Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MLK day (Monday)
KristinsHomeCC 03:21 PM 01-14-2016
Question about holidays....if it says our days off and holidays off in our handbook, is it our responsibility to remind parents in advance?? Isnt this part of being a parent, reading the handbook and making a note of days you'll need back up care?

I told a new family at pick up. "Oh, I didnt know that. Hm..its OK though" gee! Thanks! I know its OK, LOL!
mommyneedsadayoff 04:22 PM 01-14-2016
I don't think we HAVE to remind them, but it is always a good idea to avoid an early wake up call of some parent banging on your door monday morning I would just say on Friday, VERY clearly, "See you on TUESDAY!!!!"
e.j. 04:43 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I don't think we HAVE to remind them, but it is always a good idea to avoid an early wake up call of some parent banging on your door monday morning I would just say on Friday, VERY clearly, "See you on TUESDAY!!!!"
I don't view it as my responsibility but I always post a reminder on the door they use to leave my house so they can't miss it. There are very few days I get to sleep in so I like to make sure I don't get woken up early on my days off.
Thriftylady 04:58 PM 01-14-2016
When I am going to be closed I always do a reminder. People don't go back and look. I wish I could say they do but....

I am open on what I consider "minor" holidays. Most of my kids are SA and my parents have to work.
NoMoreJuice! 05:00 PM 01-14-2016
I always remind. I put a note on my front door, post it on my facebook page, and remind in person. I have 11 families, and the odds are definitely in favor of at least one forgetting. I don't close that often, so it's really worth my time to make sure they won't ring my doorbell on a day off!
SnowGirl 06:45 PM 01-14-2016
I put a "holiday reminder" for the following month on my invoice/receipt. Like everyone has said, I want to make extra sure my families stay away on my holidays!
spedmommy4 06:54 PM 01-14-2016
I have a Shutterfly group for my parents. I put all the holidays for the year on the calendar and the group page automatically sends out an email reminder the day before. That's the only reminder the parents get from me.

I kind of feel like we spoil them. Once your kids go to elementary school, parents have to remember all that on their own.
thrivingchildcarecom 07:15 PM 01-14-2016
Believe me I have been awakened too many times by parents claiming that they didn't know about the holiday. While I don't think we should have to remind them, I just do to avoid any issue. Even though its clearly stated in the contract, I actually make a holiday magnet each year with the specific dates and then I usually send out reminders 1-2 weeks in advance of a holiday as well. I know its overkill, but they will never be able to say they didn't know.
momofboys 07:35 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I have a Shutterfly group for my parents. I put all the holidays for the year on the calendar and the group page automatically sends out an email reminder the day before. That's the only reminder the parents get from me.

I kind of feel like we spoil them. Once your kids go to elementary school, parents have to remember all that on their own.
Not exactly true, for many schools they do the one call reminders for early releases/days off the day ahead of time so parents don't "forget" LOL!
spedmommy4 07:42 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Not exactly true, for many schools they do the one call reminders for early releases/days off the day ahead of time so parents don't "forget" LOL!
I'm not one of the lucky ones. . My dcks have school Monday so I thought mine did too. I checked the online calendar. Nope. My kids are off.
Reply Up