Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playground Fence and More
284878 09:12 PM 03-30-2021
1. --- I currently have a fence up around the playground, we did it quickly and at low cost just before the snow fell a few years ago. I am considering upgrading the fence from the chicken fence to something more stable. (the chicken fence sags and I had one toddler attempt to climb over while standing on a tall mound of ice snow this winter)

I am not sure what the best fence is to upgrade too, I am not a fan of chain link fence.

We choose the chicken fence not just for the cost but also for the size of the holes, the other fence I considered, kids would be able to push toys through the opening.

What kinds of fences do you use?

2. --- Wagons, I am searching Amazon and other sites for kids' small (size of a kids shopping cart) wagons that the kids can pull or push around the playground. But every time I search wagons, I get big ones they can ride in or small ones that they can sit on a shelf in their room. Help me search for them. What keyword do I need to use?

3. --- Tires, does anyone have tires in their playground? If so how do you use them? Likes and dislikes of having them? Safety concerns?

4. --- Toy food, I found a toy food truck on FB for $5, it came with no accessories, https://www.zulily.com/p/servin-up-f...0Casual%20Booe
I put it outside and the kids love it, so I am considering getting food for it. (I also have shopping carts and a kitchen outside, considered a grill that I saw on FB too.) I considered wooden but would prefer a solid plastic-type that will not hold water, but not even sure if anyone makes that. Does anyone make a solid plastic toy food?
Pestle 05:56 AM 03-31-2021
There are vinyl inserts that close the holes up. You lose visibility--I have chain link inside my yard, not just around the perimeter, so it's not a good option for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LB5NZSS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Blackcat31 06:05 AM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by 284878:
2. --- Wagons, I am searching Amazon and other sites for kids' small (size of a kids shopping cart) wagons that the kids can pull or push around the playground. But every time I search wagons, I get big ones they can ride in or small ones that they can sit on a shelf in their room. Help me search for them. What keyword do I need to use?
Have you tried searching for a wheel barrow instead? They're cute and the kids can push/pull them easily across many different surfaces.

I don't have them (or wagons) as it encourages my kiddos to haul my sand out of the sandbox and the rubber mulch into the sandbox....and I just can't deal with that

3. --- Tires, does anyone have tires in their playground? If so how do you use them? Likes and dislikes of having them? Safety concerns?
I have two. One standing up (half buried in the ground) the kids can hide in, climb on or run through. It's painted and the kids like it but I find it sometimes makes their hands kind of grimy/sticky. Most often when its hot outside

The other is layed flat in the yard and is used as a catch all for the playground balls. It's okay but it's not used much else in other ways but I'll admit I haven't really encouraged use as the last few years "containers" and things in the yard that beg to be filled with leaves, rocks, sand, sticks, etc.... annoy me so mostly it's just a roack block when mowing the lawn.

4. --- Toy food, I found a toy food truck on FB for $5, it came with no accessories,

I put it outside and the kids love it, so I am considering getting food for it. (I also have shopping carts and a kitchen outside, considered a grill that I saw on FB too.) I considered wooden but would prefer a solid plastic-type that will not hold water, but not even sure if anyone makes that. Does anyone make a solid plastic toy food?
We spent a ton of time last year painting rocks for our outdoor kitchen area. Fun to do and sooooo many ideas on Pinterest for it!

Like this:
Attached: il_570xN.1919014837_5xjt.jpg (37.4 KB) 814e6e5cb546b29d33b6fcf0577bb727.jpg (1.40 MB) 
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 03-31-2021

Like these?

https://www.target.com/p/radio-flyer...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Ti...n-Red/49909219

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hape-Kids...0375/193120880

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/mega-bl.../6000201673009

https://www.step2.com/p/complete-choo-choo-train-combo/
284878 07:28 AM 03-31-2021
I like the target one, it's what I'm looking for. Thank you
The first Walmart one I had, the wheels cut pop it off so I sold it.
My kids tend to use the wagons and the shopping carts in races around the playground, so I encourage the running. I even have three or four of those popcorn poppers outside so they can pop them all around the playground. Whatever keeps them moving, right? Lol
I currently have one wagon, it's old it says "the step two company" on the bottom. Instead of having a handle that goes up and down it's a bar so they can push it better. I picked it up at a old toy yard sale last year along with some older bikes and a today's kids kitchen. Problem is I only have one and it is a major fight.

