Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sneakers Only
melissa ann 02:55 PM 04-07-2011
I'm thinking of telling parents that only sneakers will be allowed. I have a boy who just turned 2, not the most graceful and is mean, he comes in cowboy boots. Let me say, 1st it takes me about 10 mins to get them on when we go outside, he can't run in them to play, and he kicks the other kids when he's wearing them.
I"m thinking of saying that with the warmer weather approaching we will be going outside quite a bit, that only sneakers will be permitted. They are easier for children to run, jump etc. Croc-type shoes will be permitted IF when the child runs, their feet do not come out. No flip-flops, dressy shoes or boots. Snow/rain boots are the only exception.
Last summer, sister of above boy, would wear flipflops and she could not walk right in them at all, and when she wore croc-type shoes, they were so big her feet always came out.
Does anybody else have a shoe policy?
nannyde 03:15 PM 04-07-2011
Yes

I provide Keds for all the kids.
MsMe 03:17 PM 04-07-2011
I dont have a formal show policy other then where it states in the dress code that all clothing and shoes need to be age and play app.

If I ever had an issue like this would not hesitate to type up a quick letter to hand out to all the parents saying that play shoes will be required this year.

When I make up letter like this I give tehm to ALL parents so no-one feels singled out and I have them initial one copy for my records and they keep another. It doesnt have to be anythign long and formal. Short and sweet you should prob even be able to fit it on a page three times and can cut them apart!
Evansmom 04:01 PM 04-07-2011
I've been thinking a lot about this too. I have one little girl that now has a huge gash on her face from falling this week while running wearing flip flops. I mean, she's only 2, she doesn't need to wear flip flops! I told the parents, "She doesn't run very well in those shoes." So the next day they sent her in a different pair of flip flops. ugh!
Blackcat31 05:13 PM 04-07-2011
this was a thread topic a week or so ago....

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...light=footwear

alot of different views and valid points. I think it is simply a matter of what works best for you and your families.
mac60 02:43 AM 04-08-2011
I usually send out a letter in the spring about shoes, unfortuanately, half the kids still come in crocs or flip flops, or other inappropriate footwear. I have a Littly Tykes climber, the 4 panel cube one with slide. The kids are not allowed on it with flip flops, and this year, I am adding crocs into that mix. I think this year I will state something like....if you would like to bring a cheap pair of tennis shoes you can leave them here. No crocks or flip flops, sandals that attach around heel only.
SunflowerMama 04:21 AM 04-08-2011
I'm the weirdo here. My kids are barefoot almost all day and I'm right there with them. Hoping not to get flamed here.

I have a 2yr old, 2 3yr olds and the rest are over 4. I really don't mind what the parents send them in (not a huge fan of laces) but when the weather is nice we're almost always barefoot in the yard. We have a very small yard so I always do an inspection before outside time for anything that could be hazardous. We are in Texas so we have warm/nice weather a good portion of the year.

The kids run great barefoot and if they get dirty or muddy I just hose off their feet before heading back inside. I don't ever remember wearing shoes as a kid, unless I was in school and I turned out ok so my kids are the same way.
blueclouds29 04:48 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I'm the weirdo here. My kids are barefoot almost all day and I'm right there with them. Hoping not to get flamed here.

I have a 2yr old, 2 3yr olds and the rest are over 4. I really don't mind what the parents send them in (not a huge fan of laces) but when the weather is nice we're almost always barefoot in the yard. We have a very small yard so I always do an inspection before outside time for anything that could be hazardous. We are in Texas so we have warm/nice weather a good portion of the year.

The kids run great barefoot and if they get dirty or muddy I just hose off their feet before heading back inside. I don't ever remember wearing shoes as a kid, unless I was in school and I turned out ok so my kids are the same way.
I'm there with you! I'd rather be barefooted, shoes and socks take up so much time getting them on everyone including me!! LOL We play on the porch so someone always has something on their feet so we don't get splinters.
QualiTcare 05:04 AM 04-08-2011
i'd hate having to plan my kid's outfits/shoes around the fact that some parents are retarded enough to send a kid in cowboy boots (or own them) and that some kids are so clumsy they'll trip over air.
countrymom 05:25 AM 04-08-2011
barefoot seems to safer than shoes
but I don't allow flip flops, sure I wear them and my older kids may wear them but not the littles. We have them banned at schools too because they are dangerous. I do allow crocs because we play with water alot and they dry so nice I also request velcro runners, if the child can't tie their own shoes then they shouldn't have tie shoes. Also proper fitting shoes would really help, I just can't believe how many parents shove their childrens feet into small shoes even after their kids complain.
MaryPoppins 05:52 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yes

I provide Keds for all the kids.
I would not want my daycare to provide shoes. Does each child get a new pair of shoes? I would hope you're not passing them down.

Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i'd hate having to plan my kid's outfits/shoes around the fact that some parents are retarded enough to send a kid in cowboy boots (or own them) and that some kids are so clumsy they'll trip over air.
Ditto. I guess I feel I'm capable of choosing proper footwear for my children. I'm quite picky about what goes on their feet and would not appreciate someone telling me that they can't wear this or that shoe just because the daycare doesn't like it.
nannyde 07:45 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins:
I would not want my daycare to provide shoes. Does each child get a new pair of shoes? I would hope you're not passing them down.
Oh yay.. I get to learn something new today.

Please tell me why you hope I'm not passing them down?
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 04-08-2011
I'm quite picky about what goes on their feet and would not appreciate someone telling me that they can't wear this or that shoe just because the daycare doesn't like it.
My shoe requirements have zero to do with my personal likes and dislikes and EVERYTHING to do with the safety of the child.
SandeeAR 07:50 AM 04-08-2011

I guess I feel I'm capable of choosing proper footwear for my children. I'm quite picky about what goes on their feet and would not appreciate someone telling me that they can't wear this or that shoe just because the daycare doesn't like it.

You should try having a house full of kids sometime and try putting some of the things parents send for them to play in. Recently after putting a "too big" shoe back on a kid 10 times outside the other day, I let him play in his socks.

As soon as a kid comes in the door the first thing I do is take off their shoes. I place them in the going home bag. No shoes inside my home, they step on each other and hurt the babies that way.
countrymom 09:25 AM 04-08-2011

I must be bad because my children wear each other shoes, heck I can wear my 13 yr old dd's shoes, I see no problem, especially rubber boots, things that are seasonal.
SunflowerMama 09:29 AM 04-08-2011

Originally Posted by countrymom:
I must be bad because my children wear each other shoes, heck I can wear my 13 yr old dd's shoes, I see no problem, especially rubber boots, things that are seasonal.
Bowling alleys would definitely be in trouble.
MaryPoppins 09:59 AM 04-08-2011
WOW...You ladies are such a tough crowd some days. Guess I know now why so many post things unregistered and I guess I won't need to waste any more time here. I've enjoyed your daycare stories, but I really don't enjoy the cattiness of this site so I'm signing off. Enjoy yourselves.
SilverSabre25 10:06 AM 04-08-2011
WOW...You ladies are such a tough crowd some days. Guess I know now why so many post things unregistered and I guess I won't need to waste any more time here. I've enjoyed your daycare stories, but I really don't enjoy the cattiness of this site so I'm signing off. Enjoy yourselves.
no offense, but...someone's sensitive. I didn't detect any cattiness...
DancingQueen 10:06 AM 04-08-2011
I hate shoes for myself and wish I could be barefoot 24/7
but in my yard they run the risk of stepping in chicken poo LOL or worse - I have an english Mastiff!!! LOL

My new pet peeve is laces. I would like velcro sneakers all around!

I actually used to send my daughter in crocs when she went to daycare. They never came off her feet and were a hell of a lot safer than all those prissy girly sandals I saw everyoen else's kid wearing
SunflowerMama 10:12 AM 04-08-2011
I hope my comment didn't offend you. I was just joking about the bowling alleys. That's just the first thing I thought of when everyone started talking about sharing shoes.
lil angels 10:15 AM 04-08-2011
I just sent home a note saying that with summer coming and we will be outside a lot NO flip flop please sandals with buckels are ok but tennis shoes are best thanks.
DancingQueen 10:16 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by :
sandals with buckels are ok
You guys are all OK with open toes?
SunflowerMama 10:25 AM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
You guys are all OK with open toes?
When I worked for a center they were closed toe all year round but there were also a lot of opportunities for little toes to get stuck (trikes, push toys, fences, etc.). My backyard is so small I only have room for one small climbing structure with a slide, a few balls, parachute, bean bags, flower and veggie gardens and a lot of imagination. So I'm ok, and their parents are ok with them being shoeless out there. I do understand why centers/homes would require closed toe but luckily my families are all pretty laid back so we let those piggies breath!
nannyde 10:47 AM 04-08-2011
So you don't HAVE an answer to why you "hope" I'm not "passing the shoes down"?
Crystal 11:43 AM 04-08-2011
I don't allow open toed shoes. Several years ago, I had a little boy who repeatedly smashed his toes in the doors. I put an end to open toed shoes. I STRONGLY discourage sandals, but allow them. When they wear sandals they get pea gravel and bark chips in them and it hurts their feet. If I have a child who regularly wears sandals, I have the parent leave a pair of tennies here so I can change them when we play outside.

