Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Mean ....HAHAHA
KBCsMommy 08:23 AM 11-18-2015
DCM arrives with oldest of sibling set in her pajamas. I ask where is littlest sibling she says she's keeping him home bc he was up really late. She's also staying home.

I tell her .... Well why don't you keep oldest sibling home too since you have been complaining you never get to spend time with the kids (blank stare and smile!)....

She agrees and takes her back home....

These are my worst 2 dc kids, I feel terrible about it!!!

Flame me!! I'm mean!!!!
childcaremom 08:27 AM 11-18-2015
Maybe. If by mean you meant Mean Genius.

Ha!
Thriftylady 08:28 AM 11-18-2015
Wow! Good for you!
KBCsMommy 08:36 AM 11-18-2015
Sometimes I want to tell these young parents "I know...It's hard being a mommy and daddy!"
nannyde 08:56 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
DCM arrives with oldest of sibling set in her pajamas. I ask where is littlest sibling she says she's keeping him home bc he was up really late. She's also staying home.

I tell her .... Well why don't you keep oldest sibling home too since you have been complaining you never get to spend time with the kids (blank stare and smile!)....

Flame me!! I'm mean!!!!
The younger one is sick.
KBCsMommy 09:03 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The younger one is sick.
I agree with you!
mommiebookworm 09:59 AM 11-18-2015
You're awesome!!!
Fiddlesticks 10:01 AM 11-18-2015
The younger one is sick.
Yep. I had one stay home yesterday with dad "just because" but his sister came here. Then today he was here 15 minutes before I called for pickup because he has a 101.5 temp.
Haven 10:02 AM 11-18-2015
Good job!
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:04 AM 11-18-2015
The younger one is sick.
Yep. I would be asking the older one questions about that tomorrow, just for my own knowledge.

I've minced my words to my DCFs along this topic, but I've NEVER had one take the child back with them. Perhaps I ought to be more direct...
nannyde 11:13 AM 11-18-2015
I agree with you!
The sad thing is she thinks she invented this one.

Seriously I have never had a kid kept home because he was tired. The odds of that with a sib in a siblings group where they bring the other sib? Like one in a gigabazzilion.

How I long for a parent to come up with something unique.

Come on fellow providers.... please share one that is truly special and unique...

I beg thee
Play Care 11:21 AM 11-18-2015

Flame me!! I'm mean!!!!
I'm just shocked that she took the other child back home! I bet he was acting off in the car and when you said that she probably though better to just bring them back home then risk leaving child there and having to come back out in a couple of hours to get them
Mad_Pistachio 11:32 AM 11-18-2015
Seriously I have never had a kid kept home because he was tired.
I'm an odd Mom out: I've done that once. we just started the daycare (2-3 weeks into), and normally, she'd wake up by 7-7.30, but she kept sleeping. when she wasn't up by 8, I sent my husband to work. she woke up at 9.30 (I was one lucky mama that day, I guess), and I was just like, screw that... texted the director that we'll be back tomorrow cause she overslept. I could not bring myself to wake her up.
and once I kept her home because her nose was runny. I mean, like, sneeze-snot-5-yards-down runny, all night. no one slept that night, she kept sneezing and waking up... same thing, ah, screw that, stay home. no fever, no cough, nothing, just A LOT of snot.

watch my song change when I have more than just one easy child
nannyde 11:46 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'm just shocked that she took the other child back home! I bet he was acting off in the car and when you said that she probably though better to just bring them back home then risk leaving child there and having to come back out in a couple of hours to get them
He probably puked in the car.
nannyde 11:48 AM 11-18-2015
He probably puked in the car.
Or the advil hadn't kicked in yet.
nannyde 11:49 AM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I'm an odd Mom out: I've done that once. we just started the daycare (2-3 weeks into), and normally, she'd wake up by 7-7.30, but she kept sleeping. when she wasn't up by 8, I sent my husband to work. she woke up at 9.30 (I was one lucky mama that day, I guess), and I was just like, screw that... texted the director that we'll be back tomorrow cause she overslept. I could not bring myself to wake her up.
and once I kept her home because her nose was runny. I mean, like, sneeze-snot-5-yards-down runny, all night. no one slept that night, she kept sneezing and waking up... same thing, ah, screw that, stay home. no fever, no cough, nothing, just A LOT of snot.

I would need that in writing and notarized by your center before I could consider it

Lightning... it's real and it does strike
Blackcat31 11:51 AM 11-18-2015
I thought she only brought one kid?

Wasnt the other already staying home?

Maybe I read OP wrong? Its been one of those days...
Play Care 12:08 PM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I thought she only brought one kid?

Wasnt the other already staying home?

