Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB has diarrhea.....I have a sick policy....WWYD?
LaLa1923 12:51 PM 06-10-2013
DCB had diarrhea on Friday, He had it over the weekend. He also has a severe diaper rash and had 6 loose stools today. My exclusion policy says to stay home for 48 hours. Mom says it's because he's teething but IMO it's not ok no matter what the reason. Especially if he has a severe diaper rash. If he has something we've already been exposed.

Mom called the doctor and he said he does not need to be seen, just give lots of carbs and avoid fruit and juice. If he's not better in a few days then he can come in and be seen.

IMO he should still stay and be home for 48 hours.

WWYD??
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
DCB had diarrhea on Friday, He had it over the weekend. He also has a severe diaper rash and had 6 loose stools today. My exclusion policy says to stay home for 48 hours. Mom says it's because he's teething but IMO it's not ok no matter what the reason. Especially if he has a severe diaper rash. If he has something we've already been exposed.
Diarrhea is diarrhea. Who cares what it's caused from? It isn't like it is easier or more sanitary to deal with because it's from teething and not illness...kwim?

It's still a sanitary issue.

Mom called the doctor and he said he does not need to be seen, just give lots of carbs and avoid fruit and juice. If he's not better in a few days then he can come in and be seen.

WWYD??
The doctor is NOT the one caring for him so I don't allow doctors to tell me when to allow a child back in to care. I decide that.

I allow a doctor's note for diagnosis ONLY.

I would call mom and have her pick up.

I wouldn't allow him to return until he was diarrhea free for a FULL 48 hours.

Ewww!
Heidi 01:26 PM 06-10-2013
He should not be at daycare. I had a mom tell me once "well, adults go to work with diarrhea all the time".

Yeah...adults who don't dig in their pants (hopefully), and who wash their hands regularly (hopefully). Even so, things go around the office, don't they?

Your toddler, on the other hand, has no qualms about sticking her hand in her diaper, wiping her little hands everywhere, or mouthing toys.
2grls4us 02:03 PM 06-10-2013
Remember this is YOUR business and YOU wrote the sick policy. YOUR decision is the one that matters.
I would probably say something to the parents like "for the safety of your child and others you need to not return with your child until he is free of symptoms for 48 hours."

Last time I disagreed with a parent the dad tried to drop off with dcg running 103.5 temp. He was holding her when I took the temp and still argued....Mom called me before the day was over to tell me the child did not have a fever and was lucky her mother in law was able to take off work. She ended up being gone for 3 days due to high temp and diaper rash I think they even took her to the urgent care that night.

Can't be to careful. You have more than just that family to think of.
momofboys 02:04 PM 06-10-2013

WWYD??
I haven't read any other responses BUT he needs to stay home - I think BC says something great about excluding for SYMPTOMS not for why they have said symptoms. So even if it is teething (yeah, right!) they need to stay home. Be Firm, you can do this! And on a personal note if I had a child in my care who had 2 diarehha episodes I would be calling for pick-up. I am not going to deal with that. Yuck! Good luck - KUP!
Crystal 02:05 PM 06-10-2013
Are you sure Mom contacted the Doctor? I ask, because that is ALOT of diarrhea and is VERY dangerous. I wouldn't want the liability of the child becoming severely dehydrated and possibly dying. And, it CAN happen THAT fast. My daughter was ill with diarrhea for less than 24 hours and by the time I got her to the hospital she had no oxygen to her brain and no blood pressure. She was technically dead. They said if I hadn't gotten there when I did they would not have been able to save her. I do not take ANY chances with diarrhea.

I'd tell her the child MUST be seen by a doctor AND must be diarrhea free for 24 hours before returning. I'd also be tempted to ask Mom why she wouldn't WANT to take care of her child to ensure her safety instead of bringing her to daycare.
daycare 02:06 PM 06-10-2013
go home and stay home for a full 48 hours..

