Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB NEEDS to Quit Repeating People!
SilverSabre25 08:24 AM 08-22-2012
DD: "Mom, when's lunch?"
DCB: "Miss Silver, DD wants to know when's lunch." (he says this over top of me answering her)
Me: "DD, lunch is very soon."
DCB: "She said it's very soon, DD."

I called him over for the third time today to have a conversation about not needing to repeat everything people say. He is NOT the only one with ears and a mouth, he is NOT the go-between, and he DOES NOT NEED TO REPEAT PEOPLE.

This child, I swear, he is going to get boxed up and sent to Australia if he's not careful. He's up in everyone's business, thinks he needs to speak for everyone and relay all the information anyone ever says, and sometimes really seems to think that he is the sole and only center of the entire universe...and if things don't revolve around him he sulks big time.

Any advice (short of putting him on a slow boat to China) to help him learn to STOP REPEATING?
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 08-22-2012
I have the SAME kid!!!!

I turn it around and do it to him! I say "Look S, baby is crying!"
"Oh my S, I think Jill wants to know when snack is"
"Hey S, the other kids want to know if they can play outside"
"S, Billy wants to know if his mom will be here soon"
"S, Gabe is playing blocks but didn't pick up his trucks first"

on and on and on.....

Drives him batty!
sharlan 08:52 AM 08-22-2012
Children like this make me wish for a velcro wall. Wouldn't it be nice to just hang them up for a few minutes. (I AM JUST KIDDING!)

I think turning it back on them gives them the attention they are looking for. I think I would just say, "Johnny, go play toys" everytime he did it.
Lilbutterflie 08:57 AM 08-22-2012
I don't really have any advice other than to take deep breaths and be patient! LOL

I am anxious to hear what others advise, because I have a repeater, too. Except he doesn't repeat what others say, he repeats his own "stories" over and over. And over. And over. To absolutely anyone who will listen. Each week he has something new that he obsesses with repeating. This week, it's hurricanes. I have heard this story five times today alone:

"We were watching TV and I saw a hurricane! There is a hurricane! And it has big winds and it will KILL people! And we can't leave because the wind will BLOW our cars away! And then we will have a tornado, and we will need to put it out with the water hose."

I have told him countless times that we live in TX (north TX) and we don't have to worry about hurricanes. He then asks "why" and I explain.

Don't really know what to do except let him repeat it and say "Yes, you told me that story already."
My3cents 11:20 AM 08-22-2012
you gals are making me laugh!!!

I had the "why" kid.......my own kid!!! He is 23 and still does this, still loves to pull things apart and fix them and figure things out.

I really love go play toys. Wish I knew now what I didn't back then. Thanks for the giggles.
Meyou 11:28 AM 08-22-2012
Did anyone want to know the order and color of the planets from the sun outwards? If so, you can borrow my dcb for the day...or 5 minutes...that should be enough! Or how many chimneys every house on my street has??

No advice but much sympathy. lol
daycarediva 11:39 AM 08-22-2012
hahahaha! I have this kid, it's my son! Drives me nuts, but I just put it back on him. It's better, now that he's 7. "Mom did you know that this planet has 4 moons?" "DS did you know that bananas were .59/lb at the grocery store?" I get these looks a LOT. I am now able to tell him that repeating questions and random facts aren't ok, if someone asks or you can say "Would you like to know what I learned about _____" He is also a kid that will enjoy taking things apart and putting them together.

For your DCB, try putting realistic busy bags together. When ds was young, he was entertained by the flashlight. I would take ALL of the pieces apart and put them in a ziploc with batteries. At 3 1/2 he was able to put it back together and get it working, but it took him a good 30 minutes! Ahhh, 30 minutes of quiet!
dave4him 11:49 AM 08-22-2012
Natural born television announcers
spud912 01:34 PM 08-22-2012
I have a boy like that! I don't need a surveillance camera, I have dcb. When I am out of the room changing diapers or preparing a meal, he reports to me everyone's actions halfway between the playroom and the other room. He also likes to "help" the others. I personally love the help from him, but the other kids get annoyed when he grabs their hands/toys or helps them get up. He is a cutey though. When he is not around, it's way too quiet.
Countrygal 03:57 PM 08-22-2012
ROFL!!! Yep, my 3yo dcb is in this "stage". It is so funny, but sure can be annoying, especially when you're busy trying to get lunch on.

Me: Lunch is almost done! Go potty and wash up!
DCB: Lunch done? Go potty and wash up?
ME: Yes, that's right
DCB: That's right?
ME: Yep, now go wash up!
DCB: Wash up now?
-
-
-
-
ME: (take dcb's hand and lead him toward the bathroom......) What else can I say????

ROFLMHO!!!!
Unregistered 02:43 PM 09-29-2012
I think the biggest problem is that many parents forget that their kids need to be tought social skills, such as manners, and rely on teachers (or DCP's in this case) to teach them. Maybe you can try social skill (a nice way of saying "manners") activities with all of the kids and take this as a learning oppertunity.

