Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Has Been Asleep All Day
ihop 11:09 AM 02-19-2014
Dcg, 3, arrived at 730 this morning looking very tired. She played for about a half hour and asked me to get out her nap mat so she could rest. She has been asleep ever since. Its after 11 now. She was coughing yesterday and is coughing in her sleep. I just checked her temperature and its normal. While I was checking her she woke up and looked at me, I said hi, and she went back to sleep. She is out cold amid all of the chaos. She isn't interrupting our day or anything and I do exclude for inability to participate but she would be going home to the young babysitter who couldn't do much for her anyway.

Wwyd? Let her sleep all day? Call for pick up.?
daycare 11:23 AM 02-19-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
Dcg, 3, arrived at 730 this morning looking very tired. She played for about a half hour and asked me to get out her nap mat so she could rest. She has been asleep ever since. Its after 11 now. She was coughing yesterday and is coughing in her sleep. I just checked her temperature and its normal. While I was checking her she woke up and looked at me, I said hi, and she went back to sleep. She is out cold amid all of the chaos. She isn't interrupting our day or anything and I do exclude for inability to participate but she would be going home to the young babysitter who couldn't do much for her anyway.

if you can let her sleep without is causing any issues with your program then let her sleep it off. I have here like that today too. Since it's raining out we are not going anywhere,so letting her sleep is no issue.

BUT if she is loud and awake at nap time, I will be calling mom to come pickup.
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 02-19-2014

Is it normal for her to want to sleep so much? Did parent say anything at drop off about her having a rough night sleeping at all?

I don't know, but even without a temp, wanting to sleep literally ALL day would be a huge red flag to me.

She could be coming down with (or already have) something that could be contagious.

I have several kids who don't always get a fever when sick.

I agree about the teenage sitter not really doing anything more than you are other than keeping her separate from others for fear of possible spread.

Have you talked with the mom at all about this?

I've had kid who have been a little "extra" sleepy sometimes and wanting to lay down to rest but never all day or for more than a little bit....kwim?
SilverSabre25 11:40 AM 02-19-2014
I would give mom a heads up on the situation, see if you get any extra information from her.

Other bet would be possible growth spurt maybe...
mema 12:06 PM 02-19-2014
I would send her home. A few years back, I slept for 4 days straight. I didn't have a fever. Went to the ER for dehydration and had influenza. Never know, but if she wants to sleep that much, she should be watched.
ihop 12:17 PM 02-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is it normal for her to want to sleep so much? Did parent say anything at drop off about her having a rough night sleeping at all?

I don't know, but even without a temp, wanting to sleep literally ALL day would be a huge red flag to me.

She could be coming down with (or already have) something that could be contagious.

I have several kids who don't always get a fever when sick.

I agree about the teenage sitter not really doing anything more than you are other than keeping her separate from others for fear of possible spread.

Have you talked with the mom at all about this?

I've had kid who have been a little "extra" sleepy sometimes and wanting to lay down to rest but never all day or for more than a little bit....kwim?
She has several older Sa siblings who stay up late to see their dad get home at eleven , she gets to stay up too sometimes. She is always tired. But today she didn't eat breakfast and just slept. She woke up right before lunch, ate it all, and is back asleep. She isn't near anyone so I will keep her. If something came up I'd rather her be here with me then the sitter. I text mom but didn't hear back. I guess ill keep her, its probably calmer here anyway.

Thanks everyone for the input. If she is like this tomorrow as well after all that rest, I will definitely send her home.
daycare 12:24 PM 02-19-2014
She has several older Sa siblings who stay up late to see their dad get home at eleven , she gets to stay up too sometimes. She is always tired. But today she didn't eat breakfast and just slept. She woke up right before lunch, ate it all, and is back asleep. She isn't near anyone so I will keep her. If something came up I'd rather her be here with me then the sitter. I text mom but didn't hear back. I guess ill keep her, its probably calmer here anyway.

Thanks everyone for the input. If she is like this tomorrow as well after all that rest, I will definitely send her home.
I just text my DCM telling her that DCK refused food again and went back to sleep. I am sending her home now, because she was like this yesterday
Reply Up