Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Coffee For DCP's?
bklsmum 07:40 PM 08-02-2015
A lot of my parents go through the Dunkin's drive thru in the morning after dropping off DCK's and I know every one of them has horrendous lines in the morning so I was thinking about doing a pot of coffee, a pot of boiling water and an assortment of teas, hot cocoa, creamers, sugar and sugar subs with to-go cups and lids for them to partake of at drop off...anyone ever done anything like this? Thoughts?
NoMoreJuice! 08:04 PM 08-02-2015
That's a very sweet idea! However, that stuff can add up in a hurry. I wouldn't do it because it would cost me so much extra time and money.
bklsmum 08:20 PM 08-02-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
That's a very sweet idea! However, that stuff can add up in a hurry. I wouldn't do it because it would cost me so much extra time and money.
I make a couple pots of coffee throughout the day anyway and I have a tea maker too so it won't really be a time issue. We keep at least 4 or 5 different creamers here at all times anyway because my daughters like them but most of the time at least 1/4 to 1/2 of the bottle gets thrown out because they don't use it fast enough. BJ's has 1000 cups and 1000 lids for about $35 and that would last us forever.
mommiebookworm 09:13 PM 08-02-2015
That's a very nice thing to do! You could also leave a jar there labeled coffee fund. I've worked in offices where there was done.
Baby Beluga 09:15 PM 08-02-2015
I think it is a very thoughtful idea, but not something I personally would offer.

I too would be worried about cost. In addition to cost, do you have a place where the items can be kept safely away from the kids? Will licensing have an issue with boiling water being left out? Do you think parents staying later in the AM would mess with DCK's behavior at drop off? Just some thoughts I had when reading
ColorfulSunburst 09:52 PM 08-02-2015
HOT coffee and tee during the drop off time?
For me it is a big-big no.
Parents can make tee and coffee at home.
bklsmum 03:14 AM 08-03-2015
In the morning the kiddos come in and go into the living room which is very separate from the kitchen. I would have it all on the kitchen counter where it is now. I haven't had an issue with my coffee pot and the DCK's thus far so I don't think that will be a problem and as long as they get their drink and leave the kiddos won't even really know they are still there. The water will be in my electric tea kettle which is on the counter next to my coffee maker so I don't think that is any kind of hazard either.
LysesKids 03:24 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
A lot of my parents go through the Dunkin's drive thru in the morning after dropping off DCK's and I know every one of them has horrendous lines in the morning so I was thinking about doing a pot of coffee, a pot of boiling water and an assortment of teas, hot cocoa, creamers, sugar and sugar subs with to-go cups and lids for them to partake of at drop off...anyone ever done anything like this? Thoughts?
I actually do this in the winter time ON MONDAY MORNINGS... starts the week off right and not as expensive to pull off because it's not every day; I also just do one type of drink... one Monday it might be Mexican cocoa, the next week Spiced chai. Something to say, hey thanks for being one of my families. I have done it going on 7 years now... heck I even had a past parent working with a new one & she asked if she could BUY an extra cup that her coworker could bring in every week because the Chai was so good ( I make it from scratch). That's how I know its memorable
DaveA 04:24 AM 08-03-2015
I think it's a cool idea and one DCPs would find sweet. Sounds like you wouldn't have a safety issue if things are available but out of way of DCKs. I would say give it a try and see what the response is.
Thriftylady 05:52 AM 08-03-2015
Perhaps you could as parents to bring their own reusable coffee cup. Or pick some up if you can find them cheap enough. I agree with putting a jar out for the fund. The only thing that would keep parents from using it is that so many people drink all the fancy coffees that you couldn't really do in this situation.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:54 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I actually do this in the winter time ON MONDAY MORNINGS... starts the week off right and not as expensive to pull off because it's not every day; I also just do one type of drink... one Monday it might be Mexican cocoa, the next week Spiced chai. Something to say, hey thanks for being one of my families. I have done it going on 7 years now... heck I even had a past parent working with a new one & she asked if she could BUY an extra cup that her coworker could bring in every week because the Chai was so good ( I make it from scratch). That's how I know its memorable
That is awesome. I have been known to send a to go cup in the morning
cheerfuldom 08:31 AM 08-03-2015
If parents wanted to skip the Dunkins line, they could do the same thing at home and make their own drink to go. For me, I would not want daycare parents hanging around and chatting in the kitchen. You cant supervise so you really dont know what they would be doing with the extra time. and unfortunately, if something gets spilled or broken, it will be your mess to clean up or liability on you. I know that is all negative. I wish people could just do something nice and not have to worry about stuff like this but unfortunately we do. Plus parents that dont have to hit the Dunkins line can now either drop their child off later (which could mess up your morning schedule) or hang out at your house. I would bet at least one of them would want to stay and chat and drink their coffee in the playroom. its just never ending. A nice thing can get ruined quickly. its up to you if you want to take a chance on the parents.
LysesKids 08:55 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If parents wanted to skip the Dunkins line, they could do the same thing at home and make their own drink to go. For me, I would not want daycare parents hanging around and chatting in the kitchen. You cant supervise so you really dont know what they would be doing with the extra time. and unfortunately, if something gets spilled or broken, it will be your mess to clean up or liability on you. I know that is all negative. I wish people could just do something nice and not have to worry about stuff like this but unfortunately we do. Plus parents that dont have to hit the Dunkins line can now either drop their child off later (which could mess up your morning schedule) or hang out at your house. I would bet at least one of them would want to stay and chat and drink their coffee in the playroom. its just never ending. A nice thing can get ruined quickly. its up to you if you want to take a chance on the parents.
My parents don't come into my kitchen for the Hot drinks, I have a pot already prepared & pour each cup as they come in; snap on the lid & exchange the cup for a baby and out the door they go lol
Heidi 09:08 AM 08-03-2015
I have done it occasionally. Most of my parents now aren't coffee drinkers though.
Controlled Chaos 10:54 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
My parents don't come into my kitchen for the Hot drinks, I have a pot already prepared & pour each cup as they come in; snap on the lid & exchange the cup for a baby and out the door they go lol
I like this idea

