Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>why....
Hunni Bee 05:56 PM 12-01-2011
Does it take so long to get coats on? I mean every single time we go outside, everyday...it takes 15-20 minutes for us to get ready. It takes us less time to go potty.

Does anyone have a routine for this? By the time everyone gets coats on, hats on, gloves/mittens on and shoes tied, i don't even feel like going. And its not like i have infants to dress, its mostly older threes and fours.

Ay yi yi.
small_steps 06:01 PM 12-01-2011
Glad I'm not the only one having this issue. I thought I was just a slowpoke. It does take so long to get all the kiddos ready to go outside. Would love to hear any suggestions for what works for other members. Thanks for posting this question.
blueclouds29 06:08 PM 12-01-2011
i have 4 kids... 1 to 2 years old. NOT FUN!!
by the time i bundle of the last child, the first child is undressing! LOL
like you said, then i don't feel like going out by the time we are down bundling up!! Argh...
SilverSabre25 06:49 PM 12-01-2011
The kids who can/will dress themselves get instructed to start working on that. I get the baby totally dressed and put him out on the front porch sitting in the stroller, facing the door. We have a glass door that I close, but I can still see him. I dress the next oldest kid and send them out to stand by the stroller. I dress the next kid and send them out to stand by the stroller. I help the older two finish dressing and send them out to stand by the stroller. I grab my own coat and toss it on, then finish getting myself ready once I'm out the door.

I have a very, VERY tiny entry though so this is the best way I have found to get 4 kids plus an infant ready in the small space.
cheerfuldom 06:55 PM 12-01-2011
I don't help anyone 3 or over. I hand them their stuff and they all do it themselves. Might help tie a shoe or put mittens on, thats it. Maybe you should work with them on how to at least get a jacket on by themselves, they should be able to do a hat too. Or at least be able to grab their own stuff and hold it while you get them ready, assembly line style.
sahm2three 07:16 PM 12-01-2011
This is one of the activities we have been doing is practicing (while inside and not necessarily planning on going outside, like when we are doing circle time and talking about the cold weather) putting our winter gear on. Even the older 1 year olds. They put their hats on, coats, and attempt at their gloves. But yeah, going outside is a total PITA!
Meyou 02:46 AM 12-02-2011
Everyone 3 and older gets dressed themselves while I dress the baby and send the middle aged kids to get their stuff. This keeps them busy. Then I dress the next youngest and help the 2.5 year old finish up and we're out. I do plan for 15 minutes to dress every time we go out so we're not pressed for time. We can usually do it in 10 minutes with snowpants.
Tags:coats, cold weather clothing, winter
Reply Up