of your house doing science i'm assuming after you told her she just said OH!
daycare 06:04 PM 01-03-2014
yeah I had forgotten about that until this thread came up. I have had the normal oh there are men here during the day, but I have not had that in sometime. I told my son and he said gee you would think I was out front making a machine gun or bomb or something.
daycare 06:07 PM 01-03-2014
Why would you just have a random black guy in front of your house doing science i'm assuming after you told her she just said OH!
I dont recall exactly what she said, but there was a long awkward silence after she said it.

I think what was worse, was that I live in a small town and I often see her at the gym. Obviously, we don't say anything to each other. I just walk with my head down and don't look in her direction. that's super awkward.
Bookworm 07:07 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
There was a parent in my center that requested mosquito nets for DCB (2yo) because he's never been outside according to them. Jokingly, when asked how does he go from house to car they said through the garage. When asked what about going on errands with them they said one of them has to stay home. When asked about coming into the center, they said he will be covered with a blanket. They didn't work out.
MarinaVanessa 07:20 PM 01-03-2014
I had one that wanted me not to use or allow the word "no". As in the other parents and other children couldn't say or use the word no.

I told her NO

Once I had an interview where a DCM asked typical questions and it seemed like everything went well so I gave her my parent packet, handbook and contract to look over. She called and scheduled another appointment to return everything and handed me a contract and handbook with red pen scrawled all over and crossed out entire sections/lines and wrote her own "policies" in the margins . I laughed.
Scout 07:41 PM 01-03-2014
Mom of a 10 mo old calls me after emailing back and forth through Craigslist. We set up a meeting for 4 pm that day. I was elated because I needed to enroll a child badly! I cleaned all day preparing and turning my family room into a play room. She was late and then called to see if they could just pop by in the morning before she goes to work....AND COULD SHE LEAVE HIM WITH ME IF SHE LIKES ME! I said she could but, asked if she was sure she would be comfortable leaving her baby with someone she barely knew. She said, "well, I would come by 30 minutes before leaving!" I was miffed but, said I would be happy to take him. Never showed.

Oh, I just remembered she had told me she was a single mom and then in another conversation mentioned her husband and when I questioned her she said she was sorry and she is getting a divorce...Should have seen the no show coming a mile away after that one! Dodged a bullet there.
Childminder 07:59 PM 01-03-2014
Not really an interview but a gal knocked on my door once and asked if I had openings for three. As it happened I did. She said: Great! I'm late for work let me go get my kids out of the car!". Mmmm...no.
Kabob 09:19 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I had one that wanted me not to use or allow the word "no". As in the other parents and other children couldn't say or use the word no.

I told her NO

Once I had an interview where a DCM asked typical questions and it seemed like everything went well so I gave her my parent packet, handbook and contract to look over. She called and scheduled another appointment to return everything and handed me a contract and handbook with red pen scrawled all over and crossed out entire sections/lines and wrote her own "policies" in the margins . I laughed.
I wanna know what she wrote. I mean there was a thread about what kind of policies we would have if we could do anything...I have to wonder what kind of policies a parent would write for us if they could make their daycare's policies.
lovepink 09:23 PM 01-03-2014
OMG! here goes. Pervious clients call me back. The children were with me 2 weeks in the past. I tell mom the rate for both kids and registration. So she picks up paperwork 3 days prior we schedule an interview. She has no paperwork filled out ( its Sunday) she wants kids to start on Monday. She says "well I don't get paid until Tuesday can I pay you then?"

I say no we except payments prior to service and you still owe a balance from before. I take cash , money order and credit cards , how would you like to pay? she and her husband goes on and on about their car was towed and this and that. My response I understand and am truly sorry that happened but this is still due before We can move forward.

