Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>ELL/New Kiddo
Hunni Bee 06:21 AM 03-30-2017
I have new dcg who speaks no English, only Chinese as afar as I can tell (her parents don't either). She's sweet as pie.

In order to tell her things, I've been using Google Translate but I just feel weird blaring Chinese at her with my phone. But it really can't be avoided.

Any tips for trying to make it feel less strange? I've been been doing lots of smiling and gesturing lol
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I have new dcg who speaks no English, only Chinese as afar as I can tell (her parents don't either). She's sweet as pie.

In order to tell her things, I've been using Google Translate but I just feel weird blaring Chinese at her with my phone. But it really can't be avoided.

Any tips for trying to make it feel less strange? I've been been doing lots of smiling and gesturing lol
I wonder if you could try sign language for simple words....

Not too long ago I visited a classroom where there was a little guy about 4 that spoke no English. He spoke only Anishinabe (he was Native American) and it is one of THE hardest languages to translate, let alone learn...

Anways, I noticed he had a ring with laminated cards with photos/pictures on them. When he wanted a drink or needed 'help' with something he would locate the correct card using the visual printed on the card (both the English word and the Anishinabe word were also printed on the card) and he would use those cards to "tell" the teachers and other kids what he needed or wanted.

It was a super useful method of helping the staff understand his needs and was helpful for him as well as it eliminated the frustration of not being understood.

Could you maybe make a bunch of laminated cards like that so that she can visually tell you she needs a drink or needs to use the bathroom etc?
Hunni Bee 06:38 AM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I wonder if you could try sign language for simple words....

Not too long ago I visited a classroom where there was a little guy about 4 that spoke no English. He spoke only Anishinabe (he was Native American) and it is one of THE hardest languages to translate, let alone learn...

Anways, I noticed he had a ring with laminated cards with photos/pictures on them. When he wanted a drink or needed 'help' with something he would locate the correct card using the visual printed on the card (both the English word and the Anishinabe word were also printed on the card) and he would use those cards to "tell" the teachers and other kids what he needed or wanted.

It was a super useful method of helping the staff understand his needs and was helpful for him as well as it eliminated the frustration of not being understood.

Could you maybe make a bunch of laminated cards like that so that she can visually tell you she needs a drink or needs to use the bathroom etc?
Yes that is super helpful. Thank you. She can answer simple yes/no questions, I've found.
debbiedoeszip 08:02 AM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

I have a 2yo dcg who spoke nothing but French when she started. I just talked and gestured a lot, and though she still doesn't speak much English I can tell that she understands most of what I say to her so she's learning (what her parents want; I actually speak a bit of French but refrain from using it with her). I love the idea of the laminated picture cards.
daycarediva 09:44 AM 03-30-2017
Label objects with both english and chinese, laminated cards, maybe even teach the kids some basic chinese words so that they can interact with her as well.
Hunni Bee 11:18 AM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Label objects with both english and chinese, laminated cards, maybe even teach the kids some basic chinese words so that they can interact with her as well.
All of this in the works. Thanks ma'am
Sunchimes 01:38 PM 03-30-2017
One of my dcms brought me a book this week written by her friend. The author uses sign language to teach ESL kids. I do baby signs here, and the book is great. After the kids leave, I'll post the title.
Tags:chinese child, language barrier
Reply Up