Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Different Views On Introducing Solids
blandino 05:01 PM 11-06-2013
Now, let me say I am not looking to provoke a debate about when solids need to be introduced.

I have a DCG who is 17 weeks old. Today I was texting with DCM, and found out she has started purées at home. It turns out DCG has had at least 3 different foods in the past week. I very nicely told mom that over the past few years we have seen that most pediatricians have changed from suggesting solids at 4m to 6m. She said she hasn't seen her pediatrician yet, but everything she has read has said that DCG was developmentally ready (didn't seem full, grabs at the spoon and doesn't have a tongue thrust) - I disagree that those are indicators of readiness and I believe DCG was going through a growth spurt. But DCM believes she is ready.

We very clearly state in our contract that we don't introduce solids until a minimum of 6 months. Now that foods have been introduced at home, DCG is going to be wanting something more substantial at daycare. I am very concerned with how his will play out. I am thinking I will just give extra formula to make up for the difference ?!?

Also, I am nervous about the rate that DCM is trying new foods. 3 foods in a week seems faster than any guidelines I have ever heard.

Anyone have any experience with this ?
Cradle2crayons 05:57 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Now, let me say I am not looking to provoke a debate about when solids need to be introduced.

I have a DCG who is 17 weeks old. Today I was texting with DCM, and found out she has started purées at home. It turns out DCG has had at least 3 different foods in the past week. I very nicely told mom that over the past few years we have seen that most pediatricians have changed from suggesting solids at 4m to 6m. She said she hasn't seen her pediatrician yet, but everything she has read has said that DCG was developmentally ready (didn't seem full, grabs at the spoon and doesn't have a tongue thrust) - I disagree that those are indicators of readiness and I believe DCG was going through a growth spurt. But DCM believes she is ready.

We very clearly state in our contract that we don't introduce solids until a minimum of 6 months. Now that foods have been introduced at home, DCG is going to be wanting something more substantial at daycare. I am very concerned with how his will play out. I am thinking I will just give extra formula to make up for the difference ?!?

Also, I am nervous about the rate that DCM is trying new foods. 3 foods in a week seems faster than any guidelines I have ever heard.

I took my dcb (18 weeks)to his well baby check and his shots today. The pediatrician said to start solids. He stated first week, twice a day, give him rice cereal mixed with formula by spoon. He stated on he second week, to introduce one different baby food per week starting with applesauce then bananas etc.

He stated if the baby was spitting it out to wait a week and re introduce.

This baby has been on very thick formula (rice cereal) since he was 2 weeks old, so digestively, it's assumed he's ready. He also has all he signs of developmental readiness and he's tripled his birth weight.

They also gave me a handout on introducing solids.

To be honest, we started rice cereal in a spoon a few weeks ago, just once a day. Mainly because he already gets it in his bottle almost that thick and he seemed developmentally ready.
Laurel 07:00 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I took my dcb (18 weeks)to his well baby check and his shots today. The pediatrician said to start solids. He stated first week, twice a day, give him rice cereal mixed with formula by spoon. He stated on he second week, to introduce one different baby food per week starting with applesauce then bananas etc.

He stated if the baby was spitting it out to wait a week and re introduce.

This baby has been on very thick formula (rice cereal) since he was 2 weeks old, so digestively, it's assumed he's ready. He also has all he signs of developmental readiness and he's tripled his birth weight.

They also gave me a handout on introducing solids.

To be honest, we started rice cereal in a spoon a few weeks ago, just once a day. Mainly because he already gets it in his bottle almost that thick and he seemed developmentally ready.

That's how we all did it back in the "olden days". I really don't get the waiting so long. I guess it is the new thinking.

Laurel

Edited to add: I didn't read that right. We used to do it before 18 weeks. They used to give us a certain many ounces of milk (can't remember the amount) to give them daily and told us not to let them go over that. If they wanted more then give them solids rather than more milk. So it wasn't the age it was the amount of milk/formula they were drinking.
Laurel 07:02 PM 11-06-2013

I'm not concerned about feeding the solids but we used to give the same food for a week. Three in one week seems like too many. They used to tell us it was to see if a baby was allergic to a certain food.

Laurel
Cradle2crayons 07:11 PM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:

That's how we all did it back in the "olden days". I really don't get the waiting so long. I guess it is the new thinking.

Laurel

Edited to add: I didn't read that right. We used to do it before 18 weeks. They used to give us a certain many ounces of milk (can't remember the amount) to give them daily and told us not to let them go over that. If they wanted more then give them solids rather than more milk. So it wasn't the age it was the amount of milk/formula they were drinking.
Yes, the drs here kind of go by that too. If they are drinking over x amount, have lost their tongue thrust, have decent head control, and have at least doubled birth weight etc.... It's several factors...

