Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providers Who Have Had DCK'S Since 6 Months Or Earlier In Age?
littlemisssunshine 02:13 PM 09-13-2012
Ok, so for only this week I had a dck come with me because his original provider went on one week vacation so he is just temporary.

Right away he fit in and it seemed as if he's been here everyday. It wasnt hard at all to get him into my schedule as in play time, nap etc. He was very well behaved and could actually sit and listen to a story washed his hands after using toilet without being told, laid down when told without getting up and moving 100 times! LOL!

He is 3.5 years old... anyway all my other dck's started with me around when they were 2-5 years old and til this day I still have to tell them 100 times the same thing over for them to listen. Anyway is it easier when kids have already been to daycare?

He seems so much more well behaved. I wish all my kids started young with me so I could mold them!!! sigh...
lovemykidstoo 02:28 PM 09-13-2012
It really depends. For the most part I think it's easier to have them from birth literally. That way they grow up with you and know right from the beginning how things are at your house. although I have had a couple that I had from birth and couldn't wait until they went to school LOL!
Heidi 02:32 PM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by littlemisssunshine:
ok so for only this week i had a dck come with me because his original provider went on one week vacation so he is just temporary right away he fit in and it seemed as if hes been here everyday it wasnt hard at all to get him into my schedule as in play time, nap etc. he was very well behaved and could actually sit and listen to a story washed his hands after using toilet without being told, laid down when told without getting up and moving 100 times! LOL he is 3.5 years old... anyway all my other dck's started with me around when they were 2-5 years old and til this day i still have to tell them 100 times the same thing over for them to listen anyway is it easier when kids have already been to daycare he seems so much more well behaved i wish all my kids started young with me so i could mold them!!! sigh...
are you typing this on your phone? lol NOT being mean, but take a breath (break up the paragraphs)!

Yes, I think it IS easier to train them from early on. Or, if you have a group of kids that have been with you, and then ONE older one joins the group. I have been toying with the idea of changing to birth-to-3 only, but then I think about having to loose out on my first dck, who will be 3 in March, so I'm not sure about that!
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 09-13-2012
Oh honey....listening and following the rules have NOTHING to do with being a newbie or being enrolled since birth....

Most of my kids have been with me since sometime in their first 12 months and of course I have a couple who must be told things several times before listening or complying.

I think it has more to do with personality and their own ability to follow directions, want to please and go with the flow.

The only thing that is beneficial from having the kids from an early age is they are on MY schedule earlier so that makes the daily easy and they know at an early age who rules the roost here.

..other than that, the rest is all a lottery....you get lucky sometimes with a really easy going kid and other times, you have to fight constantly to get them to follow the rules and when they finally "get it" they are usually heading off to Kindy.
BumbleBee 02:41 PM 09-13-2012
I agree that it can be easier when you've had them from itty bitty. Though I think parents play a role in this too. Parents who say something but don't follow through tend to have kids that you have to tell 100 times and they still don't get it. Or the parents just do everything for the kid because they don't want to wait.

However, I also think the childs temperment factors in as well.

Glad your temporary little guy fit right in! Makes it sooo much easier
cheerfuldom 02:41 PM 09-13-2012
I think it is easier to start babies in care. I recently took a 3 year old that has been a nightmare...not sure if she is going to last here. but like Black Cat said, even starting an infant doesnt mean that they will be a breeze....some kids are just harder than others. But even with all that said, I think I will go back to my rule of not beginning any kids that are 3 and 4 (even though I will keep kids up thru kinder). It can be a lot of work to get older kids into the already existing routine, especially when they have a lot of bad habits to break.
Nickel 06:16 PM 09-13-2012
Idk. I have an 11mnth old dcg that is a dream. You can tell that she has been.in daycare. She is well adjusted, lays down when you put her.in the pnp, plays well with others. She is really a dream! Then i had an 8mnth old screamer who had never been in daycare ever. I couod tell!!!
Reply Up