Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going Back to School
Country Kids 09:52 AM 01-31-2018
So I've been mulling the idea of going back to school and get my associates in ECE. The reason is for when I "retire" I will be able to a degree to still work in the field but outside of my home. Just doing some research, I'm finding most ECE jobs are requiring a degree. Then I worry I will do all this but be unhirable due to my age by that time. I've worked in home for 20.5 years so this is a big step and I'm trying to look at it from all angles.

The classes are at night but start before I get off which I guess happens to a lot of people in these classes and you just need to explain this to the instructors and hope you don't miss to much class time.

To complete this degree in two years, classes are four nights a week-5:00-9:00 with each term being 15-17 credits. This is where I'm stuck. I don't know about going four nights a week. I could do less but it means it taking longer to get my degree done (three to four years) and being that much older when I graduate. Taking four classes though means being gone four nights a week for two years, so missing lots of family things and not being able to get that back. Also, I'm not sure about the homework-I won't be able to get it done during the day with working 10.5 hours so that would more than likely mean weekends would be homework time, plus getting everything ready for the next week for childcare which takes a ton of time as it is now. I would also be going from 6:00 in the morning to 9:00 at night those four nights.

Then there is the cost, not wanting to take on student loans at my age and be trying to pay off during my retirement years.

So has anyone gone back to school and done it this way or have you taken your time and took a little longer. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me
Ariana 10:05 AM 01-31-2018
I am in a similar situation. Currently working on my degree (I am already an ECE) and it is taking me a long time. I do one course a semester. I can’t handle anymore than that and the university I go to doesn’t offer any distance education. I have now found a great university that has everything online so I have been thinking about transferring my credits. I can get it done faster if I don’t have to be on campus.

Is doing it online an option? I think you’d have a much better chance of getting it done faster. Also I think having your ECE will benefit you greatly in terms of jobs or even restructuring your current home daycare to a preschool. For me I am not sure a degree is worth it and I just do it mostly to keep my brain active.
Country Kids 10:15 AM 01-31-2018
The only online I know about would be through our local Union. The schooling would be free as long as I pay the $35 a month Union fee. I'm not sure about online though as I know I do better in a classroom structure, especially for questions and such.

I'm mainly doing it to have in case I ever work outside the home. I already have a preschool set up and I've always done preschool activities ever since I opened.
CityGarden 10:17 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I am in a similar situation. Currently working on my degree (I am already an ECE) and it is taking me a long time. I do one course a semester. I can’t handle anymore than that and the university I go to doesn’t offer any distance education. I have now found a great university that has everything online so I have been thinking about transferring my credits. I can get it done faster if I don’t have to be on campus.

Is doing it online an option? I think you’d have a much better chance of getting it done faster. Also I think having your ECE will benefit you greatly in terms of jobs or even restructuring your current home daycare to a preschool. For me I am not sure a degree is worth it and I just do it mostly to keep my brain active.
What are you working on a degree toward? I starting taking an online class this winter semester (just because I needed some adult interaction and subject matter)
Ariana 11:11 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
What are you working on a degree toward? I starting taking an online class this winter semester (just because I needed some adult interaction and subject matter)
Currently a child studies degree but am thinking about transferring to an applied science in early education. I am in Canada though! The online program only started last year so I am pretty excited about it. They only accept you if you have an honours degree in ECE which I have so it looks like a good option for me. It would take me two years.
CityGarden 10:16 AM 01-31-2018
Four nights a week is a lot to me! Have you looked into your local community college? The local community college in my area offers a ton of ECE classes online. You could also consider a college a bit away from you with a large offering of online classes....

For my life right now I like online classes - I am able to do classwork / homework during nap time and after work without it impacting my life too much.
Country Kids 10:19 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Four nights a week is a lot to me! Have you looked into your local community college? The local community college in my area offers a ton of ECE classes online. You could also consider a college a bit away from you with a large offering of online classes....

For my life right now I like online classes - I am able to do classwork / homework during nap time and after work without it impacting my life too much.
This is through my local community college and none are offered online.

I always have one-three kiddo's that do not sleep during naptime so I'm unable to get anything done during that time. So I would still be having to do it in the evenings.
Annalee 10:50 AM 01-31-2018
I completed my AS ECE degree mostly online. I only attended 8 classes for 60 AS degree hours + 12 CDA hours. My classes were in the evening that I attended. I took two classes at a time even in the summer. It took over 5 years to complete but I did it. I then transferred to a four year college for my BS but there is not any offered online, and it is almost two hours away with no night classes that I need so I stopped with my AS. I have re-enrolled for Fall 2018 at the community college again, however to take another ECE class for renewal of my CDA. I love taking classes. The AS ECE required the math/sciences/etc which was a challenge but I LOVED the challenge. The AAS ECE is mostly ECE classes. You could meet with a local College ECE advisor to learn your options. Also to be accepted into the four year college I had to pass the PRAXIS which I did and that was a doozy.
Cat Herder 11:01 AM 01-31-2018
My classes started before I closed, too, and my mentor told me the same thing they told you. That the professor would work with you. The problem was the school has their own policy and I was not told until after I paid. Mine was 2 absences and a fail, door locked at the beginning of class, no exceptions.

Be sure to email the professor first. I wish I had.
Annalee 11:06 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My classes started before I closed, too, and my mentor told me the same thing they told you. That the professor would work with you. The problem was the school has their own policy and I was not told until after I paid. Mine was 2 absences and a fail, door locked at the beginning of class, no exceptions.

Be sure to email the professor first. I wish I had.
My ECE class professors worked with providers like this but the other classes would not.
Blackcat31 11:18 AM 01-31-2018
I completed my degree entirely on-line.
I'd look for a college that offers distance learning.

Most don't require you to ever physically step foot on campus.

As for costs, does your QRIS program and/or your local Child Care Resource and Referral agency offer any type of grants for professional development?

My local CCR&R has a TEACH grant that pays for a large portion of tuition, books, travel and substitute costs for providers working towards their associates and/or Bachelor's degree. I recommend checking with them to see.
Annalee 11:20 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

As for costs, does your QRIS program and/or your local Child Care Resource and Referral agency offer any type of grants for professional development?

My local CCR&R has a TEACH grant that pays for a large portion of tuition, books, travel and substitute costs for providers working towards their associates and/or Bachelor's degree. I recommend checking with them to see.
There is education assistance help here but they dictate which college can be used.
Country Kids 11:25 AM 01-31-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

The one that they offer, I'm to high up on the registry for. They offer I guess to those who are just starting up their education (have no previous college)? The books would be paid for though if I take the classes at our local community college.

I could go for free to on online college that is in Ohio but I have to join our Union and then pay $35 dollars a month to the Union. I'm just not sure of joining the Union in order to do that.
Country Kids 11:26 AM 01-31-2018
There is also six practicum classes I would have to take and I'm not sure how I would do that since I work all day in my own childcare?
Tags:back to school, higher education
Reply Up