But DEFINATELY no more than one different food a week.
renodeb 07:13 PM 11-06-2013
I usually start solids around 6-7 mos. Usually rice cereal first if I have anything to say about it. I have one little boy (1 year old) and mom keeps sending jarred stuff for him. At home they feed him those pouches of food that he can just suck down. Nothing with texture and no green veges!
Deb
Play Care 03:06 AM 11-07-2013
At the risk of being flamed, I'm not overly concerned that solids have been introduced, but I would be concerned with the way they've been introduced. I don't buy the "food before one is for fun" line, especially with the last two infants I had...

ETA: obviously there are several factors that determine if baby is ready for "real" food and I believe those, rather then age, should be the deciding factor.
Laurel 04:14 AM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
At the risk of being flamed, I'm not overly concerned that solids have been introduced, but I would be concerned with the way they've been introduced. I don't buy the "food before one is for fun" line, especially with the last two infants I had...

ETA: obviously there are several factors that determine if baby is ready for "real" food and I believe those, rather then age, should be the deciding factor.

Well back in the day we used to give cereal at their last feeding so they would sleep through the night. We loved it actually. It worked like a charm.

I am putting my flame retardant suit on just in case.

Laurel
Unregistered 11:59 AM 11-07-2013
There's a theory that a lot of the allergies and food intolerances are caused by solids introduced too early, also by the fact that rice cereals and oatmeals are often first foods (gluten issues, etc.). It's an interesting thought.

I personally waited until well past 6 months, but introduced multiple foods at once, never did cereals- usually just pureed whatever we were having for dinner. I never waited on peanuts, honey, fish, or anything like that. Kid is fine. It's pretty interesting what comes in and out of favor as the years come and go.
Jack Sprat 12:06 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
There's a theory that a lot of the allergies and food intolerances are caused by solids introduced too early, also by the fact that rice cereals and oatmeals are often first foods (gluten issues, etc.). It's an interesting thought.

I personally waited until well past 6 months, but introduced multiple foods at once, never did cereals- usually just pureed whatever we were having for dinner. I never waited on peanuts, honey, fish, or anything like that. Kid is fine. It's pretty interesting what comes in and out of favor as the years come and go.
This is what I have read as well. We introduced solids at 6 months for both girls. They were nursing non-stop and never seemed full. I skipped giving cereal first. We also just pureed everything we ate. No allergies to this day, no issues period. Except 4.5 yr old has a strange addiction to spicey things and salmon.
littlemommy 12:09 PM 11-07-2013
I don't remember, but what does the food program say? They may require to wait until 6 months?
BrooklynM 12:09 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Well back in the day we used to give cereal at their last feeding so they would sleep through the night. We loved it actually. It worked like a charm.

I am putting my flame retardant suit on just in case.

Laurel
This is exactly what my mom taught me to do with my kids and it totally worked! As far as my DCK, I just go off what the parents request as long as they are working with their doctor and they aren't feeding the baby something they could choke on or something. I do think its best to introduce one food at a time though.
MarinaVanessa 12:38 PM 11-07-2013
My DS showed many of the same signs as the OP but he started doing it at 3 months. He seemed to be crying for food that we were eating and refusing his bottle if there was table food around him which at that point he was already drinking 4-6oz per sitting and about 4-6 bottles a day. We would try to hold him off as much as we could but he'd cry. He was also still nursing at that point but he was asking for more than what I could supply. At that point I started drinking a lot more water and taking fenugreek.

We talked to his Pediatrician about it and recommended that we start giving him baby cereal mixed into a puree with a spoon. That satisfied him for about a month and his pediatrician then recommended that we introduce first foods so we did. His pediatrician warned us that he wouldn't eat much of a small jar at first but that it would probably keep him happy since he was interested in table foods. The first time I fed DS first foods he ate an entire small jar of baby food, asked for more and then finished most of a rectangle container of baby food mixed with cereal. He ate it as if he was starving and cried out after each spoonful because apparently I wasn't fast enough.

The point is that all children are different. If you are worried about the baby's health then I'd just tell DCM that unless she talk to her pediatrician first and get a DR's note and a letter from DCM about you feeding her baby purees at such a young age that you won't be able to feed him purees at DC. Or if you don't want to feed him purees at DC at all until he's 6 months old then just say so and see what happens. If he becomes difficult at DC then you always have the option to term.

