Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Locks On Solid Cherry Furniture Drawers
Mom2Two 05:32 PM 04-15-2018
So our rules have changed to where if a choking hazard is in a drawer or container it is considered accessible to children even if they are napping in a bedroom, in a pnp, on camera, and never been known to jump out of a pnp in their life (like I'd let them nap in my master bedroom if they were a climber). So now I have to install child locks in our master bedroom on our expensive, solid cherry furniture. It's not laminate. It's not plywood. It's solid cherry. And I don't quite trust DH to keep pocket change, breath mints, and cough drops out of his nightstand at all times. I know he's going to forget sometime. And even in my drawer...I don't know if I could stand watching a licensor open my dresser drawers. The thought is very unpleasant to me even though it's all normal lingerie, nylons, bathing suits, and stuff.

Any ideas? I am shuddering at this. I have child catches on our kitchen drawer, cabinets, and bathroom cabinets--but on fine furniture??? I can barely even cope with the new rule changes. Our house isn't that big, and yet I have to rearrange and get rid of so much stuff just to get my under bed craft storage out and other things like that. Or find lockable under bed storage????
flying_babyb 07:57 PM 04-15-2018
how about moving them to a closet then putting a lock on the closet?
284878 08:35 PM 04-15-2018
I know it's not the same but when I did foster care they inspected all rooms including my master bedroom. They never once opened any drawers. Even my DC inspections only open drawers in the bathroom and kitchen but not DD room where dck sleep.

As for locks, I am with you, I would not want to damage my furniture with screw holes.

In my kitchen and bathroom, I use a dowel in the handles of the drawers so the kids can not open them. (The dowels causes all four drawers to open together)
There are child locks that use sticky tape to mount with that I use on a buffet that contains art supplies.
Like these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0190LZ80Q...a-457035350157

I can't promise that they won't damage the finish but they would prevent holes.

If your furniture does not have handles or knobs, you could consider adding them so you can use other non drill locks.

Or if I had to add locks to my bedroom furniture, I would try to talk DH into something more like this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002X...svL&ref=plSrch
So it looks as if it meant to be there.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
So our rules have changed to where if a choking hazard is in a drawer or container it is considered accessible to children even if they are napping in a bedroom, in a pnp, on camera, and never been known to jump out of a pnp in their life (like I'd let them nap in my master bedroom if they were a climber). So now I have to install child locks in our master bedroom on our expensive, solid cherry furniture. It's not laminate. It's not plywood. It's solid cherry. And I don't quite trust DH to keep pocket change, breath mints, and cough drops out of his nightstand at all times. I know he's going to forget sometime. And even in my drawer...I don't know if I could stand watching a licensor open my dresser drawers. The thought is very unpleasant to me even though it's all normal lingerie, nylons, bathing suits, and stuff.

Any ideas? I am shuddering at this. I have child catches on our kitchen drawer, cabinets, and bathroom cabinets--but on fine furniture??? I can barely even cope with the new rule changes. Our house isn't that big, and yet I have to rearrange and get rid of so much stuff just to get my under bed craft storage out and other things like that. Or find lockable under bed storage????
I'd move the PNP before I sacrificed my bedroom furniture.

If that's not an option I understand but honestly providers already have to give up so much privacy as it is that it seems so unfair to require you to do this but at the same time, I completely get it.

This is where I think you really just have to decide...daycare is more important than preserving your bedroom furniture or it's not and then act accordingly.

Some of these rules seem so silly but I just can't say that when it comes to choking....

hwichlaz 07:53 AM 04-16-2018
Tiny screw holes on the inside of the furniture isn’t damaging it. They can easily be removed when you no longer do childcare and you’ll never notice them again.

If you’re worried about furniture damage by improper installation, then I’d hire someone to do it.
daycarediva 10:01 AM 04-16-2018
I had the same issue in our kitchen upstairs. I didn't want to damage them, so I installed magnetic locks using ONLY the sticky tape (they come with it, double sided to aid in installation). I turn the off after hours (or if dh is home, he can lock them again real quick if the state pulls up).

The kids are LITERALLY NEVER in my kitchen, so it made NO sense to me, but whatever.

The sticky is holding up well (been about 7 months?)
lovemykidstoo 10:17 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I had the same issue in our kitchen upstairs. I didn't want to damage them, so I installed magnetic locks using ONLY the sticky tape (they come with it, double sided to aid in installation). I turn the off after hours (or if dh is home, he can lock them again real quick if the state pulls up).

The kids are LITERALLY NEVER in my kitchen, so it made NO sense to me, but whatever.

The sticky is holding up well (been about 7 months?)
Where did you buy those for the best deal? I need some, but they're pricey. Are they hard to install?
daycarediva 10:40 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Where did you buy those for the best deal? I need some, but they're pricey. Are they hard to install?
They were pricey. I got mine on amazon for around $20 for 4 locks and a key, I had to buy 7 sets (14 total locks) OUCH!

They were super easy to install since all I did was peel/stick.
lovemykidstoo 11:13 AM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
They were pricey. I got mine on amazon for around $20 for 4 locks and a key, I had to buy 7 sets (14 total locks) OUCH!

They were super easy to install since all I did was peel/stick.
Wowsers! I see that there are different kinds. Can you tell me what brand you bought?
Mom2Two 02:03 PM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd move the PNP before I sacrificed my bedroom furniture.

If that's not an option I understand but honestly providers already have to give up so much privacy as it is that it seems so unfair to require you to do this but at the same time, I completely get it.

This is where I think you really just have to decide...daycare is more important than preserving your bedroom furniture or it's not and then act accordingly.

Some of these rules seem so silly but I just can't say that when it comes to choking....

Well, I've done child care with naps in my bedroom for five years with no locks on my furniture and no one has choked. Did you not read my whole post? Aren't cameras and no prior record of crib-escapes a protection against choking if the choking hazards are in container inside a drawer?
lovemykidstoo 02:26 PM 04-16-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Well, I've done child care with naps in my bedroom for five years with no locks on my furniture and no one has choked. Did you not read my whole post? Aren't cameras and no prior record of crib-escapes a protection against choking if the choking hazards are in container inside a drawer?
Some of these rules are really getting a bit much imo. I would venture to say that most of the parents don't do half of what we do for security and the children survive.
Tags:child locks, locks, safety
Reply Up