I tell parents this....Because I am not a doctor we have no clue what the cause is. (as pp said) ---------- for the safety of your child and others you need to not return with your child until he is free of symptoms for 48 hours." It is always better to be safe than sorry.
Cradle2crayons 02:07 PM 06-10-2013

WWYD??
I'd stick with my exclusion policy. If it says 48 hours, that's exactly what I'd do

My policy says 24 hours after the stools are forms they can return. Ifntheynlie and send them back, then I send them home for 48 hours.
kelliott 02:10 PM 06-10-2013
my dcp once sent my son home after having diarrhea ONE time..!!.. it was extremely inconvenient and i just felt that she wasn't really concerned..she just wanted the one less kid there :/

BUT, 6 times?!.. even HALF that is reason enough for a child to stay home! on top of the other kids you need to take care of, you can't revolve your day around cleaning one kid's tush and planning meals according to what he can and can't have.. i would have mama pick him up if i were in your position.. and not even that..but in this heat, she should be concerned about him more than anyone else with the chance of dehydration
CrackerJacks 02:13 PM 06-10-2013
My exclusion for diareaha is...they need to have solid stools for 48hrs before returning. Same goes for vomiting...must be vomit free for 48hrs. Diareaha and vomitibg are the two that I have no leaneancy on. I can give or take a little runny nose or cough, but not the tummy issues.
daycare 02:14 PM 06-10-2013
not sure what your policy says about diarrhea, but mine says that after two cases of it the child must go home. I won't let the child stay past two.
MarinaVanessa 04:05 PM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Diarrhea is diarrhea. Who cares what it's caused from? It isn't like it is easier or more sanitary to deal with because it's from teething and not illness...kwim?

It's still a sanitary issue.
I agree. I would also require the child to stay home. I require children with diarrhea to stay home for 24 hours after their last bout of diarrhea (48 hours if I have to send the child home). I send the child home after the second episode.

Here is some good information that I read in my college book "Health, Safety, and Nutrition for the Young Child".

Diarrhea
The term diarrhea refers to frequent watery or very soft bowel movements ...

Cause Diarrhea can either be infectious or noninfectious. Infectious forms of diarrhea include
Causes of noninfectious diarrhea can include:
... Frequent or prolonged diarrhea can result in dehydration, especially in infants and toddlers... Because excessive dehydration can be fatal in infants and young children, they should be observed closely for:
Management It is important to monitor and record the frequency (number) and amount (small, large) of bowel movements. The color, consistency, and presence of any blood, mucus, or pus should also be noted ...
Children who have experienced diarrhea during the past 24 hours should be excluded from group settings. Exceptions to this policy would include children whose diarrhea resulted from non-contagious conditions such as food allergies, changes to diet, or recent treatment of antibiotics. However, even these children may not feel well enough to attend school and participate in the day's activities. The problem and inconvenience of frequent accidental soiling may also be too time-consuming for the teachers to manage.
Play Care 02:52 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by kelliott:
my dcp once sent my son home after having diarrhea ONE time..!!.. it was extremely inconvenient and i just felt that she wasn't really concerned..she just wanted the one less kid there :/
Many of us have a ONE time policy How many times should we have to change and wash a child, sanitize furniture, carpeting, and toys while watching several other children? I had to send a child home yesterday afternoon because he was running a fever, and per policy he is excluded today. I can assure you my day will not be any easier with ONE child missing out of seven dc kids I typically have.
momofboys 06:00 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by kelliott:

BUT, 6 times?!.. even HALF that is reason enough for a child to stay home! on top of the other kids you need to take care of, you can't revolve your day around cleaning one kid's tush and planning meals according to what he can and can't have.. i would have mama pick him up if i were in your position.. and not even that..but in this heat, she should be concerned about him more than anyone else with the chance of dehydration
She was probably trying to avoid cleaning up round #2. I don't blame her one bit!! Diarrhea is nothing to to fool around with especially if you have multiple kids who could contract it.
momofboys 06:01 AM 06-11-2013
Curious as to what happened - did parent try to send child?
jenn 06:20 AM 06-11-2013
Diarrhea for any reason equals stay home. Even if they have a drs note stating what or why or that it's OK to come, I still follow the stay home until diarrhea free for 24 hours.
LaLa1923 06:31 AM 06-11-2013
I let mom know he needed to bed home for a minimum of 24 hours, that he may return once he is eating a regular diet and doesn't have any more runny diapers.
He may return Wednesday IF he meets these requirements.

If he returns on Wednesday and has a runny diaper again he will be sent home and will then need to remain home for the rest of the week.

Mom said OK thanks.
Tags:infectious teething
Reply Up