IMO if the DR is recommending it and the DCM signs a waiver then I don't see a big deal. If the DCM hasn't consulted a DR then I can see why you'd be so leery. I'd like to know where DCM is getting her research information from ... unfortunately most of it is from magazines, blogs or sites like Baby.com, BabyCenter.com, Parenting etc. which in no way replaced a DR's consult.

I remember our pediatrician telling us that before starting solids DS should be able to sit up (with support), turn his head away, and make chewing motions. He should also be past the reflex that makes him spit out anything but liquid.

Children's Mercy hospital also says 4-6 months:
Infant Feeding 4-6 months
Play Care 12:45 PM 11-07-2013

But there is also the flip theory that holding off on introducing solids and not introducing certain foods early enough (peanuts) is causing the rise in food allergies.
Blackcat31 12:49 PM 11-07-2013

If this theory was true every kid born before 1990 would have allergies and gluten issues.

Seems to me like allergies and gluten issues are what's plaguing today's kids.

My own children were introduced to solids when they didn't seem to be making more than 2-3 hours between bottle feedings.

My son was eating table food WITH silverware at 7 months. (He was weird/early about a lot of things) My DD started with rice cereal (in a bottle made for cereal ) when she was 8-9 weeks old.

My mom said she fed my brother jarred baby food at 1 week. He acted like he was starving at all times. Doctor told her to start solids. Solved the issue.

As far as daycare kids go though I would follow the food program guidelines and if mom insists on adding solids at this point, just have her bring a doctor's statement saying it has been okayed by the child's pediatrician.
jenn 01:26 PM 11-07-2013
My daughter is 5 now, and started foods at 4 months. She was hungry! She was a big baby (almost 10 lbs, born at 38 weeks) and bottles didn't keep her full. She did great with the food and remains to be a great eater. We did introduce foods slowly, maybe 2 new things per week. She always hated cereal/oatmeal, but loved veggies and fruit.
TwinKristi 01:28 PM 11-07-2013
But there is also the flip theory that holding off on introducing solids and not introducing certain foods early enough (peanuts) is causing the rise in food allergies.
My dr told me that the "golden time to introduce solids" is 4-6 mos. Not before 4 months or after 6 months or it can a) increase the incidence of allergies and b) decrease their desire for eating solids. With my older children I was told to try solids at 4 mos and as early as 3 mos with my twins who were massively huge rolly poley babies after started out tiny! They had tripled their birth weight by 3 mos. None of my children have food allergies.

OP- Maybe you can find a great info sheet to give mom about new foods and perhaps to slow down on trying new ones. I was told every 3 days you can try a new food with no reaction. Obviously stopping if there is one. My DS reacted a little with a rash on his cheeks to sweet potatoes so we never did those again. He's eaten sweet potatoes fries since and been fine though.
Blackcat31 01:30 PM 11-07-2013
In light of this thread, I thought I'd post this...it was interesting info

http://www.today.com/health/allergy-...ten-8C11545200
blandino 01:31 PM 11-07-2013
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I don't remember, but what does the food program say? They may require to wait until 6 months?
The food program says 4-6 months. My main issue is that I don't want to deal with the early stages of feeding, learning how to use a spoon, tongue thrust, etc. normally my parents start feeding at 5-6 months, and then once baby has a form grasp on it - we start after 6 months.

Like PP, I think cereal is a good solution for babies who are hungry.

For this DCG I think she is just a fussy little girl, and parents are looking to justify her fussiness and trying to put a reason to it. They also say she cried if there is even a drop of urine in her diaper. I think they just want there to be a reason behind her fussiness. She was very hungry the past few weeks, but I would assume that was a growth spurt, considering her age and the amount of sleep she was getting.
frugalmama4 01:39 PM 11-07-2013
Ok don't read to much into my "train of thought"

But I all ways say "if it didn't kill us on the plantation"...it won't kill us now!

I personal think this "new age" parenting is BS...there is so much information begin printed in books/magazines/blogs etc...that people forget to listen to the child.

No one child is the same, I personal have started all four of my own kids on foods at 4mos and they all did great! I do the same thing with my daycare babies...but, it's only to get them "spoon fed trained" so that when the bottle goes bye bye its easy as 1-2-3.

another note: I run my business with this in mine "I'm the Boss" if lil Johnny don't like yellow fun...well lil Johnny won't be eating most days. I will not do anything extra/different for any one child in care...period!