* in groups of two, one of the lessions can be about listening to others by having each child have a few minutes to talk about their favorite thing (toy, pet, mom, dad etc.) But the other child has to listen they have to listen and not respond until the person's time is up (about 60-90 seconds) then they can talk about their favorit things. this will teach them how to wait until someone is finished talking; or if you think they are old enough have the child with this repitition phase sit and listen to two kids while they ask and answer each other's questions (or you ask another child questions) and tell him the point is for him to sit there and listen but not to give any feedback; he is only listening not participating in the conversation.
* you can also try teaching kids how to ask questions and how to only respond if the question or comment is directed at them by saying "what is your favorite color Amy" or "I would like (add "only" if needed) Billy to tell me what his favorite food is" so that way they know it is only for that child to answer.
* You can also teach them about simple manners such as "always ask to be excused before leaving the table" and sneak in "its impolite to interupt adults when their talking (unless its an emergency)" {may need to explain what interupting is}and "It's impolite to repeat what other people say or join in a private conversation unless asked to do so"

Or if you haven't already just get down to his level and in a calm voice tell him:
*"I know that you are really smart and like to help your friends by repeating their questions for me and then repeating back to them as I answer them; but I can hear them fine the 1st time and it may make them feel bad because they may think that I am answering your question not theirs because you asked the question last"
*"I know you are smart and your friends are smart too; when they asked me a question for a reason, if they wanted you to ask me a question they would ask you to before they asked me and I bet it hurts their feelings that you are stopping the answer they are trying to find out quickly just to repeat it when I am about to answer them"
*"I know you are trying to be helpful but everytime you repeat a question another kid wants to know it takes them twice as long to find out because you are stopping me from answering by repeating what they asked and what I already heard"
* ask any children (or your own) to tell this child that they do not like it when they repeat their question and repeat the answer and it hurts their feelings (it may help if you ask a the other children when DCB isn't around "Do you like it when/does it hurt your feelings when DCB..." so its legit)
* even before he restates it by using hand motions such as a "stop!" hand sign and saying "DCB, I can hear them just fine and only I will answer them" and if he disobey's give him 1 warning that it is his only warning and that if he does it again he will get a time out for not listening.
providerandmomof4 05:04 PM 09-29-2012
I have a little guy like. He just turned five so not really repeating, just wants to know everything that's going on around him. What's for lunch? What did you guys do before I got here? What did you guys do last night? At first it was so cute...but recently he's started correcting me It's getting a little nerve wracking to say the least. "My mom says I don't need to drink my milk." I say, "Well, at dc I serve milk because it's good for you." He says, "You should talk to my mom about it and I'll bet she will tell you that too." I say, "I'll be serving milk because that's whats good for you." Forced smile....Friday I had to tell him to stop ordering me around. Lordy kid, I'm the adult here....
cheerfuldom 05:08 PM 09-29-2012
I have a 3 year old like that. I think in her case she is really trying to get attention but very undersocialized. She doesnt seem to know how to get involved in activities or relationships outside of this annoying habit. I hope that with some more time she can outgrow this!
Kaddidle Care 05:48 PM 09-29-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
DD: "Mom, when's lunch?"
DCB: "Miss Silver, DD wants to know when's lunch." (he says this over top of me answering her)
Me: "DD, lunch is very soon."
DCB: "She said it's very soon, DD."

I called him over for the third time today to have a conversation about not needing to repeat everything people say. He is NOT the only one with ears and a mouth, he is NOT the go-between, and he DOES NOT NEED TO REPEAT PEOPLE.

This child, I swear, he is going to get boxed up and sent to Australia if he's not careful. He's up in everyone's business, thinks he needs to speak for everyone and relay all the information anyone ever says, and sometimes really seems to think that he is the sole and only center of the entire universe...and if things don't revolve around him he sulks big time.

Any advice (short of putting him on a slow boat to China) to help him learn to STOP REPEATING?
When you find out, please let me know because you just described my HUSBAND to a T! If I tell my son to do something he says it right after me. While I like the fact that we are on the same page I usually say "Is there an echo in here?"
Abigail 06:10 PM 09-29-2012
I don't have this issue anymore, but whenever it did happen I used the word rude. "Please don't copy what X said, that is rude" or I also use not nice in place of rude now because I have a new 1 year old and they need to learn how to play nice with the little one who can't talk yet but wants to do everything they do so it is "Please be nice and invite X to play".

I treat the kids like young adults and don't play games like doing the same thing back to them. I'll do that when they think it's funny, but not in a teaching moment.

You could also start out with simply addressing the situation on the spot and ask "Why do you keep asking what X asked?" or whatever the situation may have been so they get to think to answer.
Tags:repeating child
Reply Up