How does one owe $ and still come back and have no$$$ at least if she had the 2 weeks and registration I would have worked with her to pay the rest.....
MissAnn 09:25 PM 01-03-2014
Probably the time a mom revealed her husbands sperm count while he was standing there.
Mister Sir Husband 10:09 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Probably the time a mom revealed her husbands sperm count while he was standing there.
Hopefully it was a really high number so at least he could stand there perhaps somewhat proud of himself instead of a low number causing him to hang his head in shame while weeping quietly to himself..
MarinaVanessa 10:33 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
I wanna know what she wrote. I mean there was a thread about what kind of policies we would have if we could do anything...I have to wonder what kind of policies a parent would write for us if they could make their daycare's policies.
In retrospect I wish I would've kept the packet instead of throwing it out. It just had stuff removed like certain hoidays that I take paid were crossed out, she changed the day that payments are due, she took out the part where I said that there are no grace periods for late pick ups and gave herself a 15 minute grace period, crossed out the part that said late arrivals do not allow for late pickups, also the part about how absenses can't be made up on another day, crossed out the part that said that children that are to participate in meals need to arrive on or before the scheduled time and later arrivals won't be able to participate etc. Stuff like that.

Stuff she wrote in were things like on my daily schedule, she wrote in what she wanted her child's schedule to be, I gave an example I think on what I serve on a typical day and she crossed out 1% milk for her 2 yo and wrote in whole milk and said something about wanting to avoid her child being on the failure to thrive list, not wanting me to give too much sugary foods (one example was that I served graham crackers as snack and she asked that any sugar be scraped off) but then crossed out the part that said that I don't serve juice at all and she wrote in that her child be given Capri suns juices because they were his favorite, she also crossed out the part that said that i transport and she wrote that her child was not to taken anywhere in a car but i had clients that I picked up from school and I told her so before the interview ... weird things like that.

I did end up giving her a new packet and went over with it with her and made it clear that this was my business and that I wouldn't be making any changes for any individual client. She did sign it but it didn't last very long, she was testy but not too bad and ultimately she was laid off and said she would use me as drop in care when she looked for work and had interviews. I was always "full" when she called.
Josiegirl 04:05 AM 01-04-2014
Wow it does take all kinds doesn't it??
I've got nothing to compare to any of these, especially the sperm count one or redoing your entire handbook of policies.

I did have one woman call me about 8:30 at night to ask about openings, then she talked until well after 9, all about her ds's condition that was being diagnosed. Could be leukemia, could be caused by their water((???)) all while her ds was taking a bath. He was only 3. So we scheduled an appt., she was a no-show. When she called to reschedule(oops I forgot sorry) I told her that I was sorry, I didn't think I'd be able to meet her needs. So then she proceeded to keep me on the phone another 20 minutes telling me why she agreed I was probably right.
melskids 05:17 AM 01-04-2014
I had a mother tell me that her 3 year old daughters favorite thing to do was play with her horses testicles.

Never mind how gross that is, but the safety issue of a small child standing behind a large animal like that is scary.
SquirrellyMama 05:48 AM 01-04-2014
My worst interview was because of my cat I told the family I had a cat before they came just in case there were allergies. The mom was obviously weirded out by my cat from the beginning. Her kids were petting the cat and she kept trying to get them away from him.

We went to the basement to check things out and the cat followed. He went into the laundry room and started sharpening his claws on a corner beam. Well, it sounded like some huge rodent in there. I told them what it was and that we didn't have rats.

As we are walking up the stairs my giant cat sits on the stairs in front of us and won't move. He starts hacking up a hairball on the stairs in front of us. They were disgusted, and I was trying not to laugh.

They didn't call back, and I was fine with that.

I also still allow the cats out during interviews.

Kelly
SquirrellyMama 05:50 AM 01-04-2014
Originally Posted by melskids:
I had a mother tell me that her 3 year old daughters favorite thing to do was play with her horses testicles.

Never mind how gross that is, but the safety issue of a small child standing behind a large animal like that is scary.

GKJNIGMN 05:50 AM 01-04-2014
I had one that not only offered to pay me in food but also told me she had to move to the city I am in because her child's father murdered someone. I hadn't asked why she moved here lol I took that one though and she ended up being awesome.
Happily_wed 07:10 AM 01-04-2014
I think the worst interview I ever had was one I didn't have! A dcm came in talking about how I was going to be keeping her nephew from now on, etc. I asked what she meant and she told me how her sister in law had told her she had called me the night before to discuss her son coming to me, she really liked me,etc. I told dcm I had no idea who her sister in law had talked to but she had NOT called me! I never did find out who the woman had called but it kind of freaked me out to think she has spoken to a stranger and was ready to leave her kid there!
melilley 07:26 AM 01-04-2014
I haven't had a terrible in person interview, but I have had a weird phone interview.

