Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Endless Goodbyes
lovemykidstoo 05:27 AM 09-07-2018
One of my moms (first one here) comes exactly at 7:30 when I open. Comes in with her baby (12 months) and holds him and talks to me about mundane things which I reply very little, because i try to keep it short. She then holds her baby and tickles him, tries to show me his tricks, kisses him etc for about 8 to 10 minutes per morning. I just stand there and stare at them. I always pray for another child to come so I can start our day. Sometimes my 2nd child will come and she can see how fast he drops off. If you want to play with your baby, stay home an extra few minutes. ugh! Then when dad picks up he awkwardly stands there and holds the baby and doesn't say a whole lot of anything unless I start a conversation. He honestly stands there and holds him and it's terrible silence unless I say something. I hate it. I've been keeping the kids in the playroom the last couple of days and just bringing baby out when dad comes and passing him off and saying, well gotta go, can't leave them in there by themselves. Which works, but then yesterday the kids were right there with me and it was back to square one. help!
Cat Herder 05:42 AM 09-07-2018
Time for buh-bye outside.

This was my advice in 2012, still applies today.

"Switch to the Buh-Bye Outside Program.

AKA, Kiss-N-Go. Been around and effective since the 70's.

Lock doors, have children dressed and ready to go home....then meet them at the door.

Simple solution. Works wonders. Adults should never have access to other peoples children unless they are on the pick-up list."
lovemykidstoo 05:46 AM 09-07-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Time for buh-bye outside.

This was my advice in 2012, still applies today.

"Switch to the Buh-Bye Outside Program.

AKA, Kiss-N-Go. Been around and effective since the 70's.

Lock doors, have children dressed and ready to go home....then meet them at the door.

Simple solution. Works wonders. Adults should never have access to other peoples children unless they are on the pick-up list."
Oh yea, I've done the bye bye outside tons of times for kids that start throwing fits during drop off. It's nearly impossible for people to not see the other kids. The way my house is set up, you can see the living room and dining room by standing 1 foot inside the front door.
Cat Herder 05:55 AM 09-07-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Oh yea, I've done the bye bye outside tons of times for kids that start throwing fits during drop off. It's nearly impossible for people to not see the other kids. The way my house is set up, you can see the living room and dining room by standing 1 foot inside the front door.
My clients wait on the front porch for me to bring them out. There is a camera and a driveway alarm that lets me know they are here. Most have the same schedule daily so I simply have their child ready to go and walk them out to their parent.

If they want to see the playroom workings without disruption they can watch discretely from the HUGE window in the very center of it on their way to the front porch or from the monitor in my living room (for behavioral plans ) while I do an activity with the group. A quick text to request and it is easy to manage, as long as their child does not see them. (The playroom is completely separate from my living areas)

If they want to tour the playroom to see and touch they can schedule a conference to do so and go over their concerns. I don't let parents have physical access to other peoples kids.
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 09-07-2018
I've found that parents hear you but they don't "listen".

Instead of saying anything or dropping hints that you have things to do or that mom/dad need to get to work, physically take the baby, say "Wave goodbye to mommy! Have a nice day!" and then turn around and walk in the opposite direction.

.....even if that means going to stand in the corner of the living room where the parent can't see you. Walk away.

The parent usually leaves immediately. Rinse and repeat.

I've found my body language actually gets the point across much better and much more clearly than words at times.
Snowmom 06:17 AM 09-07-2018
This is how my morning with mom would go:

Mom: walks in gushing on baby
Me: walks over to entrance, hold out my hands, "ok, I'm ready for Sally." Hold baby on one hip, open front door, "See you later mom. Have a good day."

Mom: "Oh, Sally, can I get one more kiss and snuggle?"
Me: "We need to start our day, she'll save extra snuggles for you this afternoon. Bye."

If it lingered after that, she'd need a blunt "Drop offs and pick ups need to be quick. It creates unneeded stress for the child to prolong your departure and keeps me from my duties. If you need extra time to say goodbye, please do so outside. Thank you for understanding."
MomBoss 07:06 AM 09-07-2018
For the dad that awkwardly lingers..i have a dad like that , he stands there like he wants to say something but doesnt know what to say. So what i say is “DCB had a good day! *looks at dcb* ill see you tomorrow, have a good night!”
And then i turn around and go back to the other children.
Kimskiddos 07:30 AM 09-07-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
For the dad that awkwardly lingers..i have a dad like that , he stands there like he wants to say something but doesnt know what to say. So what i say is “DCB had a good day! *looks at dcb* ill see you tomorrow, have a good night!”
And then i turn around and go back to the other children.
I do this with most of my dcd's! In fact most do not come through the door at all. The kids are usually dressed and ready to go.
lovemykidstoo 07:45 AM 09-07-2018
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice! It's always nice to get fresh ideas. It is just awkward. I mean if any of these people actually were conversing with me it would be one thing, but I have 2 dads that hold their kids, look at them and really don't say a thing, not even to their kids. They like just stare at them (they're both a year or younger). It's so dang uncomfortable. Then the mom that sits there and talks and plays with her son. Then she talks sooo loud and my husband works 2nd shift so he's still sleeping. None of them come more than 2 feet into my front door, not into the playroom or anywhere else, but still ugh! I stand there with my arms crossed and say nothing. Just leave!
Ariana 01:10 PM 09-07-2018
I always reach for child/baby and take them away from parents and then start walking away from the parents saying “bye X, have a great day”. It works for me. Older kids I take their hands.
knoxmomof2 08:40 PM 09-07-2018
For drop off, always have something you need to do. "Well, Mom. Have a good day, I need to get those dishes finished / that table wiped down / breakfast started before the rest of the kids arrive" .. reach out for DCK. If that doesn't work, try "hey, if you're going to be a minute I have some setting up I need to get done. Just call for me when you're ready" and start to walk away. If she says she's ready, reach out for the kid and say "come on DCK, can you be my big helper? Have a good day, Mom!" walk away.

For pick up, I just say "no poops/ he pooped, good/ bad appetite, good nap. Have a good night!" Wave, start walking away. That's generally enough.
Unregistered 03:41 AM 09-08-2018
My provider recently got one of the those Dutch doors install. Some customers she has just pass their baby over the door.. Guess this is why lolllll

Also please correct your system, Michigan is most certainly on Lake Erie!
lovemykidstoo 06:54 AM 09-09-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My provider recently got one of the those Dutch doors install. Some customers she has just pass their baby over the door.. Guess this is why lolllll

Also please correct your system, Michigan is most certainly on Lake Erie!
What system?
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 09-09-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
What system?
You have to answer a question to post unregistered
More than likely it was a spelling or capitalization error
lovemykidstoo 07:17 AM 09-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You have to answer a question to post unregistered
More than likely it was a spelling or capitalization error
Oh got ya lol. Thought what did i miss haha
Tags:buh-bye outside, detach from children, kiss-n-go lane, lingering parents - at drop off
Reply Up