Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Over Holiday Crafts
Unregistered 11:00 AM 06-14-2016
With Father's day coming up, I know a lot of you will be doing something. I have things to do, just wondering...anyone here not do Mother's and Father's day crafts?

I was on vacation for Mother's day, so I didn't do that one this year. It felt awesome! I'm just feeling eh. Their own parents should be handling this. I have done nice things in the past, and I'm not sure it was very appreciated. That said...I have also been surprised to walk into a dcf's home and see every project we've made for the past 6 months hanging up.

Anyone go against the grain and not do these crafts?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:13 AM 06-14-2016
I don't
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 06-14-2016
I dont either
childcaremom 11:24 AM 06-14-2016
I don't usually.

This year we planted for Mother's Day. I did't realize that Mother's Day was a week earlier than I thought and our seeds hadn't sprouted. One of the dad's actually said something to me.

yeah, won't be doing Father's Day anything.
Unregistered 11:54 AM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I don't usually.

This year we planted for Mother's Day. I did't realize that Mother's Day was a week earlier than I thought and our seeds hadn't sprouted. One of the dad's actually said something to me.

OP here...
What?! Now that is rude.

I'm glad to hear others aren't doing crafts or gifts. I'm starting to change from being a sweet daycare person to a hard lined business woman.
Baby Beluga 12:03 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I don't usually.

what did he say?
Snowmom 12:06 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OP here...
What?! Now that is rude.

I'm glad to hear others aren't doing crafts or gifts. I'm starting to change from being a sweet daycare person to a hard lined business woman.
Lol. Sounds like me too!
I used to do all the cutesy stuff. This year, I was on vacation during Mother's Day too, so I completely agree... it felt great to not have to worry about expectations there.
I'm feeling a bit guilty though about not having any Father's Day stuff planned.
Controlled Chaos 12:24 PM 06-14-2016
I do crafts and holiday gifts from the dck to their parents. BUT all 3 of my kids are daycare aged and I use that time to also make their Dad/godfather/grandfather crafts too And my own kids love having something they made to give to the special people in their lives. It is a pain and occasionally stressful. I try and plan way ahead (several weeks) so I can take my time with the kids. 1 year I had a crew where half didn't have dads, so I skipped father's day that year.

I charge a lot so I don't mind working a little harder every once in a while Parents dont brag on social media an tag my business when I spend months helping their child learn to put on their own shoes, but one cute holiday craft and I get a handful of new FB likes and maybe even a new family on my wait list. To me its worth is right now.
AmyKidsCo 01:29 PM 06-14-2016
I still do gifts for Mom & Dad Day and Christmas. I don't mind doing it, it's the figuring out what to do and remembering to buy the supplies that kills me.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 02:16 PM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I still do gifts for Mom & Dad Day and Christmas. I don't mind doing it, it's the figuring out what to do and remembering to buy the supplies that kills me.
I would but in the past few years I have had too many unique custody situations....
Josiegirl 02:53 PM 06-14-2016
Most of my dcps never say a word about it. But then there's one or 2 that will say how much they loved it.
Have to admit I'm not putting in the effort nearly as much as I used. I'd love to drop the whole idea of doing anything, along with celebrating birthdays or anything. I feel like a big giant Grinch this week.
JackandJill 03:46 PM 06-14-2016
I never do kids crafts as gifts. I can be a total flake and I hate putting that kind of pressure on myself!

I always give gifts from me on special occasions... a bottle of wine at Christmas/New Years, a little thing of nail polish and foot scrub on Mothers Day and coffee gift card on Fathers day were my gift this time around. I always make each family a pie at Thanksgiving, that's my favorite tradition!!

Like someone else said, I charge a lot, so I don't mind giving back. I just hate running around last minute for mugs and glitter
Missjaime 03:53 PM 06-14-2016
I used to do baked goods that the kiddos helped make, but this year I forgot on mothers day, so I'm not doing it for fathers day either! Hopefully, I can remember next year, cause baked goods are fun for the kiddos, and the parents seem to like it.
CityGarden 06:20 PM 06-14-2016
I tend to plan a couple higher end projects each year then in the months prior to Mother's Day or Father's Day I decided which project came out the best for the entire class and wrap those for the holiday. I have the child make a cute note or poem to go with it and we call the project a mother's day or father's day gift!

Another thing I have done in the past that I like is inviting mom or dad right after drop off to complete a project with their child and for the child to present them with a card/poem they made for them.
Play Care 03:16 AM 06-15-2016
My issue is that I feel I've been doing this for so long, that I'm always sending home the same thing.

Father's Day is Sunday and I've got nothing.
Unregistered 07:48 AM 06-15-2016
I keep a list of projects I like for dcks to give parents. That way I can just look over the list and choose one we haven't done for a few years. If we repeat every 4-5 years, no problem - mostly different kids, or at least they are a lot older and the project turns out different.
Crazy8 11:21 AM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
My issue is that I feel I've been doing this for so long, that I'm always sending home the same thing.

Father's Day is Sunday and I've got nothing.
This is me, and my kids don't come on Fridays so I need something for TOMORROW!!!

I am surprised so many don't do anything. My kids are all 3 and under so they are definitely adult led projects but I do feel like my parents look forward to them and appreciate them!
I am hoping walking around Michael's Crafts tonight will give me some ideas. I am tired of footprint/handprint everything but that's all I find when searching.
Controlled Chaos 11:42 AM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
This is me, and my kids don't come on Fridays so I need something for TOMORROW!!!