A woman called looking for care for her 1 yo ds. She asked a few questions and told me she was going to move here for school and would need care when she did. She then went on about how her ds doesn't listen, but that her and her family were working on it and that she was young and that I could help her teach him to listen. Then I told her I have a dog and she said she was allergic to dogs, but wasn't sure if her son was, but she guesses she would see when he came.

At the end she told me she was going to bring him here when she moved here. I explained to her that I didn't have an opening for that age, but when she moved here she could give me a call to see if I have an opening. She said "no, I'm going to bring him to your house when I move there"!

It was strange. She never called back or showed up, but sometimes I wonder from seeing on here how some people have just showed up. My address is on the state's website after all...
mountainside13 08:11 AM 01-04-2014
My worst interview was as a parent. When my daughter was 9 months old we were looking for a new provider. She scheduled our interview during her daughters 1 year old birthday party with all her friends and family. It was very uncomfortable and awkward! The provider and her mother were "amazed" by how large my daughter was and they were comparing how large she was to her 1 year old that was really tiny. After we left I emailed her and said we would not be attending. I became a provider and ran into her at a training class 3 years ago. She asked how she was and wanted to see a picture. She said she looks more like my daughter now!

All my interviews as a provider have yet to top that.
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 01-04-2014
I haven't really had any bad interviews....I've had some strange ones but a lot of them have turned out to be great families so...

I had a mom call once and ask to bring her child the next morning. She didn't ask a single question other than what time she could drop him off.

She ended up being a family that stayed with me for almost 15 years and 3 other children. Of course, I didn't take her kid right away the next morning...I made her take the day off, do an interview and come the next day with all the necessary requirements.

I've also had random people just stop by and ask if I'm a daycare. I've enrolled a few so it's not always a red flag IMHO.

The worst daycare experience I've ever had (other than my mentally ill DCM~loooong, heartbreaking story that involves police calls, fist fights in the yard, restraining orders etc....)

...but the worst experience I've had with a DCF was a mom who signed up for summer care for her 5 yr old. Did all the paperwork, paid etc and showed up her first day to leave child.

The DCG was ok for about an hour and then we went outside to play in the splash pool. The kids were all sort of squatting around the pool with their hands in the water splashing and laughing when all of a sudden DCG puts her hands on a 3 yr old girl and shoves her head into the water and holds it there!!!!

I freaked! I called the girls mom IMMEDIATELY for pick up AND termination.

Mom told me at pick up that I was the girls 5th daycare and that she (DCG) had violent and aggressive tendancies toward other kids but she didn't tell me because she said if she did, she knew I wouldn't enroll her daughter. SHe was right.

That was early on in my career. I've learned now to interview VERY well now so that this kind of thing NEVER happens again.
TwinKristi 01:53 PM 01-04-2014
I would say that one of my weirdest was a mom who turned out to be an okay client. She paid on time, picked up on time, but was kinda passive aggressive and would bring her child sick all.the.time. He just left when break started so it's still kinda fresh. Anyway, she showed up on a Sunday to interview. Stayed about 15 mins chit-chatting. She called me that night and said she wanted to start that week instead of the next. She never called any of my references or anything. 20 Mins was enough and she started 48hrs later! The next interview I had was similar but she had a cousin who's known me for a few years from LL baseball. She came one day, brought him the next week. No reference check or anything. Another mom came once, had a zillion questions, had to come back with her dh and had literally interviewed every provider in town and chose me but again never called my references?? How can people decide on care without even calling the people I list? My friend said she doesn't bother because she knows they'll all say good things or we wouldn't provide them so why bother? One or my old DCPs accidentally gave someone my info and knows I wouldn't have a good thing to say and asked that I just ignore their call. Haha! They never called and it happened to be someone who interviewed me as well but she didn't know that.
MotherNature 02:28 PM 01-04-2014

What the what?
Kabob 05:05 PM 01-04-2014
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
In retrospect I wish I would've kept the packet instead of throwing it out. It just had stuff removed like certain hoidays that I take paid were crossed out, she changed the day that payments are due, she took out the part where I said that there are no grace periods for late pick ups and gave herself a 15 minute grace period, crossed out the part that said late arrivals do not allow for late pickups, also the part about how absenses can't be made up on another day, crossed out the part that said that children that are to participate in meals need to arrive on or before the scheduled time and later arrivals won't be able to participate etc. Stuff like that.