Maybe I read OP wrong? Its been one of those days...
No, I meant that I was surprised she took the child she brought back home, but didn't write it out the right way
Mad_Pistachio 12:08 PM 11-18-2015
I would need that in writing and notarized by your center before I could consider it

Lightning... it's real and it does strike
I'd ask the director, but she probably doesn't remember. I remember she didn't sound all too surprised, so maybe she has more of those "50 grams and no school" type parents although, the client I canceled because of a snotty night may, I'm not sure... cause I called and in a panicky voice said, "I can't come, [name] is sick, no one slept last night, she's staying home!" (and God knows, I wanted to sleep, too, and not scrub someone's toilets for 3-4 hours.)
Thriftylady 12:13 PM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:

I could have seen me doing that when mine were little if I could have afforded the time off work. But you can bet my backside I would have been back in bed until little one woke up also!
nannyde 12:24 PM 11-18-2015
No, I meant that I was surprised she took the child she brought back home, but didn't write it out the right way
So the "tired" kid was up and in the car and she just brought in the school ager in her jammies? Hmmmm methinks she was up all night cleaning puke.

I'd be grilling the six year old like a cheese sammich first thing in the morning. After years of binge watching Forensic Files, I'm a near expert in interrogation technique.
Baby Beluga 12:56 PM 11-18-2015
So the "tired" kid was up and in the car and she just brought in the school ager in her jammies? Hmmmm methinks she was up all night cleaning puke.

I'd be grilling the six year old like a cheese sammich first thing in the morning. After years of binge watching Forensic Files, I'm a near expert in interrogation technique.
I think I just spit water on my screen.
Play Care 01:17 PM 11-18-2015

Oh I agree the child that was staying home initially was most likely sick. Probably mom thought she'd drop the healthy child off and maybe get back to bed. When the OP called her out, she prolly thought "S*%!T !!!! I can't change my story now!" Because really, if the other child was truly just tired, why not every one sleep in and bring them in later (if allowed by DCP)
KBCsMommy 02:07 PM 11-18-2015
You ladies totally called it!!

I texted her how dcb was and she said he was up all night coughing. He's getting a cold.

I would of loved to grill the older sibling but she's only 2 so she probably would of given random answers!

The siblings are 8 months and 2.5 ..... she was doing what was easiest for herself!

I was honestly waiting for her to say he was teething
Oh wait that will be next week!!
Unregistered 02:18 PM 11-18-2015

I texted her how dcb was and she said he was up all night coughing. He's getting a cold.

I would of loved to grill the older sibling but she's only 2 so she probably would of given random answers!

The siblings are 8 months and 2.5 ..... she was doing what was easiest for herself!

I have a grumpy infant here and he is always "teething"... he didn't get a tooth until 1 year! I just stopped telling dcm. So sick of excuses!
nannyde 02:57 PM 11-18-2015

I don't know where I got the older one was six?

Yeah 2.5 is a little young to get info.

I'm still going with puke as in "he's coughing so hard he's puking" puke. She laid down the foundation for that one.

I would be on red alert for both of them tomorrow being sick. Ask her point blank if either of them have had meds within the last 24 hours. There's no over the counter cough syrup so any cough medicine is either tylenol meds, advil, or benadryl meds.

If they have had any meds refuse them at the door.

It's a rare parent who will keep a kid home for a cough even if it's bad.... unless there are other unhideable symptoms like fever and vomit.
Mad_Pistachio 06:51 PM 11-18-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I could have seen me doing that when mine were little if I could have afforded the time off work. But you can bet my backside I would have been back in bed until little one woke up also!
I had a "job" but this was not a part of it, it was more like "can you come clean?" (no, I can't).
I ended up giving her a half-dose of Benadryl, and off to the Morpheus' kingdom we both went...
Sugaree 06:05 AM 11-19-2015
Is it normal to have a policy in place to refuse all siblings if one is sick?
lovemykidstoo 06:17 AM 11-19-2015
Please don't flame me, but I honestly don't see what the problem is. Trust me, I totally get it's your worst family and it would be nice to have both kids stay home and give ya a break, I really get that, but if one child was up alot during the night for whatever reason and the mom is beat and the other child is healthy, why not bring him/her? Maybe the mom needs to rest because she was up all night? Or did I not read it right? Again, I don't mean to be snarky, but just trying to understand the situation. If it's because you think the one child is sick and the other one may come down with it too, I mean all of the kids could come down with something from anywhere.
Play Care 06:33 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Please don't flame me, but I honestly don't see what the problem is. Trust me, I totally get it's your worst family and it would be nice to have both kids stay home and give ya a break, I really get that, but if one child was up alot during the night for whatever reason and the mom is beat and the other child is healthy, why not bring him/her? Maybe the mom needs to rest because she was up all night? Or did I not read it right? Again, I don't mean to be snarky, but just trying to understand the situation. If it's because you think the one child is sick and the other one may come down with it too, I mean all of the kids could come down with something from anywhere.
I agree. I can't imagine much quality time was going on if mom's original story was true (i.e. Child was just up late and she and child were staying home and chilling) or even in the more likely case that the other child was sick and mom had been up all night with them.