I am surprised so many don't do anything. My kids are all 3 and under so they are definitely adult led projects but I do feel like my parents look forward to them and appreciate them!
I am hoping walking around Michael's Crafts tonight will give me some ideas. I am tired of footprint/handprint everything but that's all I find when searching.
I was super sick handprints too.

Last year we painted birdhouses I found at Michaels for 1$. This year I let them choose a cookie cutter to cut clay. We are going to paint the clay this afernoon and tomorrow we will glue on magnets. So they will give their dad's a personalized magnet for the fridge.
Unregistered 01:10 PM 06-15-2016
OP here. I'm finding it's difficult to do special crafts anymore with all of my part timers. My ones that are here 2 days a week...there's no time.

Then now I have one sick and one on vacation. So Father's day crafting isnt going to happen. I can't say I'm sad, but I like the idea of baked goods and birdhouses and some of the other things.
Play Care 01:24 PM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

I stopped at AC Moore today and picked up "color a pot" plastic pots ($1 each) I'm going to have the kids color the paper inserts, I'll get a pic of each kid to glue on the paper and write "I love you to pieces, Dad!" the pots will be filled with Reese's pieces. Done and done.
Laurel 04:46 AM 06-16-2016
Reading these made me think of something I did that one of my dads liked a lot. It really wasn't for an occasion.

I drew around the child's foot on a piece of construction paper. Then I weighed and measured the child and put the stats on the paper. I didn't think it was any big deal but a dad brought me that paper a year later and asked if I could do it again so he could compare the stats. I was so touched. I barely remembered that I did it and it was so simple. If I was doing it again (I'm retired now), I'd add a picture of the child. You can take their picture and Walgreens will have it printed in an hour. Good last minute gift.
Josiegirl 10:20 AM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Reading these made me think of something I did that one of my dads liked a lot. It really wasn't for an occasion.

I drew around the child's foot on a piece of construction paper. Then I weighed and measured the child and put the stats on the paper. I didn't think it was any big deal but a dad brought me that paper a year later and asked if I could do it again so he could compare the stats. I was so touched. I barely remembered that I did it and it was so simple. If I was doing it again (I'm retired now), I'd add a picture of the child. You can take their picture and Walgreens will have it printed in an hour. Good last minute gift.
That is a cute idea.
I had the dcks paint a good flower bed rock, then I decoupaged their picture on it and wrote Happy Father's Day. I'm not sure what happened but some of the pictures were a bit blotchy. I still have to spray them with clear sealant. Then someone on this forum did a Superhero picture with foot and hand prints. We did those today. Pretty cute.
LovetheSun 01:42 PM 06-16-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I tend to plan a couple higher end projects each year then in the months prior to Mother's Day or Father's Day I decided which project came out the best for the entire class and wrap those for the holiday. I have the child make a cute note or poem to go with it and we call the project a mother's day or father's day gift!

Another thing I have done in the past that I like is inviting mom or dad right after drop off to complete a project with their child and for the child to present them with a card/poem they made for them.
So cute that you allow parents to finish a project with their kids! That's a nice touch and brave too because sometime I feel like the children get too loud when their parents are around.

We do Mother's and Father's Day, a nice DIY project. And we do cards for New Year, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

But we are lucky that the parents appreciated the small gestures so far.
ColorfulSunburst 05:45 PM 06-17-2016
It is our project for Father's day. Kids were enjoying hammering and all of us love the result!
1.jpg
Attached:
Blackcat31 05:49 PM 06-17-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
It is our project for Father's day. Kids were enjoying hammering and all of us love the result!
Attachment 3810
What cool idea!
Great activity for motor skills too!
Josiegirl 03:42 AM 06-18-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
Attachment 3810
Cute idea! How did you do that? I have a pounding nails game the kids use but they hammer plastic tees into a Styrofoam type board. Did you pre-drill holes?
ColorfulSunburst 08:19 AM 06-18-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Did you pre-drill holes?
I used tacks instead of nails. I pre-attached them and then kids nailed them down.
WAHMderful_Life 06:40 PM 06-20-2016
I plan to make a list for say a 3/4yr rotation of the same crafts for holidays. I don't go all out just do one of those handprint pictures and a poem or similar type thing for mothers/fathers day. I plan to in future maybe laminate them as well. this yr I was all out of lamenting sheets and since I'm closing after summer for mat leave I wasn't bothering to buy them. I like doing cookies at christmas and the kids decorate them and sometimes do cookies for other holidays like valentines day. For holidays I don't mind doing the crafts that I do half off them or most of them lol and they just paint or color or what ever.

When it comes to other day to day art I'm all about simple stuff, if its a craft I have to put together cause its to hard for them then I'm not doing it. Paper, Paint, and something fun to paint with is what they like best.
AmyKidsCo 08:19 PM 06-20-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OP here. I'm finding it's difficult to do special crafts anymore with all of my part timers. My ones that are here 2 days a week...there's no time.

Then now I have one sick and one on vacation. So Father's day crafting isnt going to happen. I can't say I'm sad, but I like the idea of baked goods and birdhouses and some of the other things.
Well, you never asked if the gifts went home on time... About half the time they don't dry in time or someone is picked up early, or...
Tags:holiday - crafts
Reply Up