Stuff she wrote in were things like on my daily schedule, she wrote in what she wanted her child's schedule to be, I gave an example I think on what I serve on a typical day and she crossed out 1% milk for her 2 yo and wrote in whole milk and said something about wanting to avoid her child being on the failure to thrive list, not wanting me to give too much sugary foods (one example was that I served graham crackers as snack and she asked that any sugar be scraped off) but then crossed out the part that said that I don't serve juice at all and she wrote in that her child be given Capri suns juices because they were his favorite, she also crossed out the part that said that i transport and she wrote that her child was not to taken anywhere in a car but i had clients that I picked up from school and I told her so before the interview ... weird things like that.

I did end up giving her a new packet and went over with it with her and made it clear that this was my business and that I wouldn't be making any changes for any individual client. She did sign it but it didn't last very long, she was testy but not too bad and ultimately she was laid off and said she would use me as drop in care when she looked for work and had interviews. I was always "full" when she called.
I figured she would write something like that...sounds like a parent's dream. I get it but it's a handbook not a request book. Oh well.
Candy 03:47 PM 01-05-2014
I guess without crazy people we would have no entertainment
Angelsj 03:58 PM 01-05-2014

There has to be a safety/neglect/abuse issue there somewhere...for the kid, or maybe the horse.
Hunni Bee 04:22 PM 01-05-2014
I have to say mine was the creeper dad.

A couple years ago at my old center, a man called to look for care for his four year old son. I told him about my preschool program. He seemed to like everything I said, and we set up an interview for 1 pm the next day. I was kinda weirded out because he kept calling me "boo" and "baby", but I brushed it off.

The next morning, he calls at 10, asking if I was there and saying I'd told him to come at 10. I felt even more weird, I know I told him 1 because I always scheduled interviews and tours at nap time. My coworker took his interview because even she felt the weird vibe from him over the phone. He showed up at 11. He became uninterested after he realized he wouldn't be talking to me, and only stayed about ten minutes. He did, however, leave his son for about three hours. At one point, I looked up to find him standing in the doorway of my classroom, staring at me. In the semi-darkness. I quickly got his kid together and tried to send him on his way, all the while with him continuing with "boo" and "baby".

We never heard from them again, but we had agreed not to take them on if we did.
crazydaycarelady 05:25 PM 01-05-2014
I don't know if it is just our part of the country but we commonly say "Yeah" for yes. Well, I had one dcd request that I only say "yes" to his child. I told him "Yeah!" LOL
Starburst 07:11 PM 01-05-2014

IDK weather to laugh or to cry... it's odd and can come off as funny to some people (maybe the mom thought this was funny and didn't see anything wrong with it for some reason); but at the same time it sexually abusive to the horse (and even to the child) and inappropriate behavior for a 3 year old, honestly if a parent told me that I would be afraid of letting her near any DCBs. I know she's probably just curious but still... I feel bad for the horse.... and the little girl when one day she realizes what she was doing to the horse and may feel guilty or even ashamed about it.
Starburst 07:26 PM 01-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Mom told me at pick up that I was the girls 5th daycare and that she (DCG) had violent and aggressive tendancies toward other kids but she didn't tell me because she said if she did, she knew I wouldn't enroll her daughter. SHe was right.