My food program reps, say 4mo with cereal/veggie/fruit. I have it in my policies that at 4mo we will start spoon feeding if the child shows readies.
sharlan 02:11 PM 11-07-2013
changed my mind
BrooklynM 02:21 PM 11-07-2013
Well, I will say this- I have Celiac disease so I can't eat gluten and I don't blame my mother for feeding me solids too early. First of all, most rice cereals don't have gluten in it. Secondly, there has been no link to Celiac and eating solids too soon that I'm aware of. As for peanut butter, I have no idea what's going on with that. All I know is that I never give the DCK any peanut butter until they have been eating it at home for a while. I don't want to have to deal with that at all.

I do however, blame my mother for many other things...
Unregistered 02:34 PM 11-07-2013
I wonder if formula feeding vs breast feeding makes a difference? If I had formula fed my kid, I might have introduced solids earlier, just to make sure they were getting enough nutrients and because I imagine getting the same thing everyday must have been pretty boring. At least with breastmilk it changes from day to day, even time of day, and with what the mother eats? Also, I bought more into the "food before one is just for fun" because I wanted to make sure she got breastmilk up to a year and didn't want food interfering with that. I don't know...

To each their own. Once kids are in high school, no one will be able to tell who was breast/formula fed and no one asks when you started solids on college or job applications.
lovemykidstoo 04:54 PM 11-07-2013
The food program says 4-6 months. My main issue is that I don't want to deal with the early stages of feeding, learning how to use a spoon, tongue thrust, etc. normally my parents start feeding at 5-6 months, and then once baby has a form grasp on it - we start after 6 months.
Like PP, I think cereal is a good solution for babies who are hungry.

For this DCG I think she is just a fussy little girl, and parents are looking to justify her fussiness and trying to put a reason to it. They also say she cried if there is even a drop of urine in her diaper. I think they just want there to be a reason behind her fussiness. She was very hungry the past few weeks, but I would assume that was a growth spurt, considering her age and the amount of sleep she was getting.

Forgive me, but I'm confused. Is the reason you don't want to feed baby solids is because it's too hard to get the baby to take the food and it's inconvenient or because you're concerned about an allergic reaction? If you're worried about the allergic reaction, then have mom write down the foods that the baby has eaten for 2 weeks and serve those. End of concern with that. If the baby has had it for 2 weeks and no allergic reaction then you're fine. My kids were like BC's. They were eating very early. They were both bit babies. My daughter is almost 13 and my son is 15 and they eat us out of house and home with no allergies at all and are healthy, so I guess I didn't scar them too much LOL!
Maria2013 05:11 AM 11-08-2013
I follow whatever mom and pediatrician decide, so long as it is in compliance with the food program....so far I have had no issues
lovemykidstoo 05:27 AM 11-08-2013
My food program starts solids at 4 months, but they don't penalize you if the parents don't give solids until 7 months.
Angelsj 06:31 AM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In light of this thread, I thought I'd post this...it was interesting info

http://www.today.com/health/allergy-...ten-8C11545200
See, I have been through so many of these things:
Sleep on their belly, no, on their side, no, on the back!
Feed them early, no late, no midway!
Breastmilk, no, formula is best, no, breastmilk....etc...

This is why I am not willing to unequivocally jump on the "vaccines do NOT or DO cause autism" bandwagons or any other absolute when it comes to science. They are always researching and finding "new" information. As it should be, but I chuckle every time someone makes a claim to hold THE answers.
blandino 06:33 AM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Forgive me, but I'm confused. Is the reason you don't want to feed baby solids is because it's too hard to get the baby to take the food and it's inconvenient or because you're concerned about an allergic reaction? If you're worried about the allergic reaction, then have mom write down the foods that the baby has eaten for 2 weeks and serve those. End of concern with that. If the baby has had it for 2 weeks and no allergic reaction then you're fine. My kids were like BC's. They were eating very early. They were both bit babies. My daughter is almost 13 and my son is 15 and they eat us out of house and home with no allergies at all and are healthy, so I guess I didn't scar them too much LOL!
That's also part of my concern, is that mom has fed at minimum 3 foods in a week - and I believe it is actually more than that. So the whole "try for two weeks" is out the window. And also, I usually wait until they have a great grasp on spoon feeding - which usually happens with my DCK at 6 months (once they have had practice at home.

My main concern is just being on such different wavelengths about food. I guess I can just set standards for why happens under my roof, and be settled in that.
lovemykidstoo 06:35 AM 11-08-2013
That's also part of my concern, is that mom has fed at minimum 3 foods in a week - and I believe it is actually more than that. So the whole "try for two weeks" is out the window. And also, I usually wait until they have a great grasp on spoon feeding - which usually happens with my DCK at 6 months (once they have had practice at home.