Nan...no offense, but I wouldn't want my kid wearing used shoes. I am sure you are fine as you are clean and all, but I'd be concerned about athlete's foot (yes I have had kids with that) and feet make impressions in shoes, it's not likely to be an issue, but wearing used shoes could be bad for their foot development and walking. I actually read about that somewhere before, I'll see if I can find a link.
kidkair 12:06 PM 04-08-2011
I simply deal with whatever the parent sends for footwear. In the warmer months I choose to play barefoot and allow all the kids to choose that as well. It makes going in and out much easier. I work hard during April to be sure to get rid of any rocks, sticks or other things that are not barefoot safe so by May we can just dash outside barefoot.
Crystal 12:10 PM 04-08-2011
This isn't the article I originally read about second-hand shoes, but it's similiar:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ur.html?cat=25

Knowing Nan though, I am SURE she makes sure that the shoes correctly fit and are not overly worn out before she puts them on her kids
nannyde 12:21 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I don't allow open toed shoes. Several years ago, I had a little boy who repeatedly smashed his toes in the doors. I put an end to open toed shoes. I STRONGLY discourage sandals, but allow them. When they wear sandals they get pea gravel and bark chips in them and it hurts their feet. If I have a child who regularly wears sandals, I have the parent leave a pair of tennies here so I can change them when we play outside.

Nan...no offense, but I wouldn't want my kid wearing used shoes. I am sure you are fine as you are clean and all, but I'd be concerned about athlete's foot (yes I have had kids with that) and feet make impressions in shoes, it's not likely to be an issue, but wearing used shoes could be bad for their foot development and walking. I actually read about that somewhere before, I'll see if I can find a link.
Nah... they only wear their pair and then they are washed and put back into the stock. They never share a pair of shoes at the same time. There's no chance at all that they could pass any kind of virus. They have socks on and they are washed in hot water and dried before going back into stock. There is litterally NO risk whatsover that they could pass anything to each other.

I've also never had a kid with athletes foot in my career.

Any time the shoes show any kind of wear they are discarded. I have two pairs of each size so even if I happen to get two kids in the same size, I'm good.

System works great. They ONLY wear them on the walks so it would take YEARS of wear before they would need to be tossed. We keep the underneath sole grids clean and keep the velcro cleaned out. We also walk on the sidewalk... not on grass so they are easy to wash up.

I don't have any kids with any feet problems. If they had anything unusual about their feet I would have the parents supply them. Not only is it okay for them to use the same shoes as the ones before but they even pass down shoes to each other if they get a pair that has little wear.

I've never had a complaint about it. They LOVE it. The kids love the high quality footwear that fits and is SAFE EVERY SINGLE DAY and the parents like to put whatever they want on their kids every day.
Crystal 12:26 PM 04-08-2011
Oh, I KNEW you'd properly care for the shoes and make sure they fit well. Curious though....you said they only wear the Keds on walks, what about when playing outside?

Yeah, athlete's foot....yuck huh? I've had a couple of kids over the years who have had it....one was due to a lack of hygiene, the other was because the poor little guys feet were ALWAYS sweaty, even in the winter, so Mom had to start using antifungal RELIGIOUSLY!!!
nannyde 12:45 PM 04-08-2011
Here's my current stock of size six thru twelve

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=122398562

I have a shoe sizer to make sure I have the right size!!!!!!!
nannyde 12:55 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Oh, I KNEW you'd properly care for the shoes and make sure they fit well. Curious though....you said they only wear the Keds on walks, what about when playing outside?

Yeah, athlete's foot....yuck huh? I've had a couple of kids over the years who have had it....one was due to a lack of hygiene, the other was because the poor little guys feet were ALWAYS sweaty, even in the winter, so Mom had to start using antifungal RELIGIOUSLY!!!
Yes we just do walks every day. Works best with my current group. I don't have an outdoor play area on my property.

We just tool the hood for a hike every day.
Tags:shoe type, shoes, sneakers
Reply Up