Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How much space to make a small baby area?
TaylorTots 12:51 PM 08-07-2014
I have an infant enrolling for the first time since opening. I have a smaller in home daycare, with only 5-6 children. I have always had preschoolers or toddlers. I was thinking of sectioning off part of the plush living room carpet for an "infants" only area. It will be baby's "free play" area from 6 weeks old till she's mobile (5-7 months). How large should it be? Baby's pack and play/crib will be in another room for naps.
AmyKidsCo 12:59 PM 08-07-2014
If she's not mobile maybe 2" square - the size of a crib blanket?

Are you licensed? Do you have any regs about how much space each child needs?
midaycare 02:26 PM 08-07-2014
My area is for infants & toddlers. I'm just really picky about what toys I buy for that area. It's a good four feet. Toddlers can play at other centers, but not infants. I have enough open spaces that I can lay down an activity mat and the baby will be fine and out of the way.
Cat Herder 03:18 PM 08-07-2014
It would be dependent on your States regs. Here it is 36 sq ft per child.

If I gate in a special area for one infant (and I always do) it MUST be 36 sq feet... of unobstructed/usable space. Yes, the inspector brings a tape measure and deducts the space of any table, chair or toybox each time.

(Centers can get approved for 24 sq ft per child. Guess they have super small/lethargic kids. )
TwinKristi 03:27 PM 08-07-2014
I blocked off a part of my living room with a train table so it kept the baby in a safe zone and the other kids CAN play nicely in there but she can't get to all the other areas and get stepped on or anything. She's getting around my barrier though so it's not a permanent solution but it works for now. LOL
My old provider used a big 8 panel super yard with a blanket down for my twins as babies.
midaycare 05:10 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

(Centers can get approved for 24 sq ft per child. Guess they have super small/lethargic kids. )
Too funny!
TaylorTots 05:35 PM 08-07-2014
I'm legally unlicensed - there are no requirements for space for me through my state. I was thinking 3 foot square. I don't want her to live in baby gear nor my preschoolers to touch/bother/trample her. They are super good though with the "not your area" deal and I can gate off a small area in our play room..
TaylorTots 05:42 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I blocked off a part of my living room with a train table so it kept the baby in a safe zone and the other kids CAN play nicely in there but she can't get to all the other areas and get stepped on or anything. She's getting around my barrier though so it's not a permanent solution but it works for now. LOL
My old provider used a big 8 panel super yard with a blanket down for my twins as babies.
I was thinking a 6 panel as I will only have one infant. He'll leave in June (teacher family)...
itlw8 06:54 PM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
I'm legally unlicensed - there are no requirements for space for me through my state. I was thinking 3 foot square. I don't want her to live in baby gear nor my preschoolers to touch/bother/trample her. They are super good though with the "not your area" deal and I can gate off a small area in our play room..
3 sq ft or 3ft x 3 ft as in 9 sq feet... still that is rather small it would be like always in a pack and play. fine for tiny babe but restrictive when they start rolling and moving.
Indianadaycare 03:38 PM 08-09-2014
When baby is very small, I have her in a pnp in the main room with plenty of noise so she knows it's not nap time. In the pnp I have an infant mirror leaning against one side where she can turn and look at herself. I have a couple of balls she can grasp and a small washcloth she can safely put in her mouth and explore. Just a few basic, simple items.
When she's older and trying to turn over, I use an eight panel play yard in a corner of the room so she can practice turning over and even army crawling with a few simple toys: ball, plastic colander, links, linking beads, etc
This way, she is in a safe, contained area where she can learn to turn over, sit, and crawl. Once walking, well, she joins the others!
Reply Up