My DCPs bring me coffee from time to time, but I haven't ever given them any I do send extra muffins, cake breads etc. to my favorites if I have some left over from snack.
e.j. 11:09 AM 08-03-2015
When I was a dc parent, I used to think it would be wonderful if my provider offered coffee in the morning. Once I became a provider, though, I realized why they never did and why it wouldn't work for me either. (See all of the above responses!)

I think it's great that you want to do it, though, and based on your replies to other members, it sounds as though you've got it all worked out. I say go for it. You won't know until you've tried it. I'd love a follow up from you after a month or so of doing it just to see how it actually did work out for you.
snbauser 11:16 AM 08-03-2015
For the short time I operated a center, we did it. We used a Keurig so that the hot water/coffee wasn't already there (the Keurig heats it as it pours it). We also offered breakfast treats on Fridays. Many parents used it and loved it. I'd love to be able to offer it as an in home, but just don't really have a place to do it that wouldn't require parents walking through my house. My cubbies and classroom are right by the front door and my kitchen is in the back of the house.
daycarediva 04:04 PM 08-03-2015
I have Monday Muffins one Monday a month. I earn free muffins from our local bakery when I buy treats to bring to family brunch. I only get 6 muffins (6 families daily), so I just put them out the next day with a sign. I don't have the space/time/money for coffee/tea.
KKDaycare 04:47 PM 08-03-2015
I love this idea! It seems like you've thought it all out. I thought about doing a "Happy Friday" treat to set out for pick up time.
SquirrellyMama 09:10 AM 08-04-2015
I thought about doing that several years ago. I decided the parents should bring me coffee instead I do get coffee shop gift cards for my birthday and Christmas from them. They know me well

Kelly
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 08-04-2015
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
I thought about doing that several years ago. I decided the parents should bring me coffee instead I do get coffee shop gift cards for my birthday and Christmas from them. They know me well

Kelly
That's what I was thinking...

I'm was reading original post and was thinking...."I'm stuck here all day so when DCPs go through Dunkin' Donuts BEFORE dropping off, why aren't they bringing me a coffee and a donut?!?"
AmyKidsCo 11:44 AM 08-04-2015
I think it's a great idea and would do it myself but I don't have a good place to set it up. The cost of everything would be 100% tax deductible...
MyAngels 12:06 PM 08-04-2015
Being the cautious sort, I would never do this. Remember the McDonald's hot coffee in the lap lawsuit? That'd be my sort of luck.....
Rockgirl 12:28 PM 08-04-2015
I think it's a very nice thing to do for parents. However, I'm not willing to do it! Lol 😄
crazydaycarelady 12:21 PM 08-05-2015
I think it is a nice idea and if you want to do it then do it!

I am jealous that the parents get to be out in the world and getting a coffee in the morning. A lot of times I will buy a caramel machiatto at night and reheat it in the morning.
Unregistered 05:24 PM 08-05-2015
I think this would cause lots of chaos. I would never do it. I want them to drop their kids and go and pick up and go. It's enough I'm with their kids 10 hours a day
Unregistered 07:11 PM 08-05-2015
I thought about doing awhile back along with a homemade treat once in awhile. I think it would be so nice. I haven't gotten around to doing it. I thought about a Keurig too.
Unregistered 07:47 PM 08-05-2015
Shouldn't the parents be bringing you coffee????
Shell'skidfarm 08:50 AM 08-06-2015
I agree. This is not something I would do at all. Not only the extra cost, but having parents gathered around for while making their coffee. No way, I want them to drop off and go as they have been doing for the past 10 years. This works for me and them. Aside from having some parents griping that "Daycare costs" are too much and they still try to barter with me....and you think I would go out of my way to buy coffee, tea, sugar creamers of which I drink none, no thanks. May work for some, but not for me.
Shell'skidfarm 08:51 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Shouldn't the parents be bringing you coffee????
Exactly, they should bring us coffee in the morning!!
Shell'skidfarm 09:02 AM 08-06-2015
Unfortunately with the parents I have, they do not remember my birthday even though I don't understand why they constantly asked, they do nothing for Teacher Appreciation Day of which they all know I am a certified teacher, they don't send anything for Valentines day, Christmas, or any other holiday for myself or for their own kids. Very inconsiderate. Not even a gift card once a year, not even a thank you for all you do......therefore sorry to sound negative but no way in heck would I do it. After spending close to 12 hours a day with their munchkins 5 days a week with 9 years no vacation, late pick ups with just an "OOPS" as an excuse, trying to sneak in before I open in the morning, putting up sick kids being brought in and then I in turn get sick and if I have to close due to illness, parents have a heart attack, getting accused of this and that.................no thank you, get your own coffee.
Reply Up