But even with as great as clients I have they do tend to "fib" about illness and the severity so that was the part that made me
Play Care 06:34 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
Currently I don't have that policy. But it's probably one of those ones that depends on the clients. If you have a family who frequently "fibs" about illnesses and the severity you're more likely to put something like that in place to protect the other kids. But I wouldn't say it's standard.
Fiddlesticks 06:43 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
From what I understood, the mother did not initially say the child staying home was up all night coughing, just that the child was up late and she was staying home anyway…. Had the mother said child one was ill, I am sure OP would not have responded as she did. I posted that I had one child stay home "just because" while his sibling came to daycare, and the next morning I sent him home with a fever. He obviously stayed home the first day because he was sick, not "just because" but the parents don't want to follow the 24 hour rule. So, instead he is out again today because he was sick here yesterday. The mother in the original post was trying to hide the fact that the child was ill, so instead she made it look like she was just going to spend the day with her well child, why not spend the day with both of your well children? Parents just need to be honest.
lovemykidstoo 07:12 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
From what I understood, the mother did not initially say the child staying home was up all night coughing, just that the child was up late and she was staying home anyway…. Had the mother said child one was ill, I am sure OP would not have responded as she did. I posted that I had one child stay home "just because" while his sibling came to daycare, and the next morning I sent him home with a fever. He obviously stayed home the first day because he was sick, not "just because" but the parents don't want to follow the 24 hour rule. So, instead he is out again today because he was sick here yesterday. The mother in the original post was trying to hide the fact that the child was ill, so instead she made it look like she was just going to spend the day with her well child, why not spend the day with both of your well children? Parents just need to be honest.
Oh I completely understand your point of view. I agree some parents will fib an illness to get around the 24 hr rule most definitely. I actually just had a family keep 1 child home yesterday and bring 1 child actually. The child that stayed home helped dad get moms birthday present ready to surprise her and the younger one came here. Luckily, I get paid no matter if they're here or not, so I got paid for both kids yea! Sometimes parents do want to give 1 on 1 time with their kids too. Of course you get the parents that take advantage or feed us a line of bs, but sometimes I think it's ok to keep just 1 home.
Fiddlesticks 07:21 AM 11-19-2015
I have had parents keep one child home for some special time, especially the older child when the sibling is an infant. I have never had a parent keep the youngest child home for special time and not the older sibling (us poor youngest children!) But it has always been planned---"FYI: I am keeping *dck* home on Friday so we can *do something fun*" I have never had a parent show up at the door with just one child because that morning they decided to spend quality time with the other child. The other child has always been ill on those occasions, and to my dcps credit, they are honest about that 90% of the time.
lovemykidstoo 07:24 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I have had parents keep one child home for some special time, especially the older child when the sibling is an infant. I have never had a parent keep the youngest child home for special time and not the older sibling (us poor youngest children!) But it has always been planned---"FYI: I am keeping *dck* home on Friday so we can *do something fun*" I have never had a parent show up at the door with just one child because that morning they decided to spend quality time with the other child. The other child has always been ill on those occasions, and to my dcps credit, they are honest about that 90% of the time.
I know, why do they never keep the younger one home? lol ! I know it's weird, but honestly I just had it yesterday with the family I wrote about above. He was supposed to come after preschool at noon and at 11:30 dad texted and said he was keeping him to do the birthday surprise for mom.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:31 AM 11-19-2015
I have this policy for contagious illnesses. My kids always get whatever the other one gets. Right now, we are on day four of a stomach bug. Started with me, went to my daughter, then to my son. My husband is the only one to not get...so far
Sugaree 08:06 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I have this policy for contagious illnesses. My kids always get whatever the other one gets. Right now, we are on day four of a stomach bug. Started with me, went to my daughter, then to my son. My husband is the only one to not get...so far
That makes sense. But I can definitely see where staying home while mom is busy taking care of a sick sibling would be not fun for a kid who isn't sick yet. I was just kind of curious as to why mom would lie about kid being sick vs up late.

Although, up late is generally a sign my kid is getting sick. He didn't sleep well the night before last. Hyper and wanted to play all night. Sure enough, he started running a fever last night (and still up at 2 a.m. wanting to play). Luckily, DH didn't have class or clinicals today.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:59 AM 11-19-2015
That makes sense. But I can definitely see where staying home while mom is busy taking care of a sick sibling would be not fun for a kid who isn't sick yet. I was just kind of curious as to why mom would lie about kid being sick vs up late.

Although, up late is generally a sign my kid is getting sick. He didn't sleep well the night before last. Hyper and wanted to play all night. Sure enough, he started running a fever last night (and still up at 2 a.m. wanting to play). Luckily, DH didn't have class or clinicals today.
I think parents lie or don't tell the whole truth about it because they want to keep an "out" of sorts. If they just say their little one is tired and needs a day at home, then it seems like no big deal, but if they say little Jimmy was up all night coughing, then they may have to follow that up with possibly more sick days, a doctor visit, meds, ect. They don't want to go there unless they HAVE to, imo.
nannyde 09:11 AM 11-19-2015

Having a kid stay up late as a precursor to getting sick may be common but a parent keeping a kid home from paid daycare for it would be VERY rare.

Now if the provider allows unpaid days off then YES the tired scenario would be common.
Tags:funny
Reply Up