That was early on in my career. I've learned now to interview VERY well now so that this kind of thing NEVER happens again.
If she would have said something before hand at least you would have had a heads up and known to shadow her more closely to avoid that type of situation and possibly tried to help work on daycare girl's behavior (maybe she purposely tried to get kicked out of daycares so she can stay home with mom). But since she lied (by omission) I would have termed her on the spot too.
Play Care 02:49 AM 01-06-2014
I haven't had to interview in a while, but when I was starting out I had a woman tell me that my contract bothered her and she was going to change the terms to suit her needs. I was so intimidated that I wound up accepting her downpayment even though I had serious misgivings. After a couple of days of me hemming and hawing I called her and cancelled and sent her deposit back. I saw her a few years later at the store and she gave me a dirty look - WORTH IT!!!!
Kimskiddos 07:57 AM 01-06-2014
I've also had an interviewing/enrolling client go through my contract and handbook and make changes! When she showed up with it like that I was shocked and angry. Told her that wasn't going to work, she may not make changes to MY contract. Then asked her if she would like another copy of my contract to sign as is. She apologized, signed my contract and I had that family for 6 years. Good thing I liked her initially or she would have likely not got another chance.
SilverSabre25 08:16 AM 01-06-2014
One of the weirdest was the lady who quizzed me on how to perform CPR.

Another weird one was a recent phone call from a guy who found me on YellowPages.com and was asking allll kinds of questions, and came to "and of course you're certified and stuff, right?" Well, no....I'm not....we don't have to be in my state. He was astonished. "So you like....just decided to just...take care of kids? I thought since you were in the Yellow Pages you would be all certified and legal and stuff." I tried to explain but he was stuck on "If I'm in the Yellow Pages I should be certified." I wasn't going to take him anyway, but it was still weird.
melskids 09:24 AM 01-06-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:
IDK weather to laugh or to cry... it's odd and can come off as funny to some people (maybe the mom thought this was funny and didn't see anything wrong with it for some reason); but at the same time it sexually abusive to the horse (and even to the child) and inappropriate behavior for a 3 year old, honestly if a parent told me that I would be afraid of letting her near any DCBs. I know she's probably just curious but still... I feel bad for the horse.... and the little girl when one day she realizes what she was doing to the horse and may feel guilty or even ashamed about it.
I actually turned it in. I don't know what ever came of it though.
Leanna 11:06 AM 01-06-2014
I don't really have a "worst" interview...but a weird one.

A DCM had called and said she had 2 children, ages 2 and 4, and was looking to switch them to a new day care as she wasn't 100% happy with where they were. She sounded nice and down to Earth & we scheduled a time to meet.

Well, she came in and sat right down and I introduced myself and started my little spiel about our daily routine. This mom stared at me with her huge doe eyes and blink blink blink....said nothing.

Okaaayy, I thought. So I continued on about a few important policies (pick-up time, no outside food/toys, fees, etc.)...and blink blink blink...nothing.

I asked her if she had a any questions...blink blink blink. Arrrrrggghhh...alright. "Most people ask about....." I said and talked about some common questions.

Tell me about your little ones...blink blink blink. Ok! Well, just let me know then. Bye! Never heard from her again.

I never could figure that one out. She was not a brand new mom or brand new to daycare. She spoke clearly on the phone so I assumed she could hear me and understood me. ???? Who knows?
Cat Herder 11:08 AM 01-06-2014
Single Dad. Stayed 2 hours, said I was too expensive, then asked me out.

I showed him out, instead..... still think he was trying to find a fast route to FREE childcare.
renodeb 11:01 AM 01-07-2014
I had an interview a ways back for a drop in. Mom and child walked in, I said hi to the child and all he did was cry at the top of his lungs the whole time. Needless to say out they went and never heard from again.
Candy 03:22 PM 01-08-2014

Ok I'm not sure if that lady was joking but I have a horse, they usually don't like stuff behind them so I'm wondering how this was happening. Also I would have been on the fence as to if I would need to call cps or not. What would playing with horse testicles fall under?
tehck_1013 10:35 PM 06-13-2014

MY MOUTH WAS OPEN SO LONG AND WIDE I DROOLED.
HOW IS THAT OK????
omg.