My main concern is just being on such different wavelengths about food. I guess I can just set standards for why happens under my roof, and be settled in that.
So what did the mom say when you told her that you wouldn't feed her baby solids until 6 months old?
Play Care 08:25 AM 11-08-2013
I wonder if formula feeding vs breast feeding makes a difference? If I had formula fed my kid, I might have introduced solids earlier, just to make sure they were getting enough nutrients and because I imagine getting the same thing everyday must have been pretty boring. At least with breastmilk it changes from day to day, even time of day, and with what the mother eats? Also, I bought more into the "food before one is just for fun" because I wanted to make sure she got breastmilk up to a year and didn't want food interfering with that. I don't know...

To each their own. Once kids are in high school, no one will be able to tell who was breast/formula fed and no one asks when you started solids on college or job applications.
The last two babies in my care were both breast fed exclusively. They were BIG babies and sucked down the EBM. If mom could have been a
SAHM and allowed them to feed as much as needed then not introducing the solids until 6 months or later may have worked. But these boys were HUNGRY and in group day care.
Unregistered 09:51 AM 11-08-2013
The last two babies in my care were both breast fed exclusively. They were BIG babies and sucked down the EBM. If mom could have been a
SAHM and allowed them to feed as much as needed then not introducing the solids until 6 months or later may have worked. But these boys were HUNGRY and in group day care.
that makes sense. I forgot that one tip when I was struggling with pumping for a few weeks was to offer a little bannana or avacodo to help tide them over until we could be together again. It must be hard as a provider to deal with a hungry little one.

I just think sometimes parents are in such a hurry for the next milestone. It's all super exciting, but slow down! I remember being excited about my little one's first foods, first steps, etc. Now I miss those snuggles during nursing sessions and wish I hadn't weaned so quick and suddenly, and I certainly wish I hadn't ever let her learn to walk or talk!
littlemissmuffet 11:58 AM 11-08-2013
I've been giving my preemie home-made solids since 5 months (and tried new foods every few days)... and since she was born over three months early, she was developmentally only 2 months old. Now, at 10 months (7 months) she's a super eater! She's also currently learning to drink from a cup.

I have certain guideline I follow for daycare kiddos, but when it comes to my own - I go with what feels right and use the good old fashion trial and error method. Every doctor, book, mother and friend has different thoughts and advice on every baby subject under the sun... take what works for you and leave the rest.

In this case, I would stick to your usual guideline of solids at 6 months and offer additional formula - if it's becomes an issue you will either need to make an exception and provide solids or term because it's not our place to tell a parent when they can/can't start solids at home.

Good luck!
EntropyControlSpecialist 12:08 PM 11-08-2013
I think that's crazy, personally.

I subscribe to the "food before one is just for fun" way of thinking, though. My daughter will not be eating any food meals before the age of one, just sampling food at every mealtime. She'll be able to eat food and drink from a cup but it won't be her primary source of nutrition. The proper amount of fat (necessary for brain development) and calories are in breastmilk, not the small amount of food a baby can consume. Rice cereal is absolutely horrible so I have nothing nice to say about that at all.

My daughter nurses every 1-3 hours. 3 being the absolute max. and 2 being the most common time interval until the evening.
EntropyControlSpecialist 12:15 PM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I've been giving my preemie home-made solids since 5 months (and tried new foods every few days)... and since she was born over three months early, she was developmentally only 2 months old. Now, at 10 months (7 months) she's a super eater! She's also currently learning to drink from a cup.

I have certain guideline I follow for daycare kiddos, but when it comes to my own - I go with what feels right and use the good old fashion trial and error method. Every doctor, book, mother and friend has different thoughts and advice on every baby subject under the sun... take what works for you and leave the rest.

In this case, I would stick to your usual guideline of solids at 6 months and offer additional formula - if it's becomes an issue you will either need to make an exception and provide solids or term because it's not our place to tell a parent when they can/can't start solids at home.

Good luck!
I agree.
Unregistered 02:45 PM 11-08-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

Good luck!
I am logged out, and too lazy to log in in my phone right now. But it is the OP.

I definitely agree that with your own child, you would do what feels right. My reason for waiting until 6 months is to allow the child to develop those spoon feeding skills at home with a parent who has exponentially more time to work with a child on eating skills. Normally my parents start at 5ish months with cereal or basic first foods and a few weeks later, around 6 months, we will start.

I definitely don't think it's my place to tell them what to do at home - my only concern is when the actions taken at home affect daycare (ie the baby being hungry more often).
Reply Up