I like the painted rocks, those are cute. I wish I could find the toy food that I had as a child my shopping cart, it was solid plastic.

The tires you use are they big tractor tires or car tires?
rosieteddy 07:36 AM 03-31-2021
I used chain link fencing.The driveway and front gates into the yard are vinyl and 6 ft high.I didnt want to be totally visible from the street. The black vinyl chain link worked well.Seperating the daycare things from the rest of the yard.The swing set was in the big yard and it worked for safety. I had a huge sandbox and covered the grass with wood chips .Two climbing toys and cozy coups as well as step 2 small motor cyclws was all we had .
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 03-31-2021
I like the target one, it's what I'm looking for. Thank you
The first Walmart one I had, the wheels cut pop it off so I sold it.
My kids tend to use the wagons and the shopping carts in races around the playground, so I encourage the running. I even have three or four of those popcorn poppers outside so they can pop them all around the playground. Whatever keeps them moving, right? Lol
I currently have one wagon, it's old it says "the step two company" on the bottom. Instead of having a handle that goes up and down it's a bar so they can push it better. I picked it up at a old toy yard sale last year along with some older bikes and a today's kids kitchen. Problem is I only have one and it is a major fight.

I like the painted rocks, those are cute. I wish I could find the toy food that I had as a child my shopping cart, it was solid plastic.

The tires you use are they big tractor tires or car tires?
The tire on the ground is just a big truck tire.
The one they can hide in that is standing is a huge tractor tire.

My area is known for the largest open pit mining in the world and my hubby has a couple of these...I keep telling him I want one in the yard for the daycare kids but I dunno...lol!

Blackcat31 07:44 AM 03-31-2021
I have “food” like this in my random toy bin
I can’t find a brand on it but it would be ideal for outside use
Mine is clearly well loved lol!
Attached: 138CECB7-72DB-40B9-A585-3518655941DE.jpg (2.35 MB) 760BCC31-E9E0-436A-A787-9DC1CF1ADD9C.jpeg (2.76 MB) 
284878 10:29 AM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have “food” like this in my random toy bin
I can’t find a brand on it but it would be ideal for outside use
Mine is clearly well-loved lol!
Yes, that is the food I was talking about. This is what my little tikes shopping cart looked like. My food may be buried in my parent's yard. My dad dug up my dustpan once.

That was the best shopping cart with food, they need to bring it back.
Attached: shopping cart.jpg (50.2 KB) 
284878 10:39 AM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The tire on the ground is just a big truck tire.
The one they can hide in that is standing is a huge tractor tire.

My area is known for the largest open-pit mining in the world and my hubby has a couple of these...I keep telling him I want one in the yard for the daycare kids but I dunno...lol!

I got some car tires I want to put in the playground but
We have farm tractor tires, they are a bit smaller than what you have pictured, lol: We put them in the ground, upright (they are outside my now playground fence) but then kids started climbing them, which was okay until one slipped off and bit her tongue. Now I will still let my kids and their friends play on them but not daycare kids. Although when we go for a walk, I do let them run through them. Do you allow your dck to climb on them? If yes have there ever been any injuries?
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 03-31-2021
I got some car tires I want to put in the playground but
We have farm tractor tires, they are a bit smaller than what you have pictured, lol: We put them in the ground, upright (they are outside my now playground fence) but then kids started climbing them, which was okay until one slipped off and bit her tongue. Now I will still let my kids and their friends play on them but not daycare kids. Although when we go for a walk, I do let them run through them. Do you allow your dck to climb on them? If yes have there ever been any injuries?
Yes they are allowed to climb but only my 3.5 yrs old and up.
No injuries or issues thus far.
The younger kids climb too but elsewhere as it’s safer where I have more age appropriate equipment.
Tags:fenced yard, playground - fence, playground - safety
Reply Up