How disgusting. Why on earth would any parent think that is acceptable behavior, condone it, let alone speak of it to others???
Michael 02:46 AM 06-14-2014
We have a tag with more stories called: Interviews - From Hell: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ew+-+from+hell
NightOwl 09:31 AM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

I told her NO

Doh!! HAHAHA!!
NightOwl 09:55 AM 06-14-2014
I had one mom and ds to interview. The mom was white, the ds interracial. Her first question was if i had a problem with him being interracial. Say wha....? Of course not! He's a little boy, no matter what color his skin is! She called a couple of weeks later to accept the position, but it had already filled. So I recommended a friend who owns a nearby center. I spoke to my friend a few weeks later and she said the mom's first question was if she had a problem with him being interracial. Geez lady, this isn't the 1950s!! I got the definite vibe that she was looking for a reason to call someone racist.
Go play! 03:03 PM 06-14-2014
My favorite one was the family that after we explained that my husband's job required a gun so when he is here there is one in the house and explained our safety plan for it said "Oh he's really safe around guns, we take him shooting all the time. You could leave it on the counter and he would never touch it" The child was 2 1/2. He also brought a play gun to the interview. I was afraid that he would show up at some point with a real one. We chose a different family.
permanentvacation 06:15 PM 06-14-2014
Years ago, when I was pregnant (big 'ole belly, obviously pregnant) with my younger daughter, I had an interview with a young school age boy. The mom and I sat on the sofa, the dad stood by the tv, and the boy interacted with the other daycare kids. I couldn't say 3 words to the mother without having to look at the boy and say ' oh no hun, you can't take his toy from him, that's his toy, you can get a toy from the toy box" or " Oh my! We don't hit here. You can't hit her. " etc. This little boy was the meanest thing in the world! And his parents never said a word to him. Then he walked over to me, looked at me for a good few seconds, and then straight out PUNCHED ME in the stomach!!! I told him "OUCH! That hurt! You don't hit me! I have a baby in my belly and you just hit the baby when you hit me!" Then I sat there for a good minute or more not saying a word, WAITING for the parents to apologize to me for their kid hitting me and waiting for them to reprimand their kid for hitting a pregnant woman. But they just sat there, didn't say a word! So I finally looked at the father, and said, "I'm going to need you to get your son and get out of my house!" Then I looked at the mother and told her that I could not believe that her son had been hitting all the kids, taking toys from everyone, and then actually hit me and neither of them (the parents) had said a word to him! I told her to get out of my house, do not ever call me again I will never watch your child, and I do not know anyone who ever would! They all left and I never heard from any of them again.
Mister Sir Husband 08:13 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Years ago, when I was pregnant (big 'ole belly, obviously pregnant) with my younger daughter, I had an interview with a young school age boy. The mom and I sat on the sofa, the dad stood by the tv, and the boy interacted with the other daycare kids. I couldn't say 3 words to the mother without having to look at the boy and say ' oh no hun, you can't take his toy from him, that's his toy, you can get a toy from the toy box" or " Oh my! We don't hit here. You can't hit her. " etc. This little boy was the meanest thing in the world! And his parents never said a word to him. Then he walked over to me, looked at me for a good few seconds, and then straight out PUNCHED ME in the stomach!!! I told him "OUCH! That hurt! You don't hit me! I have a baby in my belly and you just hit the baby when you hit me!" Then I sat there for a good minute or more not saying a word, WAITING for the parents to apologize to me for their kid hitting me and waiting for them to reprimand their kid for hitting a pregnant woman. But they just sat there, didn't say a word! So I finally looked at the father, and said, "I'm going to need you to get your son and get out of my house!" Then I looked at the mother and told her that I could not believe that her son had been hitting all the kids, taking toys from everyone, and then actually hit me and neither of them (the parents) had said a word to him! I told her to get out of my house, do not ever call me again I will never watch your child, and I do not know anyone who ever would! They all left and I never heard from any of them again.
As I'm reading this I was asking myself.. "why dont you just throw them out"? 😱 Then you did. Made me smile... 😌
KidGrind 06:27 AM 06-15-2014
I guess without crazy people we would have no entertainment
Actual crazy people are not entertainment. They can be terrors.

Now illogical, spoiled, inconsiderate, champagne tastes on beer budget is entertainment central.
Kimskiddos 09:05 AM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by MV:

Yes, I had one that did this too! I laughed and told her she didn't get to change my contract. Then told her I'd get her a new/unedited contract to sign. She ended up being a pretty good dcm.
Hunni Bee 06:31 PM 06-16-2014
Omg!!! I kinda glossed over the first few sentences and as i was reading I figured this child must have been 2, maybe a young 3. When I reread and saw that he was SCHOOL AGE my eyes literally bugged out. Sounds like a young man with a bright future Did the parents ever say anything?
momofboys 06:36 PM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Omg!!! I kinda glossed over the first few sentences and as i was reading I figured this child must have been 2, maybe a young 3. When I reread and saw that he was SCHOOL AGE my eyes literally bugged out. Sounds like a young man with a bright future Did the parents ever say anything?
I missed where the boy was SA also. Wow! I know you asked them to leave b/c of his behavior but did the parents ever apologize or act embarrassed?
nannyde 07:25 PM 06-16-2014
Holy buckets!

That's unreal.

Omg
Unregistered 08:04 PM 06-16-2014
I had an interview with a couple down the street for their then 2 year old son. After weeks of rescheduling we finally met up. Very nice husband and wife couple with a cute kid. So anyways during the interview I notice the dad giving me looks! I ignore it an continue talking.. then I notice he starts flexing his arms like he's stretching lol. so once he finally makes eye contact long enough he makes his pecks jump! I felt sooooo awkward! So after the interview the mom said we'll think about it and give you a call. And the husband says OH NO I want him to come here! He'll start in two weeks. they leave and i call one of my daycare friends to laugh about it. And she says (jokingly) oh i would have charged them more once i saw that the husband was " thirsty". In the end they started and are still enrolled the kid is now 6 and comes after school. We became great friends, but my husband and I laugh about it sometimes. Mostly because we think they're swingers LOL!!

p.s. ( the husbnd has never made any advances since lol)
permanentvacation 04:55 AM 06-17-2014
Hunni Bee,

Nope, the parents never said a word about his behavior. After I told them to leave, they just got up and left. Never apologized, never asked if anyone was alright (including me, the pregnant lady he hit!) never reprimanded the child, nothing.
SunshineMama 09:32 AM 06-17-2014
I had a lady who wanted me to watch her 3 kids from 6-6. She wanted a discount, but needed me to help her out and be flexible be she can't pay sometimes. And her kids like to destroy property and her 5 year old would smear his poop on the bathroom walls when he gets mad.

Um.yeah. no...

True story. I told her ASAP it wasn't going to work. I appreciated the full disclosure, but couldn't get her out of my house fast enough.
Meeko 01:01 PM 06-17-2014
I once had a DCM come for interview that had just had her first child. She asked all kinds of weird questions and seemed very concerned with whether or not I knew how to make formula....

I told her I had been a daycare provider for over 20 years at the time and was the mother of four.

She ignored my comment and told me she wanted to watch me make a bottle of formula to "show her" I could do it I showed her the door instead!

Then, to my amazement, she called about three days later and told me "My husband and I have decided to employ you".
Not "Do you have any openings left", or "we would like to have our baby come to your daycare".

I told her that I was self-employed and that I filled the spot. She actually seemed shocked that I wasn't gratefully grovelling and thanking her for "employing" me!!! She asked why I was turning her down. So I told her she condescending and rude during the interview. She couldn't see it.

I found out later that she signed up at a local center. They showed her the door in about a week because of her high and mighty behavior!
Unregistered 01:22 PM 06-17-2014
I had an interview recently with a young mom. She lived really close by, and walked over in this tiny tank top ( she was a larger person). Anyway, as she said hello and introduced herself, I noticed her shirt was so low in the front that her actual nipple was hanging out! I guess she didn't think about making a professional impression! Dcg was very cute, but didn't listen. Dcm had to pry her off of my safety gate, as she was trying to climb over it and up the stairs. The. Dcm was biting her nails the entire interview and told me she didn't want to take dcg outside to see the play space because she would "run off". The kicker, she told me her daughter was asked to leave another daycare after one day for being "horrible" - supposedly the providers words! The interview ended awkwardly and I never heard back...too bad
Tags:interview - from hell
Reply Up